- Can't tolerate bullying: Kangana RanautAbRam gets magic in SRK's lifeUnknown facts about Shahid KapoorPriyanka Chopra to attend 2017 OscarsSelect right jewellery for wedding functionsPlastic surgery goes wrong for Ayesha TakiaMy scenes in 'Rangoon' were cut: Kangana RanautA fasting diet may help to reverse diabetes'Rangoon': An impressively immersive filmMahashivaratri Wallpapers and Facebook images
Sanjeev Rajput finished fifth in the mens 50m Rifle 3 Positions event on a disappointing d
British PM urged to declare investments in 'blind trust' IANS Last Updated : 11 Jan 2017 05:17:16 PM IST (File Photo)
May had set up a blind trust when she became the PM, despite previously serving in the Cabinet for six years as Home Secretary, said the report in the Independent on Wednesday.
Downing Street insisted that May used what is a "well-established mechanism" when she set up the trust to manage her financial interests on becoming Prime Minister.
"I'm sure the Prime Minister has nothing to hide but the public has a legitimate interest in what companies she invested in and who runs the trust," Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron was quoted in the newspaper as saying.
"Theresa May promised the most transparent government in the world. This is an early test to see if her deeds match her words," he said.
Shadow minister without portfolio Andrew Gwynne said: "If the Prime Minister has nothing to hide, then she needs to reveal immediately where she has existing financial interests."
The placing of shares in a blind trust means ministers have no knowledge of how their interests are being invested, to avoid accusations that their decision-making is unduly influenced.
But while ministers use the trusts to avoid conflicts of interest, six serving members of the government hold them. It also means they do not have to reveal their investments in full in the list of ministerial interests, said the report.
"Blind trusts are a well-established mechanism for protecting ministers in the handling of their interests, as they are not involved in any decisions on the management, acquisition or disposal of items in the trust. She set it up when she became Prime Minister," a Number 10 spokeswoman said.
The spokeswoman also said the Prime Minister did not require a blind trust while she was Home Secretary, adding: "The Prime Minister has a far wider set of public duties than the Home Secretary."
The arrangement has proved controversial in the past. Former Prime Minister Tony Blair attracted criticism in 2002 after it emerged his wife Cherie had used money from his blind trust to buy two flats in Bristol.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Kangana credits her success and failures to her growth in Bollywood. "Every single day has
- Fire at warehouse, film city in Bengal, no injuries
- Pics; AbRam gets magic in SRK's life
- No one should instruct adults what to watch: Motwane
- Very rewarding: Taapsee on watching 'Pink' with President
- Kabir Khan slams CBFC for refusing certificate to 'Lipstick...'
- Unknown facts about Shahid Kapoor
- Priyanka Chopra to attend 2017 Oscars
- Big B, Taapsee to watch 'Pink' with President
If you are living in a neighbourhood surrounded by trees and shrubs, with birds chirping
Number of Facebook users across the globe were locked out of their accounts due to an erro