- Know who's who in the new US First Family5 reasons to watch Hrithik Roshan's KaabilMika Singh attends Trump's pre-inaugural dinnerTemperatures remain below freezing point in J&KCoffee With D is fun in a ditzy wayBollywood celebrities who are accused of rapeWas Shahrukh Khan insulting Kajol, Madhuri and Juhi?Pics: Best shots of Yuvraj and DhoniBollywood to rock at Trumph's swearing-in ceremonyBountiful and 'snowful', winter reclaims its glory in Kashmir
India's Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna won their mixed doubles first round matches at the A
Didn't name any religion or community: Sakshi Maharaj defends remarks IANS Last Updated : 11 Jan 2017 06:15:09 PM IST (File photo)
BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj, who was summoned by the Election Commission for his controversial statements on population, said on Wednesday that his remarks were made at a meeting called by religious leaders and he had not taken the name of any religion.
He also demanded a Uniform Civil Code on population control.
"Whatever I said was not at a public meeting or an election rally. I spoke at a meeting called by religious leaders," Maharaj said after coming out of the Election Commission of India headquarters here.
Maharaj said: "I didn't take the name of any religion or community, but only raised concerns over rising population. Population must be controlled, women are not machines to deliver babies."
The BJP MP was summoned by the ECI on Tuesday and issued show cause notice saying that it is prima facie of the opinion that he violated the Model Code of Conduct by making "impugned statements".
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader on January 7 stirred controversy with his comment in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, that, "Population is rising rapidly, and so are the country's problems. But Hindus are not responsible for this. Those who talk about four wives and 40 children are responsible."
The Model Code of Conduct is in place in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh for the Assembly elections. The Supreme Court in a ruling last week said that any appeal for votes on the ground of "religion, race, caste, community or language" amounted to "corrupt practice" under the election law provision.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment ( posted):
Bollywood superstar Aamir Khans sports drama "Dangal" -- which has already garnered the "h
- Commando 2 teaser released, Vidyut on cloud nine
- Priyanka Jagga bags her first Bollywood film
- Ten unknown facts about Sushant
- Kareena to be Anita Dongre's showstopper at LFW finale
- Can't work with people who don't love me: SRK
- Sara Ali and Harshvardhan a new couple in town?
- Kaabil: Watch Hrithik in the latest dialogue promo
- Tamil stars gather for fast in support of Jallikattu
Researchers at IISER-Kolkata's Ant Lab here are exploring why ants take the risk and bear
Marking its 20th anniversary in the country, Digital imaging company Canon India on Friday