- Dev Patel earns Oscar nomination for LionJumbo jackets for elephantsDeven Bhojani explores action streak in Commando 2Subhash Ghai turns 72, B-Town hopes he keeps entertainingKaabil Vs RaeesMeet Matin Rey TanguReview: Kaabil is a winnerSRK saddened by death of fan in VadodaraIs Deepika with Ishaan Khattar in her next international film?In pics: Might and pride of India
Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik remained unbeaten in the second edition of the Pro W
Shoe hurled at Badal; protestor taken into custody IANS Last Updated : 11 Jan 2017 07:04:38 PM IST (File photo)
A shoe was hurled at Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, hitting him on the spectacles on Wednesday.
The incident took place in Rattakhera village, around 250 km from here, in the 89-year-old Chief Minister's constituency Lambi while he was addressing a gathering.
The man, Gurbachan Singh, was nabbed by Badal's security personnel and handed over to police for questioning.
The police found that the shoe-thrower is from Jhurd Khera village near Abohar and Fazilka, and is closely related to radical Sikh leader Amrik Singh Ajnala.
It was learnt that Singh was upset over a recent incident of desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib and the failure of the Punjab government and police to nab the culprits.
Badal, who enjoys Z-plus category security status, continued with his programme even after the incident.
"The incident of shoe-throwing by a person from outside my constituency has proved beyond doubt that our opponents have lost the game and want to scuttle a peaceful, free and fair poll. Here is clear proof that our opponents have conceded defeat in these elections and are now resorting to such disruptive tactics," Badal told media after the incident.
"Behind such incidents are people who want to set Punjab on flames again and push the youth of Punjab back into the jaws of bloodshed, and confrontation from which the people of the state have emerged after unspeakable sacrifices. These desperate elements have the backing of our political rivals," Badal said.
Badal added that the person who hurled the shoe is not even from his (Badal's) Lambi constituency.
"In my long life, I have faced far bigger challenges from elements backed by our political opponents. But I have always had faith in my people," the Chief Minister added.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Indian-origin British actor Dev Patel has received an Oscar nomination for his acting in "
- Pics: Deven Bhojani explores action streak in Commando 2
- Pics:Subhash Ghai turns 72, B-Town hopes he keeps entertaining
- Kaabil Vs Raees
- Meet Matin Rey Tangu
- Review: Kaabil is a winner
- Jackie Chan meets Salman Khan
- Is Deepika with Ishaan Khattar in her next international film?
- Pics: Deewar had best screenplay ever: Amitabh Bachchan
Green vehicles -- hybrid, electric and fuel cell -- are gaining popularity in China owin
Thanks to its components (mainly chips) and semiconductors business, Samsung Electronics h