- Alia Bhatt watches 'Phillauri' with beau SidharthAnushka, Diljit keep believing in the impossible: SRKIndia ashamed of sexuality, physicality: Actress Radhika ApteUnknown facts about Kangana RanautAkshay Kumar has many similarities with my father: Bhushan KumarKanika adds personal touch to 'Diya Aur...' sequelThe incredible journey from Dalip Rana to The Great KhaliNeed a block button for haters: Actor Sunny LeonePHOTOS: Salman, Katrina back togetherB-Town attends Aishwarya Rai's father's chautha
Former Davis cup captain Naresh Kumar on Thursday hoped Indian tennis superstars Leander
Smoking causes glaucoma, other eye diseases: Doctors IANS Last Updated : 20 Mar 2017 10:23:46 AM IST File photo
Besides glaucoma, several other eye diseases, such as age related macular degeneration (AMD), can also be caused or aggravated due to smoking, but only 10-20 per cent people are aware of these facts, they said.
Stating that lifestyle matters a lot for eye-related diseases, the doctors said research papers have proved that smoking increases the risk of AMD and glaucoma.
"Smoking is very much connected to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and dry eye syndrome," Kamal B. Kapur, from Sharp Sight Group of Eye Hospitals, told media.
Kapur said that people who do not smoke, but become passive smokers, also are prone to develop AMD.
Glaucoma is a disease that damages eye's optic nerve, while AMD causes loss in the centre of the field of vision. In dry macular degeneration, the centre of the retina deteriorates. With wet macular degeneration, leaky blood vessels grow under the retina.
AMD begins as a loss of central vision which makes it difficult to read and see fine details. Over time, vision loss increases significantly.
Mahipal Sachdev, Chairperson and Managing Director of city-based Centre for Sight, said: "Vision loss due to smoking does not have any symptoms like many other eye diseases, but a dilated examination can detect eye diseases in their early stages before vision loss occurs."
Some other types of eye-related problems caused by excessive smoking include cataract.
"People, who smoke in excess like 10 cigarettes a day, have up to three times the risk of cataract as non-smokers. Similarly, there is a strong nexus between glaucoma and smoking," said Sachdev.
The doctors said that there is a special need for awareness among people about the strong link between smoking and vision loss.
"In the first place, smoking has to be brought down, which actually leads to the damage of not just lungs and throat but gradually, the eye nerves also get damaged," said Samir Sud, a city-based ophthalmologist.
Talking about the dietary habits, he said that nutrients such as Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and vitamins C and E might help ward off age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataract due to smoking.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
British model David Gandy says social media is a source of depression for people.
- Alia Bhatt watches 'Phillauri' with beau Sidharth
- Michael Shannon in 'Deadpool 2'
- Anushka, Diljit keep believing in the impossible: SRK
- I'm a survivor: Neha Dhupia
- India ashamed of sexuality, physicality: Actress Radhika Apte
- Unknown facts about Kangana Ranaut
- Akshay Kumar has many similarities with my father: Bhushan Kumar
- Kanika adds personal touch to 'Diya Aur...' sequel
A group of birdwatchers spotted an Australian night parrot, once thought to be extinct, fo
Chinese smartphone maker nubia on Monday launched Z11 MINI S smartphone designed for photo