- Taking time to have a personal life: Selena Gomez6 American Tv shows Indians love to watchGionee A1 smartphone: Delight for selfie-loversFeeling beautiful begins with feeling confident, says DeepikaWomen cancer survivors more likely to have pre-term delivery'Golmaal Again' best set I've been on: Parineeti ChopraPhoto : Get hands on skin, hair care tips to combat changing seasonsAnil Kapoor is a delight to work with: Neha SharmaWe're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with AkshayMovie review 'Phillauri': An astutely woven saga
Spain and Italy eased past their opponents to stay unbeaten in Group G of the 2018 footba
Maternal Vitamin D levels may prevent autism in kids IANS Last Updated : 18 Mar 2017 01:01:07 PM IST (File Photo)
The discovery provides further evidence of the crucial role Vitamin D plays in brain development, said lead researcher Darryl Eyles, Professor at University of Queensland.
"We found that pregnant females treated with active vitamin D in the equivalent of the first trimester of pregnancy produced offspring that did not develop these deficits," Eyles added.
Further, recent human studies also showed a link between pregnant women with low Vitamin D levels -- also crucial for maintaining healthy bones -- and the increased likelihood of having a child with autistic traits, the researchers said.
For the study, appearing in journal the Molecular Autism, the team used the most widely accepted developmental model of autism in which affected mice behave abnormally and show deficits in social interaction, basic learning and stereotyped behaviours.
The researchers also revealed that the active hormonal form of Vitamin D cannot be given to pregnant women because it may affect the skeleton of the developing foetus.
New studies are needed to determine how much cholecalciferol -- the supplement form that is safe for pregnant women -- is needed to achieve the same levels of active hormonal Vitamin D in the bloodstream, the researchers said.
Sun exposure is the major source of Vitamin D -- which skin cells manufacture in response to ultraviolet rays -- but it is also found in some foods such as in fatty fish like salmon and tuna, diary products, and cereals.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Singer Selena Gomez, who is currently rumoured to be in a relationship with singer The Wee
- 6 American Tv shows Indians love to watch
- Feeling beautiful begins with feeling confident, says Deepika
- 'Golmaal Again' best set I've been on: Parineeti Chopra
- Anil Kapoor is a delight to work with: Neha Sharma
- We're a great team: Twinkle on marriage with Akshay
- Yogi Adityanath should do 'gas-releasing' asana: Twinkle Khanna
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- 'Peter Gunn' Star Lola Albright dies at 92
A group of birdwatchers spotted an Australian night parrot, once thought to be extinct, fo
At a time when margins are razor-thin in the fast-growing domestic smartphone market, any