- KaranAyushmann, Bhumi in Hindi remake of 'Kalyana Samayal Saadham'SRK to appear on Salman Khan's 'Tubelight'Film fest in Delhi pays homage to Om PuriPics: 'Miss Sloane' to release in India on February 3SRK's conversations with son AbRamTiger population booms in IndiaPHOTOS: Sidharth Malhotra's lavish birthday partyShimla, Manali wrapped in snowMy fashion sense was quite outrageous: Kangana Ranaut
The Indian U-17 football World Cup team lost 0-1 against Iran in the Granatkin Tournament
Mediterranean diet for healthy brain IANS Last Updated : 06 Jan 2017 01:06:04 PM IST (File photo)
"As we age, the brain shrinks and we lose brain cells which can affect learning and memory. This study adds to the body of evidence that suggests the Mediterranean diet has a positive impact on brain health," said Michelle Luciano from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.
For the study, researchers gathered information on the eating habits of 967 Scottish people aged around 70 who did not have dementia.
The findings showed that people who did not follow as closely to the Mediterranean diet were more likely to have a higher loss of total brain volume over three years than those who followed the diet more closely.
The difference in diet explained 0.5 per cent of the variation in total brain volume, an effect that was half the size of that due to normal ageing.
The results were the same when adjusted for other factors that could affect brain volume such as age, education and having diabetes or high blood pressure, the researchers said.
In addition, consuming fish and meat were not related to brain changes, they said. This is contrary to earlier studies.
"It's possible that other components of the Mediterranean diet are responsible for this relationship or that it's due to all of the components in combination," Luciano said.
No relationship was found between grey matter volume or cortical thickness -- which is the outer layer of the brain -- and the Mediterranean diet, the researchers noted.
The study is published online in the journal Neurology.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment ( posted):
Ever wondered why veteran lyricist still remains a favourite of leading Bollywood names ev
- Pics: Why people love Dangal girl Zaira
- Diljit Dosanjh to star in Punjabi superhero film
- Films that didn't work affected me immensely: Vidya
- Meet partners in crime of Mrs Funnybones
- Indian actor Sunny Pawar meets Barack Obama
- Karan "An Unsuitable Boy"
- Zaira, you are a role model for me: Aamir
- Ayushmann, Bhumi in Hindi remake of 'Kalyana Samayal Saadham'
When "Kaa" the hypnotic, yellowish Indian Rock Python hisses and casts a spell on Mowgli i
Samsung India on Tuesday announced the launch of its new smartphone powerhouse 'Galaxy C9