- Dangal mints over Rs 375 crore in IndiaPriyanka Jagga bags her first Bollywood filmTen unknown facts about SushantCold wave continues in J&KDonald Trump, Melania perform first danceKareena to be Anita Dongre's showstopper at LFW finaleCan't work with people who don't love me: SRKMaruti Suzuki Ignis Surpasses 10,000 Bookings Within 20 DaysSara Ali and Harshvardhan a new couple in town?Know who's who in the new US First Family
India's Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna won their mixed doubles first round matches at the A
This app-based game may help smokers quit IANS Last Updated : 05 Jan 2017 05:02:38 PM IST (File Photo)
In the game, players have to swipe a certain number of cigarettes to break them within a time limit.
However, it also incorporates a combination of 37 behavioural change techniques, including showing the player the health consequences of a behaviour, gaining points for grabbing healthy items, or providing virtual financial incentives, to help individuals quit smoking, the researchers said.
"We're essentially trying to 'gamify' health messages and behaviour change techniques as a way of embedding them in a person's mind, in the hope that they will then be able to quit smoking," said Robert Walton, Professor at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
"The good thing about a smartphone gaming app is that you can play it anywhere. Craving is a short-term thing, so if you get a craving at 11am, you can play the game in the warm until it passes, rather than going out into the cold for a cigarette. You've also got something to do with your hands other than smoke," added Hope Caton lecturer at Kingston University.
Rewards in the game are a way of giving smokers instant positive feedback.
"When you're trying to quit smoking you don't get much instant feedback except desire. Your health is better but somehow it doesn't have the same effect as being told you're winning or getting a gold star," Caton explained, in the study published in the journal BMJ.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Aamir Khans sports drama "Dangal" -- which has already garnered the "h
- Commando 2 teaser released, Vidyut on cloud nine
- Priyanka Jagga bags her first Bollywood film
- Ten unknown facts about Sushant
- Kareena to be Anita Dongre's showstopper at LFW finale
- Can't work with people who don't love me: SRK
- Sara Ali and Harshvardhan a new couple in town?
- Kaabil: Watch Hrithik in the latest dialogue promo
- Tamil stars gather for fast in support of Jallikattu
Researchers at IISER-Kolkata's Ant Lab here are exploring why ants take the risk and bear
Marking its 20th anniversary in the country, Digital imaging company Canon India on Friday