- Urvashi did mistake againKatrina Kaif is under no pressureIs Puli a match to Bahubali?Ileana on small breakAlia's dad wants her to encash her popularityNimrat has special feeling for AkshayHas Aishwarya sidelined Irrfan Khan from Jazbaa promotions?Varun Dhawan and Natasha enjoy in MaldivesKnow what were Salman’s life changing tips for Athiya ShettyNeha Dhupia lesser known facts
Reigning world tennis champion Novak Djokovic became a new goodwill ambassador for the UN
Dengue emergency declared in Pakistan's Swat valley Last Updated : 19 Sep 2013 07:08:27 PM IST Dengue deaths rising in Pakistan's Swat valley (File Photo)
A health emergency has been declared in Pakistan's northwestern Swat Valley after the death of 18 people due to dengue.
A report from Peshawar said that more than 5,000 cases were reported in a month.
According to official counts, the mosquito-borne virus has killed 18 people in the valley since August 19. As on September 19, 119 more people were found positive for the disease, Mohammad Wasil, a doctor at Saidu Sharif Hospital, told reporters.
The condition of 32 patients is stated to be critical and they are admitted in the ICU. The total number of affected patients has risen to 5,300.
The health authorities in Swat district of Khyber- Pakthunkhwa province have declared an emergency to cope with the situation in an effective manner.
Wasil said that so far 2,772 patients have been admitted in Saidu Sharif hospital and 2,370 were discharged after treatment.
At the moment, 304 patients are admitted in the hospital, including 12 children and 93 women.
The health authorities in the district have also sought cooperation and assistance of political figures and Ulema to stop the spread of the disease.
The local population and members of the civil society have criticised the district administration and the provincial government for not taking cogent measures to control the disease.
Dengue is spread by mosquitoes that breed in stagnant water and usually bite people during the daytime.
It causes high fever, severe joint and muscle pains and can be fatal.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Shah Rukh Khan has wished luck to star-kids Athiya Shetty and Sooraj Pancholi ah
- We have "fair idea" of motive behind Sheena's murder: Maria
- No pressure to get married: Gauhar Khan
- I don't like the tag of comedy: Rajpal Yadav
- Sharmila Tagore, Taapsee Pannu support Gaurang's pan-India themed show
- Urshavi did mistake again
- Katrina Kaif is under no pressure
- Is Puli a match to Bahubali?
- Ileana on small break
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.