- Famous sex scandals of BollywoodThe lucky girl Sunny LeoneDay2 inside Bigg Boss 8, tears, punishments and fightsAbRam is Veena Malik\'s son!18th death anniversary of hot South Indian actress Silk SmithaChitrangada taking selfie from new mobileHrithik Roshan on Deepika Padukone cleavage controversyYouth killed by White Tiger at Delhi ZooOur souls are connected: Katrina Kaif on Ranbir KapoorNeha Dhupia to turn film producer
The Indo-Zimbawbwean combination of Sania Mirza and Cara Black became the fourth pair to
Saudi Arabia sentences activist to 600 lashes, seven years prison Last Updated : 30 Jul 2013 09:36:56 AM IST Saudi Arabia sentences activist to 600 lashes, seven years prison
A Saudi court sentenced on Tuesday a rights activist to seven years in jail and 600 lashes for setting up a "liberal" network and alleged insults to Islam,activists said.
"Raef Badawi has been sentenced to seven years in jail and 600 lashes," lawyer Waleed Abualkhair wrote on his Twitter account, adding that the judge ordered the closure of the website of the Saudi Liberal Network.
He said Badawi, a co-founder of the Saudi Liberal Network,was charged with criticising the religious police, as well as A judge had referred Badawi in December to a higher court for alleged apostasy, a charge that could lead to the death penalty in the ultra-conservative kingdom.
The judge said at the time that his lower court was not qualified to deal with the case.But the charge of apostasy was dropped today, activists said.
Badawi, 35, was arrested in June last year in the Red Sea city of Jeddah for unknown reasons.
The network that he co-founded with female rights activist Suad al-Shammari, had announced May 7, 2012 a "day of liberalism" in the Muslim kingdom, calling for an end to the influence of religion on public life in Saudi Arabia.
Sharia Islamic law strictly applied in Saudi Arabia stipulates death as a punishment for apostasy, but defendants are usually given the chance to repent and escape being beheaded.
Saudi blogger Hamza Kashgari was deported in February last year from Malaysia to the kingdom and is being held in jail to face blasphemy charges over Twitter comments deemed insulting to the Prophet Mohammed.
Kashgari's comments triggered a wave of calls to execute him, although he later said he repented.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The famous sex scandals that have made headlines.
- The lucky girl Sunny Leone
- Day2 inside Bigg Boss 8, tears, punishments and fights
- AbRam is Veena Malik's son!
- 18th death anniversary of hot South Indian actress Silk Smitha
- Chitrangada taking selfie from new mobile
- Hrithik Roshan on Deepika Padukone cleavage controversy
- Our souls are connected: Katrina Kaif on Ranbir Kapoor
- Neha Dhupia to turn film producer
An 21 years-old American Jasmine Tridevil claims that she had plastic surgery to create a
Samsung will be launching its Tizen phones in india soon to boost falling sales.