- How to spend more time, less money during vacations!'Jack Reacher...': Tom Cruise's finest film in yearsIs it safe to eat chicken amidst this bird flu rumors?Arijit Singh re-dubs for song in 'Tum Bin 2'Movie Review: '31 October': Opens up wounds that never healedVarun Gandhi is a happily married man5 reasons why Shivaay will beat ADHMDiva's Karwa Chauth 2016Indian cricketers visit territorial army camp'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' experience recreated for fans
Russia will host the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the highest level, Vitaly Mutko, Deputy Prim
Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California Last Updated : 03 Jul 2013 12:18:20 PM IST Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California
A Sikh couple was forced to leave a movie theater in California because of wearing kripan, a move which prompted them to seek an apology from the company - AMC Theaters - which runs the cinema complex.
The AMC Theaters on the other hand has justified its decision stating that it has banned weapons of any sorts in its 347 theaters across the United States and Canada.
"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theaters. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff," it said.
However, undeterred, Manjot Singh, who was on a night out with his wife to watch 'Man of Steel' at AMC cinemas in Emeryville, California, has hired an attorney to sue the firm.
"Sikhs are unfortunately often the target of ignorance and discrimination in the United States due to their unique appearance. But just like all other American citizens, Manjot Singh has the right to be treated with dignity and respect in all public accommodations," said Manmeet Singh of the United Sikh, a Sikh advocacy group based in the US.
"What happened to this couple at the AMC Theater in Emeryville - singling them out because of Manjot's appearance - was inexcusable, and we want to make sure that this never happens again to another Sikh patron of the AMC chain," he said in a statement.
Manjot Singh said he was forced to leave the theater on June 22, after over ten humiliating minutes of being made to stand in the lobby. "At no time did Manjot Singh ever display his kirpan,sheathed or unsheathed," United Sikh said, adding a demand has been made to the theater company to preserve and turn over the surveillance video from the incident, apologise to the couple and change its discriminatory policies targeting Sikhs.
In a statement, the AMC Theaters, however, said, "The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathed knife, in clear violation of our rules.
"We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility and we take it very seriously."
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on Saturday said there is no skin show or liplocks in her u
- Producers 'thank' cinema owners for backing 'Ae Dil...' release
- MNS allows release of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil...'
- 'My Father Iqbal': Does not rise to expectations
- Train To Busan movie review
- Akshay releases first look of 'Gold'
- Video: Parineeti rings in birthday with fans
- Know more about Parineeti Chopra
- Award-winning Swachh Bharat short films to be screened at IFFI
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejaswi Yadav has received 44,000 marriage proposals on a What
When Google launched artificial intelligence (AI)-powered premium devices Pixel and Pixel