- Bar Refaeli feels she is too sexyAbhishek Bachchan clash with Bunty WaliaShahrukh completes 23 years in B'woodCheck out adorable pics of Isha Koppikar's little angelSalman wept while watching \'Bajrangi Bhaijaan\'?Other than Ranveer, who wants to marry Deepika Padukone?Sunny Leone shares screen space with Akki!Kareena\'s London talesParineeti moves in her Bandra HouseShahid's Mira may show her first 'jhalak' on JDJ 8
Carli Lloyd and Kelley O'Hara both scored in the second half to put the United States into
Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California Last Updated : 03 Jul 2013 12:18:20 PM IST Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California
A Sikh couple was forced to leave a movie theater in California because of wearing kripan, a move which prompted them to seek an apology from the company - AMC Theaters - which runs the cinema complex.
The AMC Theaters on the other hand has justified its decision stating that it has banned weapons of any sorts in its 347 theaters across the United States and Canada.
"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theaters. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff," it said.
However, undeterred, Manjot Singh, who was on a night out with his wife to watch 'Man of Steel' at AMC cinemas in Emeryville, California, has hired an attorney to sue the firm.
"Sikhs are unfortunately often the target of ignorance and discrimination in the United States due to their unique appearance. But just like all other American citizens, Manjot Singh has the right to be treated with dignity and respect in all public accommodations," said Manmeet Singh of the United Sikh, a Sikh advocacy group based in the US.
"What happened to this couple at the AMC Theater in Emeryville - singling them out because of Manjot's appearance - was inexcusable, and we want to make sure that this never happens again to another Sikh patron of the AMC chain," he said in a statement.
Manjot Singh said he was forced to leave the theater on June 22, after over ten humiliating minutes of being made to stand in the lobby. "At no time did Manjot Singh ever display his kirpan,sheathed or unsheathed," United Sikh said, adding a demand has been made to the theater company to preserve and turn over the surveillance video from the incident, apologise to the couple and change its discriminatory policies targeting Sikhs.
In a statement, the AMC Theaters, however, said, "The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathed knife, in clear violation of our rules.
"We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility and we take it very seriously."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Amber Heard said she does not need to "deny" her sexuality to be herself.
- Can you believe, this is Meenakshi Sheshadri?
- HC defers Salman's appeal to July 13
- Marvel will feature LGBT character in next film
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner getting Divorced
- OMG! Leonardo di Caprio is Kareena Kapoor's dog!
- ABCD 2 dancer a rapist?
- Karan Johar's most controversial statement ever
- Amitabh Bachchan reaches 15 million fan following on Twitter
The state's Technical Education and Training Minister Ujjal Biswas said that the student s