- After Cannes honour, 'Masaan' at Indian theatres on July 24I’m lucky to have good genesLamborghini to build SUV in ItalyFour Espressos in a day keep your fitness awayShakti Kapoor plays a crazy professor in his next film \'Untouched Love\'Is Rekha insecured of Katrina Kaif?New love in Ranveer Singh's life?Shahrukh, Aryan and AbRam look so similarDU admissions to begin tomorrowGreat! Family comedy drama 'Piku' marks 105 Crore
India on Tuesday in New Delhi dropped four key players, including ace drag-flicker Rupinde
Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California Last Updated : 03 Jul 2013 12:18:20 PM IST Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California
A Sikh couple was forced to leave a movie theater in California because of wearing kripan, a move which prompted them to seek an apology from the company - AMC Theaters - which runs the cinema complex.
The AMC Theaters on the other hand has justified its decision stating that it has banned weapons of any sorts in its 347 theaters across the United States and Canada.
"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theaters. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff," it said.
However, undeterred, Manjot Singh, who was on a night out with his wife to watch 'Man of Steel' at AMC cinemas in Emeryville, California, has hired an attorney to sue the firm.
"Sikhs are unfortunately often the target of ignorance and discrimination in the United States due to their unique appearance. But just like all other American citizens, Manjot Singh has the right to be treated with dignity and respect in all public accommodations," said Manmeet Singh of the United Sikh, a Sikh advocacy group based in the US.
"What happened to this couple at the AMC Theater in Emeryville - singling them out because of Manjot's appearance - was inexcusable, and we want to make sure that this never happens again to another Sikh patron of the AMC chain," he said in a statement.
Manjot Singh said he was forced to leave the theater on June 22, after over ten humiliating minutes of being made to stand in the lobby. "At no time did Manjot Singh ever display his kirpan,sheathed or unsheathed," United Sikh said, adding a demand has been made to the theater company to preserve and turn over the surveillance video from the incident, apologise to the couple and change its discriminatory policies targeting Sikhs.
In a statement, the AMC Theaters, however, said, "The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathed knife, in clear violation of our rules.
"We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility and we take it very seriously."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has revealed that he will soon start tweeting in Hindi and
- Hamilton wants to date Jenner
- Kim Kardashian attempts efforts to get pregnant
- After Cannes honour, 'Masaan' at Indian theatres on July 24
- Rihanna posted controversial pic on her Instragram
- PICS:I’m lucky to have good genes
- I have a coolest relationship with God: Justin Bieber
- Shakti Kapoor plays a crazy professor in his next film 'Untouched Love'
- Subhash Ghai to receive IIFA Lifetime Achievement award 2015
Saudi Arabia is planning to build the world's largest hotel with 10,000 rooms at a whoppin
Government will soon launch a mobile application in next three months to enable consumers