- Harbhajan Singh blessed with baby girlExcited, nervous about 'Raees': Mahira KhanTen unknown facts about Huma QureshiPoonam Pandey all set with her new video for her fansBig B celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'Kriti, Sushant excited for last schedule of 'Raabta'Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5We have forgotten about humanity: Priyanka ChopraPeople stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, support
Amandeep Drall carded five under 67 in the second round to grab the lead in the 11th leg o
Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California Last Updated : 03 Jul 2013 12:18:20 PM IST Hate crimes:Sikh couple forced to leave movie theater in California
A Sikh couple was forced to leave a movie theater in California because of wearing kripan, a move which prompted them to seek an apology from the company - AMC Theaters - which runs the cinema complex.
The AMC Theaters on the other hand has justified its decision stating that it has banned weapons of any sorts in its 347 theaters across the United States and Canada.
"Our 'no weapons' policy prohibits guests from carrying weapons of any kind into our theaters. This national policy is for the safety and security of our guests and staff," it said.
However, undeterred, Manjot Singh, who was on a night out with his wife to watch 'Man of Steel' at AMC cinemas in Emeryville, California, has hired an attorney to sue the firm.
"Sikhs are unfortunately often the target of ignorance and discrimination in the United States due to their unique appearance. But just like all other American citizens, Manjot Singh has the right to be treated with dignity and respect in all public accommodations," said Manmeet Singh of the United Sikh, a Sikh advocacy group based in the US.
"What happened to this couple at the AMC Theater in Emeryville - singling them out because of Manjot's appearance - was inexcusable, and we want to make sure that this never happens again to another Sikh patron of the AMC chain," he said in a statement.
Manjot Singh said he was forced to leave the theater on June 22, after over ten humiliating minutes of being made to stand in the lobby. "At no time did Manjot Singh ever display his kirpan,sheathed or unsheathed," United Sikh said, adding a demand has been made to the theater company to preserve and turn over the surveillance video from the incident, apologise to the couple and change its discriminatory policies targeting Sikhs.
In a statement, the AMC Theaters, however, said, "The person in question was approached when our security team noticed the guest was wearing an approximately 5-1/2 inch unsheathed knife, in clear violation of our rules.
"We stand by our policy, as this matter is about the weapon alone and not at all about religious freedoms. The safety and security of all our guests and associates is our duty and responsibility and we take it very seriously."Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Harbhajan Singh and his actress-wife Geeta Basra have been blessed with a baby girl.
- Excited, nervous about 'Raees': Mahira Khan
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Director
- 'Jagga Jasoos' is a much-awaited film for me: Ranbir Kapoor
- 'The BFG' has critical digital effects: Steven Spielberg
- Combination of hard work, luck helped in industry, says Raftaar
- Ten unknown facts about Huma Qureshi
- Sidharth, Katrina's 'Kala Chashma' a hit on YouTube
- Poonam Pandey all set with her new video for her fans
An international team of scientists has identified a rare new species of beaked whale that
Route Mobile Limited, a messaging and voice API company, on Thursday announced it has acqu