- HT Mumbai\'s most stylish awardBedroom secrets for happy married lifeSachin, Lata falicitated during an eventHow horrible these celebs look without makeup!!Salman Khan to marry Iulia VanturSpiritual way for the naughty onesSRK, Deepika at \'Kochadaiiyaan\' music launchRaagini Makkar wins IGT 5Relationship makes Deepika completePICS: Maria Sharapova\'s tips for men\'s tennis
To lengthen careers, men's tennis should have three sets like women's feels Maria Sharapov
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actors Sonakshi Sinha with Anil Kapoor poses during an Hindustan Times Mumbai's
- 'Look simple on wedding day'
- Khloe Kardashian flaunts curves
- On a comeback, Elizabeth Hurley to play TV queen
- How horrible these celebs look without makeup!!
- My boyfriend doesn't allow me to shoot with other men: Shakira
- Madonna announces collaboration with Avicii
- Madhuri's acting made me feel I was on screen: Sampat Pal
- SRK, Deepika at 'Kochadaiiyaan' music launch
You must hae heard about the mating rituals of endemic species Albatross. But you never wa
Nokia's android-based 'Nokia X' will be available in India from March 15 and has been pric