- Was Aishwarya Rai uncomfortable in this gown at Cannes 2015?Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing lineVote for Aishwarya\'s best gown in cannes 2015Salman tweets Varun : Happy ShuddhiShah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support'Jazbaa' is not my come back film: AishwaryaWhy Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan are the leading Bollywood romantic pairFive reasons why Salman walked out of Karan Johar\'s ShuddhiSalman not to do Karan's 'Shuddhi'Review of 'Tanu weds Manu Returns'
The president of Italy's amateur footall federation, Felice Belloli, was sacked from his p
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Former "Baywatch" actress Pamela Anderson is all set to release her new photo and prose bo
- Why Karan Johar's loss will be YRF's gain?
- No, Sunny Leone-Daniel Weber not kicked out of their house!
- SRK discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- PICS:Kim Kardashian fires back on critics
- See what fun the cast of Dil Dhadkne Do has at Comedy Nights with Kapil
- Video+PICS: Aguilera mocked on Miley, Britney, Shakira
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns is a must watch movie, and here are the reasons
- OMG! Salman Khan's Dubsmash with Sonakshi is hilarious
In an unprecedented move, a woman here has placed a matrimonial advertisement in a newspap