- Freida to promote women empowerment at CannesDaily yoga can help reduce multiple sclerosis symptomsRelease of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next yearWear sunglasses to avoid eye damageBig B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards functionWant my fan base to increase in South: HumaSee what Bips made Karan do post weddingAndamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!
A new round of tickets has been put on sale from Thursday for Olympic gymnastics, canoein
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
US-based Indian actress Freida Pinto will reportedly attend the upcoming 69th Cannes Inter
- Randeep Hooda brilliant in 'Sarbjit': Johnny Lever
- SRK, AbRam practise dance moves for KKR match
- Release of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next year
- Justin Bieber being sued for $100,000
- Shekhar Suman again hits out at Kangana Ranaut
- National Awards: Big B 'touched' by president's speech
- Big B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards function
- Evans, Downey Jr helped Holland in justifying Spiderma
In a weird incident in Turkey, a 34-year man was beaten black and blue for doing a lewd ac
Sony India on Monday launched a new portable wireless speaker for music aficionados in Ind