- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
An otherwise reclusive Lakshmi, wife of Pullela Gopichand spills some beans.
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Ileana D'Cruz says her monsoon beauty mantra involves a good cleanse ritual and us
- First Look: Shah Rukh shooting for The Ring
- 'Half Girlfriend' team finishes Cape Town schedule
- Priyanka teams with Jodie Foster to reinvent song
- Aryan Khan flaunts abs at college party
- Won't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena
- Akshay is the most energetic actor: Ranveer
- Katrina and Alia share their fitness secret
- Dedicate Chevalier award to my admirers: Kamal
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
Tech giant Microsoft has acquired artificial intelligence (AI)-based scheduling service Ge