- Katrina Kaif to make Cannes debut with AishwaryaMeet B-Wood sexy teenage kids, ready to enter filmsPollard\'s act was not in bad tasteHow to make your First Date impressivePICS:Jewellers gear up for Akshaya TritiyaMI beat RCB by 18 runs to register first win in IPLSania wants to maintain No. 1 positionSexy Malaika wants to turn choreographerBig B enjoying homemade stories of little AaradhayaSonam Kapoor humbled to play 'Neerja Bhanot'
Indian tennis star Sania Mirza says she would do all it takes to maintain her world number
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Varun Dhawan rushed to hide his girlfriend Natasha Dalal from media when the two were caug
- Kapil Sharma to become a father
- Bollywood celebs mourn Ankit Keshri's death
- Top Bollywood Actresses who gave sexy Item Numbers
- Priyanka, Deepika to dance together
- Sanjay-Karan played imp role in Aish-Abhi's marriage!
- Lindsay Lohan stepmother beats father
- Pics: Eight onscreen love stories of Aish-Abhishek
- Jaya Bachchan had discovered Bold Mamta Kulkarni
The sight of driverless Delhi Metro trains whizzing past stations, crowded and deserted, i
Running out of battery? Yell at your phone to charge it!