- Real hero of India Dr Kalam is no moreJacqueline celebrates one year of 'KICK'Neha issues statement on Twitter postBollywood's smoking divasNigar Khan wedding albumAfter terror attacks in Punjab Delhi, UP put on alertSix new species of spiders found againWhy are Katrina and Ranbir giving contradictory statements on their marriage?Revealed: Besides SRK and Kajol Ajay Devgn a part of Dilwale10 Unknown facts about Kriti Sanon
Beijing and Almaty today embarked on a frantic final lobbying campaign for the 2022 Winter
Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates Last Updated : 07 Mar 2013 10:20:14 AM IST Sex abuse victims list 'dirty dozen' papal candidates
"We want to urge Catholic prelates to stop pretending that the worst is over regarding the clergy sex abuse and cover up crisis," said David Clohessy, director of the US-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
The organisation cited a dozen cardinals from the United States, Mexico, Honduras, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic,Canada, Argentina and Ghana accused of protecting pedophile priests and making offencive public statements.
They are all considered to be contenders to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who was criticised for his handling of the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the church in the United States and Europe.
"Tragically, the worst is almost certainly ahead," he said, adding that the truth of "widespread, longstanding and deeply-rooted" abuse and coverups has "yet to surface in most nations."
SNAP also opposes electing any member of the Roman Curia,the administrative branch of the Holy See."We feel no current Vatican 'insider' has the will to truly 'clean house' in the Vatican and elsewhere,'" Clohessy said in a statement.
"Promoting a Curia member would discourage victims,witnesses, whistleblowers and advocates from reporting wrongdoing." Public denunciations of the media for attacking the church and assertions that claims of widespread abuse were overstated were often cited among reasons to blacklist a papal candidate.
Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana made the list for claiming there were few child molesting clerics in Africa because they didn't tolerate gay people there. Cardinal Dominik Duka of Czech Republic was cited for claiming that only 10 percent of accusations against priests are proven.
Efforts to maintain secrecy rather than report abuse to law enforcement also led to condemnation. Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico made the list for claiming there are no "documented" cases of abuse against minors in Mexico and allegedly concealing multiple child sex abuse allegations.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Jacqueline Fernandez celebrates one glorious year of 'KICK'.
- Neha issues statement on Twitter post
- Bollywood's smoking divas
- Nigar Khan wedding album
- Late Whitney Houston daughter dies at the age of 22
- Why are Katrina and Ranbir giving contradictory statements on their marriage?
- Revealed: Besides SRK and Kajol Ajay Devgn a part of Dilwale
- HC to hear Salman's appeal against conviction from July 30
- Big B impressed with granddaughter's piano playing skill
Yuri Milner, the Russian billionaire who is funding the USD 100 million search for aliens,
If these images are to be believed, we would be seeing a couple of design innovations that