- Who is hotter, Katrina in 'Bang Bang' or Deepika Padukone in 'Happy New Year'Winning is a habit for Mary KomChicken tikka masala loses charm!MMS of Shah Rukh Khan's son's lookalike going viral?OMG! Kangana spotted with a red mark below her neckRevenge time in Bigg Boss 8Manyata arranges Mata Ki Chowki without Sanjay DuttKhoobsurat actor Fawad Khan will kiss in his next Bollywood movie?Sunny Leone is the Jane of \'Tarzan\'Shah Rukh proves he has real abs, not fake
She has proved she has the punch that even almost 10 year young cannot match. She is Mary
Nearly 245 dead in nightclub fire Last Updated : 27 Jan 2013 09:44:19 PM IST Firefighters work to douse a fire at the Kiss Club in Santa Maria city, Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil, Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013. Firefighters say that the death toll from a fire that swept through a crowded nightclub in southern Brazil has risen to 18
At least 245 people died on Sunday when a fire tore through a nightclub packed with university students in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria, police said.
The death toll from the inferno stood initially at 70 but rapidly increased as firefighters searched the charred remains of the "Kiss" club, believed to have been packed with 300-400 revellers at the time of the blaze.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff cut short a visit to Chile, where she was attending a European and Latin American summit, to head to Santa Maria and oversee the response to the tragedy, a Brazilian official said.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blaze, but media reports said the fire broke out early morning when the nightclub was hosting a university party featuring a rock band using pyrotechnics.
Santa Maria fire chief Guido de Melo said the fire caused widespread panic, and that many revellers were trampled or died from smoke inhalation.
"The main cause of death was asphyxiation," de Melo was quoted as saying by Estadao newspaper.
Nightclub fire kills 245 in southern Brazil: Police
Major Cleberson Bastianello, a military police commander in Santa Maria, confirmed that 245 people had been killed and told media persons another 48 had been taken to the hospital, an indication that the toll could climb further.
Pictures published by local media showed firefighters dousing the blackened shell of a red brick building with water to put out the flames.
"We have just gotten the fire under control," Colonel Silvia Fuchs of the local fire department was quoted by the G1 website as saying. "Now we are removing the bodies."
The bodies were taken to a sports stadium that was blocked off by police to keep grieving family members from streaming in. O Globo said a first truck carried 67 corpses followed by another with around 70.
Family members were gathering outside in the hope of getting news of their loved ones. The town is home to the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Keira Knightley says she she enjoys her life to the fullest, so does not bother ab
- Who is hotter, Katrina in 'Bang Bang' or Deepika Padukone in 'Happy New Year'
- Vishal Bhardwaj wants to work with Shweta Basu
- MMS of Shah Rukh Khan's son's lookalike going viral?
- OMG! SRK’s son Aryan’s lookalike's MMS goes viral on WhatsApp
- OMG! Kangana spotted with a red mark below her neck
- This is what Katrina said about Kareena Kapoor
- Revenge time in Bigg Boss 8
- Manyata arranges Mata Ki Chowki without Sanjay Dutt
A class 12th student, identified as Maqsood, was mauled by a white tiger at Delhi Zoo on T
BlackBerry on Monday launched its new smartphone BalckBerry Passport for Rs 49, 990 in Ind