- My wife is my life guru: Jon HammRCB canter to 10-wicket win over DaredevilsTelugu actress arrested in smuggling caseLively reveals something secreteCSK spin their way to thumping win over Kings XI PunjabDeepika has something to worry aboutSee Bollywood sexy babes in nightwearPiku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistryBipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!Rare photos of B'day boy Varun Dhawan
Sachin Tendulkar is furious about the news of his daughter Sara making a Bollywood debut.
Nearly 245 dead in nightclub fire Last Updated : 27 Jan 2013 09:44:19 PM IST Firefighters work to douse a fire at the Kiss Club in Santa Maria city, Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil, Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013. Firefighters say that the death toll from a fire that swept through a crowded nightclub in southern Brazil has risen to 18
At least 245 people died on Sunday when a fire tore through a nightclub packed with university students in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria, police said.
The death toll from the inferno stood initially at 70 but rapidly increased as firefighters searched the charred remains of the "Kiss" club, believed to have been packed with 300-400 revellers at the time of the blaze.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff cut short a visit to Chile, where she was attending a European and Latin American summit, to head to Santa Maria and oversee the response to the tragedy, a Brazilian official said.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blaze, but media reports said the fire broke out early morning when the nightclub was hosting a university party featuring a rock band using pyrotechnics.
Santa Maria fire chief Guido de Melo said the fire caused widespread panic, and that many revellers were trampled or died from smoke inhalation.
"The main cause of death was asphyxiation," de Melo was quoted as saying by Estadao newspaper.
Nightclub fire kills 245 in southern Brazil: Police
Major Cleberson Bastianello, a military police commander in Santa Maria, confirmed that 245 people had been killed and told media persons another 48 had been taken to the hospital, an indication that the toll could climb further.
Pictures published by local media showed firefighters dousing the blackened shell of a red brick building with water to put out the flames.
"We have just gotten the fire under control," Colonel Silvia Fuchs of the local fire department was quoted by the G1 website as saying. "Now we are removing the bodies."
The bodies were taken to a sports stadium that was blocked off by police to keep grieving family members from streaming in. O Globo said a first truck carried 67 corpses followed by another with around 70.
Family members were gathering outside in the hope of getting news of their loved ones. The town is home to the Federal University of Santa Maria.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
British actress Michelle Keegan has been voted as the sexiest woman in the world in a surv
- Meet gorgeous girl Urvashi
- Finally! Ranbir Kapoor admits he is in love
- Check credibility before donating, says Manisha Koirala
- When Ranbir took Virat's ladylove in his arms
- When Kangana posed frontal nude
- Why Kareena met Shahid's fiancee's ex boyfriend?
- Kangana, Mamata Kulkarni, Madakini posed frontal nude
- Shahid shattered, fiancee Mira Rajput's pics with ex boyfriend go viral
In a shocking incident, an infant died of suffocation after her 25-year-old mother alleged
Asus India launched the successor to their much-loved Zenfone range in the Asus Zenfone 2,