- 'The Man Who Knew...' unravels the mystique of Ramanujan Rating: *****Divyanka Tripathi bags maximum honours at Star Parivaar Awards 2016Olympics: India clubbed with Germany in hockey Pool BKamal Haasan to revive Balram Naidu characterSunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISSPreity Zinta to host reception in MumbaiBipasha Basu mehendi ceremony detailsSussanne supports Hrithik on 'intimate' photo leakMake your attire funky with different neck piecesApple sales fall after 13 years
) Indian boxing sensation Vijender Singh has promised his fans another big knockout win wh
Sunita Williams lands in Kazakhstan Last Updated : 19 Nov 2012 09:54:59 AM IST File photo: Sunita Williams
Indian-American Sunita Williams and her two co-astronauts Flight Engineers Yuri Malenchenko and Aki Hoshide have landed safely near the town of Arkalyk in Kazakhstan on Monday.
Record-setting Williams returned to Earth from the International Space Station, touching down on the steppes of central Kazakhstan, after spending four months in orbit.
It was a perfect landing for Williams and two astronauts, Flight Engineers Yuri Malenchenko and Aki Hoshide, as they touched down in the dark, chilly expanses of central Kazakhstan on board a Russian Soyuz capsule.
The three astronauts landed at 0726 IST in the town of Arkalyk.
Helicopters rushed with the search-and-recovery crew to assist them, as their capsule parachuted down some 35 kilometres from the planned touchdown site due to a procedural delay.
Another three astronauts remain on board the International Space Station (ISS) and will return next year.
Earlier, the trio bid farewell to their fellow astronauts at the ISS, Flight Engineers Kevin Ford, Evgeny Tarelkin and Oleg Novitskiy.
The trio undocked from the Rassvet module of the ISS on Sunday.
The return of Williams, Hoshide and Malenchenko has wrapped up a 127-day space journey for them, since their launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on July 15, this year, including 125 days spent aboard the ISS.
Williams, 47, now has spent a total of 322 days in space during her two long-duration missions. She previously served aboard the ISS as an Expedition 14/15 flight engineer from December 9, 2006, to June 22, 2007.
Williams now also holds the record for spacewalking time for female astronauts.
Williams has a total of 50 hours and 40 minutes of spacewalking time over seven spacewalks, including the three she conducted during Expeditions 32 and 33.
This was the second trip into space for Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, who visited the station as an STS-124 mission specialist aboard space shuttle Discovery in 2008.
Russian Soyuz Commander Malenchenko wrapped up his fifth spaceflight for a total of 642 days in space, placing him seventh on the all-time endurance list.
NASA TV will air its post-landing video file, including interviews with the crew, later.
The undocking signals the end of Expedition 33 and the start of Expedition 34 under the command of Ford, who will remain on the station with Novitskiy and Tarelkin until March.
Williams transferred the helm of the orbiting laboratory to Ford during a change of command ceremony on Saturday.
Three additional Expedition 34 flight engineers -- NASA astronaut Tom Marshburn, Canadian Space Agency astronaut Chris Hadfield, and Russian Federal Space Agency cosmonaut Roman Romanenko -- are scheduled to launch from Baikonur on December 19 and dock to the station two days later for a five-month stay.
Hadfield will become the first Canadian to command the station when Ford, Novitskiy and Tarelkin depart, marking the start of Expedition 35.
The Soyuz remains the only means for international astronauts to reach the orbiting laboratory since the decommissioning of the US shuttle fleet in 2011.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
How does one describe, let alone cinematically circumscribe, the life of an unvarnished ge
- 'Mother's Day': A light-hearted celebration.
- Unfair to call me 'arrogant' for supporting Salman: Salim Khan
- 'Make In India' most important initiative by Modi: SRK
- Neetu Chandra writes open letter to Alia Bhatt, Chaubey
- Divyanka Tripathi bags maximum honours at Star Parivaar Awards 2016
- For outsiders, Bollywood is a huge gamble: Actor Swara Bhaskar
- Kamal Haasan to revive Balram Naidu character
- Preity Zinta to host reception in Mumbai
Is it true that fashion affects the personality? but it has certain tendency to achieve so
Gone are the days when laptops were marketed as fastest, smartest, biggest or best on the