- Andamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: SurveySteps to buy sunglassesGo the foreign way while munching French friesBaaghi collects 35 crores in opening weekendBipasha shares her 'monkey wedding' picsBig B gets inspiration from fans' love
FIFA's acting secretary general, the German-Swiss Markus Kattner, was dismissed with immed
72 tonnes of food aid for quake-struck Guatemala Last Updated : 18 Nov 2012 09:51:43 AM IST 72 tonnes of food aid for quake-struck Guatemala
The World Food Program has begun distributing some 72 tons of emergency food aid to help victims of last week's powerful earthquake, officials at the international agency said.
"We are working diligently to continue giving an immediate response to the needs of people in need of shelter," Anne Valand, an official with the United Nations-run group, said in a statement yesterday.
The WFP said the food aimed to help the Central American country's 13,000 quake victims, many of whose homes were damaged and live disrupted by the November 7 quake off the coast of western Guatemala.
Forty-four people died in the 7.4 magnitude quake, making it the country's most violent seismic event since 1976 whenalmost 23,000 people perished in an earthquake. The same area was hit by a 6.2-magnitude aftershock three days later.
The food aid included corn, beans, cooking oil and enriched flour, said the WFP, which said the staples were meant to tide over needy families for about 10 days.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Super sexy Sofia Hayat's monk hood is the talk of the town; see what she looked like befor
- Media has dishonoured Iulia: Salman
- Sushmita celebrates 22 years of her Miss Universe win
- Kangana Ranaut attends VERO MODA store launch, unveils new line
- Ayushmann tries Chaplin-inspired look for 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'
- Big B 'nervous' about singing in 'TE3N'
- Mallika Sherawat's selfie moment with Mads Mikkelsen
- Sonam Kapoor gives desi twist to her look for amfAR Gala
- Are Hrithik-Sussane considering a comeback
While playing with your pooch at home helps evoke love and compassion in you, researchers
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
Video: Man showed private parts in bus beaten by women
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Coolpad on Friday launched a new smartphone that comes wit