- Why Akshay Kumar did not celebrate DiwaliWhy Shraddha uncomfortable in kissing Emraan HashmiLava from Hawaii\'s Kilauea Volcano advancing,evacuation to beginHow Aaradhya Bachchan celebrated Diwali with familyAnushka and Virat spotted together againAamir Khan\'s special for Sanjay DuttNathuram Godse should have killed Nehru, not GandhiThunderous response to Shah Rukh Khan\'s Happy New Year:Rs 44.97 crore on Day 1Amitabh\'s Jalsa turns star studded this DiwaliDeepika challenges Sunny Leone
Simona Halep crushed AgnieszkaRadwanska 6-2 6-2 to join Serena Williams in the champions
Gaza flotilla raid:Turkey to try Israeli top brass Last Updated : 06 Nov 2012 10:35:12 AM IST Gaza flotilla raid:Turkey to try Israeli top brass
An Istanbul court is set to begin the trial on Tuesday of four top Israeli commanders Turkey blames for a deadly 2010 raid on a Gaza-bound ship, a case likely to rekindle tensions between former allies Turkey and Israel.
The accused officials are: Former military chief of staff Gaby Ashkenazi, former Navy chief Eliezer Marom, former military intelligence head Amos Yadlin and former Air Force intelligence chief Avishai Levy.
Tomorrow's hearing comes months after the court approvedan indictment by prosecutors, who are seeking life sentences for the top Israeli officials in the deadly maritime assault.
The accused are all but certain not to attend the trial,after Israel ruled that those who took part in the raid didnothing wrong.One of the five plaintiff lawyers, Buhari Cetinkaya, told that prosecutors had looked up the chain of command after failing to identify all the troops who actually carried out the raid.
"We had identified some of the Israeli commandos involvedin the raid but I think the prosecutor was not able to verify from the Israeli side," Cetinkaya said.
"So the case landed on the four Israeli commanders, as thedecision passed down through a mechanism headed by these people," the lawyer added.
Israeli commandos boarded the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara, the largest ship in a flotilla aimed at breaking Israel's Gaza blockade, on May 31, 2010, leaving nine Turkish activists dead.
Last year, an Israeli probe ruled the raid did not violate international law, in a finding that Turkey said lacked credibility.A United Nations report in September 2011 found Israel had used "excessive" force in the raid, but also said Israel's naval blockade of Gaza was legal and that the flotilla organisers had acted "recklessly" in attempting the mission.
The raid triggered a crisis between Israel and Turkey,once regional allies, and resulted in a dramatic downgrade in diplomatic relations and expelling of the Israeli ambassador from Turkey. Military ties were also cut.
In May, Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon said he was expecting foreign diplomatic pressure on Turkey to stop the trial that could have "wide-ranging implications for NATOand US forces," which frequently board ships suspected ofterror activity.
Last month, Israeli troops boarded a Finnish-flagged ship after it tried to breach Israel's tight maritime embargo on Gaza, which prohibits all naval traffic in and out of the coastal territory.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Akshay Kumar and his family did not celebrate the festival of Diwali this year.
- Why Shraddha uncomfortable in kissing Emraan Hashmi
- How Aaradhya Bachchan celebrated Diwali with family
- Sadashiv Amrapurkar critically ill
- Anushka and Virat spotted together again
- Katie Price wants to sell breast implants to fan
- Rajinikanth first look in ‘Lingaa’
- We will never remake 'Awara': Randhir Kapoor
- Lindsay Lohan gets upset when asked about imprisonment
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country