- Shahid's Mira may show her first 'jhalak' on JDJ 8'Marriage' means you weigh more!\'Fifty Shades of Grey\' author pens new romantic novelDon't sip poison in form of Sugary drinks!Abhishek Bachchan completed 15 years in bollywood industryShahid-Mira\'s last minute prepsRohit\'s punctuality makes work pathetic: SRKWhoa! Chaplin inspired VidyaPriyanka Vadra land deal to be made public in 10 daysSalman Khan, Amitabh Bacchan on Forbes Rich List. No Shah Rukh Khan
It will be a very different kind of first serve at this year's Wimbledon tennis championsh
Gaza flotilla raid:Turkey to try Israeli top brass Last Updated : 06 Nov 2012 10:35:12 AM IST Gaza flotilla raid:Turkey to try Israeli top brass
An Istanbul court is set to begin the trial on Tuesday of four top Israeli commanders Turkey blames for a deadly 2010 raid on a Gaza-bound ship, a case likely to rekindle tensions between former allies Turkey and Israel.
The accused officials are: Former military chief of staff Gaby Ashkenazi, former Navy chief Eliezer Marom, former military intelligence head Amos Yadlin and former Air Force intelligence chief Avishai Levy.
Tomorrow's hearing comes months after the court approvedan indictment by prosecutors, who are seeking life sentences for the top Israeli officials in the deadly maritime assault.
The accused are all but certain not to attend the trial,after Israel ruled that those who took part in the raid didnothing wrong.One of the five plaintiff lawyers, Buhari Cetinkaya, told that prosecutors had looked up the chain of command after failing to identify all the troops who actually carried out the raid.
"We had identified some of the Israeli commandos involvedin the raid but I think the prosecutor was not able to verify from the Israeli side," Cetinkaya said.
"So the case landed on the four Israeli commanders, as thedecision passed down through a mechanism headed by these people," the lawyer added.
Israeli commandos boarded the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara, the largest ship in a flotilla aimed at breaking Israel's Gaza blockade, on May 31, 2010, leaving nine Turkish activists dead.
Last year, an Israeli probe ruled the raid did not violate international law, in a finding that Turkey said lacked credibility.A United Nations report in September 2011 found Israel had used "excessive" force in the raid, but also said Israel's naval blockade of Gaza was legal and that the flotilla organisers had acted "recklessly" in attempting the mission.
The raid triggered a crisis between Israel and Turkey,once regional allies, and resulted in a dramatic downgrade in diplomatic relations and expelling of the Israeli ambassador from Turkey. Military ties were also cut.
In May, Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon said he was expecting foreign diplomatic pressure on Turkey to stop the trial that could have "wide-ranging implications for NATOand US forces," which frequently board ships suspected ofterror activity.
Last month, Israeli troops boarded a Finnish-flagged ship after it tried to breach Israel's tight maritime embargo on Gaza, which prohibits all naval traffic in and out of the coastal territory.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Shahid Kapoor's would be wife Mira Rajput may make her debut appearance on
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' author pens new romantic novel
- Abhishek Bachchan completed 15 years in bollywood industry
- Shahid-Mira's last minute preps
- Rohit's punctuality makes work pathetic: SRK
- Rihanna adopts abandoned puppy
- Whoa! Chaplin inspired Vidya
- FIR registered against Sunny deol
- Matt Gerald cast in 'Shot Caller'
The state's Technical Education and Training Minister Ujjal Biswas said that the student s
Those days are gone, when you have to depend on touch screens and buttons to control your