- India launches its biggest rocketPICS: Prasoon Joshi pens poem on Peshawar massacreMeet Mr Praveen Mast the real 'PK'Leone calls Salman her godfatherThe Lunchbox named best film in TorontoHow Malala Yousafzai was sot dead:See in picsShocking pictures of Peshawar school attackFarha to replace Salman in 'Bigg Boss 8'Exclusive coffee table book for 'Kick' fansSchoolchildren observe silence
Boxer Sarita Devi, who had refused to accept her Asian Games bronze medal, was on Wednesda
WikiLeaks disclosures caused no damage to US:Manning Lawyer Last Updated : 19 Jul 2012 12:08:58 PM IST WikiLeaks disclosures caused no damage to US:Manning Lawyer
A US soldier ,Bradley Manning accused of passing a trove of documents to WikiLeaks has asked a military judge to allow him to cite evidence showing his leak caused no damage to the United States.
A defense lawyer for US Army private Bradley Manning argued that his client took care to disclose files that would not harm US interests and subsequent government reports have shown no major "injury" was caused.
But prosecutors countered that the potential harm caused by the disclosures is irrelevant to the court-martial and that Manning committed a crime simply by leaking classified information without permission.
Manning's lead attorney, David Coombs, faced tough questions at the pre-trial hearing from Judge Denise Lind, who said at one point the defense's argument was "confusing."
"How is something that happened after the fact (leak) relevant?" Lind asked.The judge made no ruling on the issue yesterday but if she bars evidence related to the possible harm caused by the leaks, it would represent a major blow to Manning's defense.
The trial is due to begin in September for Manning, 24,who faces a possible life sentence if convicted of aiding the enemy by giving hundreds of thousands of secret documents to WikiLeaks, the secret-spilling website.
The baby-faced soldier, who attended the hearing clad in a dress uniform, was a low-ranking intelligence analyst deployed in Iraq when he was arrested in May 2010 and accused of releasing thousands of classified military logs from Iraq and Afghanistan and State Department diplomatic cables.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Filmmaker Soundarya Rajinikanth is expecting her first child with industrialist husband As
- Arpita-Ayush honeymoon pics
- Who looks prettiest in Big Star Award
- Top 10 secrets of 'PK' movie revealed
- Stanford University students meets SRK
- Kate Upton named sexiest woman
- Meet four sexy Kingfisher Calender 2015 hot girls
- I won't be hosting Bigg Boss 8: Salman Khan
- Rajkumar Hirani is the best director: Karan Johar tweeted
Eight coffins from Qing Dynasty (1636-1912) imperial figures, including Emperor Qianlong
Homegrown handset maker Lava on Tuesday launched a new smartphone -- Iris Fuel 60 -- offer