- Mercedes launches 3 new modelsDhanush's movie reached Venice Film FestivalKareena, Arjun's most awaited film 'Ka and Ki' of year 2016India Couture Week opened by Sabyasachi, LouboutinYes, Mira Rajput will be on Jhalak Dikh Laaja ReloadedCaught: Why is Kapil Sharma lying about his health?Hot girls of Bhojpuri cinemaWet and wild cover girls'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' earns 461 croresFirst Look of Tamasha shows Deepika-Ranbir as a rocking couple
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal is confident of recovering from her shoulder pain and reg
Brilliant Raghunath single-handedly claims 3rd spot for UP Last Updated : 11 Feb 2013 11:12:03 AM IST File Photo
Captain V R Raghunath led from the front, scoring four goals including a hat-trick, to help Uttar Pradesh Wizards claim the third spot in the inaugural Hockey India League with a come-from-behind 4-3 win over Jaypee Punjab Warriors, on Sunday.
Raghunath single-handedly spoiled Punjab's party with sheer individual brilliance as he converted four penalty corners to ensure the win for the Wizards' after they were down 0-3 till the 39th minute.
The Warriors, however, were the better side on display, at least in the opening half, as they controlled the proceedings from the onset at the floodlit Astroturf Hockey Stadium.
Mark Knowles (4th minute), S V Sunil (8th) and Ranjit Singh (39th) scored for the Warriors to hand them a commanding lead in the game.
But riding on skipper Raghunath?s (42nd, 62nd, 64th, 85th) precise penalty corner conversions, the Wizards made a strong comeback in the second half to not only level the scoreline but finish on the podium.
However, it was the Warriors who dominated the early exchanges and broke the deadlock just four minutes into the game through Knowles.
The Warriors doubled their lead four minutes later through a diving Sunil who deflected in from a penalty corner. The UP team went for the referral but it went against them.
Ranjit then made the scoreline 3-0 in favour of the Warriors through a field effort.
Raghunath pulled one back for the Wizards in the 42nd minute from a penalty corner.
Trailing 1-3, the Wizards pressed hard for goals thereafter and it took two brilliant corner conversions from skipper Raghunath in a span of three minutes to draw parity and take match into extra time.
In the two extra time periods of seven-and-a-half minutes a piece both the teams did not give an inch to the other and failed to break the deadlock till the final minute.
The Wizards earned an important penalty corner in the final minute of additional time and an accurate Raghunath made no mistake to sign off a memorable day for him as well as his team.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Priyanka Chopra has expressed her displeasure over the Christmas clash between her
- Huma Qureshi in Gurinder Chadha's next film
- Madhuri's launches clothing brand
- Anushka not to endorse any fairness products
- 'Silsila' completes 34 years, Big B nostalgic
- Dhanush's movie reached Venice Film Festival
- Balki's Ka and Ki most awaited film of 2016
- Bieber announces new single
- Yes, Mira Rajput will be on Jhalak Dikh Laaja Reloaded
Two young children who were locked up in a kennel during the day by their grandfather with
If these images are to be believed, we would be seeing a couple of design innovations that