- \'Khoobsurat\' movie screeningSRK\'s daughter is a good footballerNeha\'s sexy avtaar in Ekkees Toppon Ki SalaamiSaif-Kareena's holiday destinationShweta Basu Prasad in Bigg Boss8?Why Hot Neha Dhupia says No to Julie 2Finally, Katrina admits her love for RanbirKaun Banega Crorepati saved Big BEnjoy Darjeeling toy train from Dec againBritish model Samira wishes to work with Amitabh Bachchan
The moment the Capital's football fraternity has been waiting for, will arrive soon with
Brilliant Raghunath single-handedly claims 3rd spot for UP Last Updated : 11 Feb 2013 11:12:03 AM IST File Photo
Captain V R Raghunath led from the front, scoring four goals including a hat-trick, to help Uttar Pradesh Wizards claim the third spot in the inaugural Hockey India League with a come-from-behind 4-3 win over Jaypee Punjab Warriors, on Sunday.
Raghunath single-handedly spoiled Punjab's party with sheer individual brilliance as he converted four penalty corners to ensure the win for the Wizards' after they were down 0-3 till the 39th minute.
The Warriors, however, were the better side on display, at least in the opening half, as they controlled the proceedings from the onset at the floodlit Astroturf Hockey Stadium.
Mark Knowles (4th minute), S V Sunil (8th) and Ranjit Singh (39th) scored for the Warriors to hand them a commanding lead in the game.
But riding on skipper Raghunath?s (42nd, 62nd, 64th, 85th) precise penalty corner conversions, the Wizards made a strong comeback in the second half to not only level the scoreline but finish on the podium.
However, it was the Warriors who dominated the early exchanges and broke the deadlock just four minutes into the game through Knowles.
The Warriors doubled their lead four minutes later through a diving Sunil who deflected in from a penalty corner. The UP team went for the referral but it went against them.
Ranjit then made the scoreline 3-0 in favour of the Warriors through a field effort.
Raghunath pulled one back for the Wizards in the 42nd minute from a penalty corner.
Trailing 1-3, the Wizards pressed hard for goals thereafter and it took two brilliant corner conversions from skipper Raghunath in a span of three minutes to draw parity and take match into extra time.
In the two extra time periods of seven-and-a-half minutes a piece both the teams did not give an inch to the other and failed to break the deadlock till the final minute.
The Wizards earned an important penalty corner in the final minute of additional time and an accurate Raghunath made no mistake to sign off a memorable day for him as well as his team.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Daniel Craig will return as the iconic British spy for his fourth outing as Bond.
- 'Khoobsurat' movie screening
- Cara Delevingne lands female lead role in 'Paper Towns'
- SRK's daughter is a good footballer
- Neha's sexy avtaar in Ekkees Toppon Ki Salaami
- Saif-Kareena's holiday destination
- SRK to endorse Hyundai Xcent
- I waited three years for Hrithik: Gowariker on 'Mohenjo Daro'
- Shweta Basu Prasad in Bigg Boss8?
Lord Hanuman has managed to get an Aadhaar card made, but there are no takers for it.
Apple had more than 4 million advance orders of its new iPhones in the first 24 hours.