- ICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for freeYami Gautam flaunts bridal avatar at ICW 2016Did Sunny Leone actually sing the National Anthem incorrectly?Anamika's collection impresses fashionistas at ICW 2016'Kabali' fails to live up to hype
Teenage Brazil striker Gabriel Barbosa is close to joining Juventus for 20 million euros.
'I plan to assassinate Roger Federer on October 6' Last Updated : 05 Oct 2012 03:25:20 PM IST File Photo
Shanghai Masters organisers have tightened security around Roger Federer after the top-ranked men's tennis player was targeted by an online death threat, a report said.
Extra precautions for Federer, who has arrived in Shanghai with his family, were taken after an unknown blogger said he planned to "assassinate" the player, in a bizarre posting on a popular Chinese website.
"On October 6, I plan to assassinate Federer for the purpose of tennis extermination," read the message, posted under the name 'Blue Cat Polytheistic Religion Founder 07' on baidu.com.
The user also posted a doctored image showing a decapitated Federer on his knees on a tennis court, with a masked executioner dressed in black and holding an axe posing next to him.
Police and other government agencies have been contacted to increase security around Federer, an official with the tournament's organising committee told the Shanghai Youth Daily.
"We hope that it was an oral threat only, and the fan won't take substantive action. However, we have to take it seriously," Yang Yibin was quoted as saying.
"We have contacted the local police and we will upgrade the level of security for Roger. Meanwhile, we will also protect other players' security."
Yang gave few details of the extra security, but he said Federer's arrival time was not disclosed to media and that he and his family were ushered through a VIP channel and driven straight to their hotel after flying in to Shanghai.
Attacks on tennis players are rare, but in 1993 Monica Seles was stabbed by a deranged fan during a match in Hamburg.
In the 2009 French Open final, a fan invaded the court and tried to put a beret on Federer, before being tackled by security officials.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Akshay Kumar, who will be seen in a cameo in Rohit Dhawan's forthcoming film "Di
- Nana ,Shyam Kaushal reminisce about their brotherly bond
- After director's exit, Sabash Naidu team reshuffled
- VIDEO: Ranveer-Ranbir bond like never before
- Rishi Kapoor respects Rajinikanth's humility
- Pakistan to ban Sunny Leone song?
- I don't copy anybody, says Varun
- Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman Khan
- SRK terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik
At 86, Dakshayani shows no signs of ageing and looks absolutely fit as she gets all set to
Domestic electronics company Micromax has announced a new laptop series Micromax Ignite an