- Salman takes inspiration from Indiana JonesRanbir Kapoor willing to play homosexual on screenCaptured: Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani on Secret HolidayTreat to work on dance numbers: JacquelineSohail Khan a damn cool director: NawazuddinPics: Ranbir-Aishwarya's hot chemistry irritated BachchansKareena send wishes for Shahid-Mira's daughter'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser to release today11-year-old attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga in 10 daysSindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu get Khel Ratnas
Olympic gold medallist Justin Rose will defend his UBS Hong Kong Open golf title, while Ma
Vivek, Ameesha performed at 34th National Games opening show Last Updated : 13 Feb 2011 12:43:14 PM IST Vivek Oberoi and Ameesha Patel
Bollywood actors Vivek Oberoi and Ameesha Patel added glamour to the inaugural ceremony of the 34th National Games which got off to a spectacular start at the Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium in Jharkhand's capital Ranchi on Saturday evening.
Vivek created a sensation by driving a bike in the stadium while Ameesha and actor Samera Reddy performed on songs, including "Chak De" and "Jai Ho" songs of Sukhvinder.
The opening ceremony began with the National Anthem. The teams participated in a march past, led by the Services contingent. The contingent of Manipur, the last games' champions, was the second in the march past.
A total of 28 states and five union territories took part in the march past.
The 25,000-strong spectators welcomed the home team's contingent with a thunderous roar.
After the march past "akhara puja" (ritual) was conducted. Freedom fighter Bhagwan Birsa Munda, who fought against British, was remembered through a short film.
Jharkhand also remembered its five great sportspersons in a laser show. The five players included Olympic hockey gold winning India team captain of 1920 Jaipal Singh Munda and Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Long before the start of the opening ceremony, spectators started queuing up at the gates of the stadium. More than 80 percent of the stadium was full by the time the ceremony began.
Governor M.O.H. Farook inaugurated the event. "It is a red letter day in history of Jharkhand," said Farook.
Earlier, the Jharkhand Armed Police band regaled the spectators. A plane hovered over the stadium and showered rose petals after the governor's arrival.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi, former chief minister Shibu Soren and Jharkhand Olympic Association president R.K. Anand were present on the occasion.
A total of 460 golds in 33 disciplines are at stake at the games.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
One side a Dehradun-based writer had lodged an FIR against Roshan Roshan for using some pa
- Salman takes inspiration from Indiana Jones
- Playing Sikh man in a serious film was tough for Vir Das
- Mehta reveals Rajkummar's look from 'Omerta' on his birthday
- Eijaz Khan roped in for 'Bahu Humari Rajni_kant'
- Big B to host 'Savdhaan India'
- Why did Kajol decide to marry Ajay Devgn?
- Chunky Pandey excited about his new project
- Akshay starts 'Jolly LLB 2' journey from Lucknow
Believe it or not, dogs have the ability to distinguish words and the intonation of human
Domestic smartphone-maker Intex technologies on Wednesday announced its partnership with R