- Aamir Khan\'s special for Sanjay DuttNathuram Godse should have killed Nehru, not GandhiThunderous response to Shah Rukh Khan\'s Happy New Year:Rs 44.97 crore on Day 1Amitabh\'s Jalsa turns star studded this DiwaliDeepika challenges Sunny Leone\'Diwali\' celebrations in picsSexy Mallika Sherawat celebrating birthdayRanveer hides his bald look under hat in partyTen reasons to watch \'Happy New Year\'Katie Holmes shares beauty tips
Ace India shuttler Saina Nehwal crashed out of the French Open Super Series after going
India missed glimpse of asteroid DA14 Last Updated : 16 Feb 2013 05:29:25 PM IST This image provided by NASA/JPL-Caltech shows a simulation of asteroid 2012 DA14 approaching from the south as it passes through the Earth-moon system on Friday, Feb. 15th, 2013. The 150-foot object will pass within 17,000 miles of the Earth. NASA sc
Cloudy sky prevented stargazers in Delhi and parts of northern and western India from catching a glimpse of an asteroid, about half the size of a football field, which passed at a close proximity to Earth last night.
The asteroid called "2012 DA14" passed by Earth at a distance of 27,700 km shortly after midnight, the closest approach by any asteroid in recorded history to buzz past our planet, Director of Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) C B Devgun said.
Light showers and clouds dampened expectations of stargazers who were not able to witness the 45-metre wide space rock.
Clouds play spoilsport in viewing closest-ever asteroid DA14:
While the presence of a crescent Moon had raised hopes of a great view of the celestial body for skygazers who had put their telescopes, the weather played a spoilsport, Devgun said.
The asteroid was discovered on February 23, 2012 in Spain.
The space rock passed within the Moon's distance from Earth and was closer than the orbits of some geosynchronous satellites, which provide weather data and telecommunications.
The next time it will have closest approach to Earth on February 15, 2019 when it be at 6,91,64,078 km. The last time it came close was on February 16, 2012 and was at 26,06,840 km.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor-director Randhir Kapoor says he will never remake RK Films' superhit movie 'Awara'
- Lindsay Lohan gets upset when asked about imprisonment
- Madonna's memorabilia collection to go on sale
- Aamir Khan's special for Sanjay Dutt
- Thunderous response to Shah Rukh Khan's Happy New Year:Rs 44.97 crore on Day 1
- Amitabh's Jalsa turns star studded this Diwali
- Deepika challenges Sunny Leone
- Major fire at Ekta Kapoor's Nixon studio
- Sexy Mallika Sherawat celebrating birthday
Country's first fish hospital to treat abnormalities and diseases in them is set to come u
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country