- Nil Battey Sannata Review: Swara Bhaskar's Mother-Daughter story encourages!Decor tips to get your house summer readyMeet sexy babe Vaani KapoorSee some popular selfie poses, choose the one you likeFantastic Box Office Collection: 'The Jungle Book' debuts with over $100 mnOMG! Pratyusha was pregnantLook who gate crashed Bipasha's bachelorette partyWhy is Kangna not recording her statement: Hrithik's lawyersScariest character I have ever played: Shahid on 'Udta Punjab'Jabong launches international fashion brand Mexx in India
Star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal defeated Nitchaon Jindapol of Thailand in straight games
Chopper scam: Finmeccanica promises help to CBI team Last Updated : 22 Feb 2013 10:54:20 AM IST File photo of Finmeccanica group.
During the meeting, CBI officials requested the Italian firm to handover the report of its internal probe to them so that it could be examined in India and a proper investigation could be conducted, official sources said.
The sources said the joint team of the CBI and Defence Ministry officials were assured of complete assistance and that the relevant papers would be handed over once the board of the company met.
The joint team, which is likely to return on Sunday after their week-long stay in Milan, had also met senior officials of the Italian judiciary including the judge in the case to request for assistance in probing the role of Indians in connection with alleged kickbacks in the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal.
This was not forthcoming as they were told that the probe in that country was in a preliminary stage and the arrest of Giuseppe Orsi, chairman of the firm, and Bruno Spagnolini, Chief Executive officer of AgustaWestland, was more of a preventive nature so that they did not tamper with evidence.
Two law firms-Chiomenti and Grippo-have been roped in to help in coordinating with the Italian authorities for getting documents and other relevant material pertaining to the AgustaWestland deal for supplying 12 helicopters to India.
It has been alleged that kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore were allegedly paid to swing the deal in favour of AgustaWestland.
Finmeccanica promises help to CBI team in chopper scam probe:
The joint team comprising a CBI DIG, a law officer of the agency, a Joint Secretary-level officer of the Ministry and an official of the External Affairs Ministry has been camping in Milan to gather as much inputs as possible.
The team is likely to meet some more officials in connection with the alleged kickbacks.
The two law firms have been appointed keeping in mind their work in international cases. Chiomenti law firm was established in 1948 and has 270 attorneys in six countries including in London. Grippo law firm with 360 attorneys has a presence in five countries including the UK.
The CBI's decision to send a team to Italy came after it virtually drew a blank from the Defence Ministry in getting information required for its probe.
The CBI was handed over a letter from the Defence Ministry seeking a probe by it in the case which has triggered a political storm in the country. Attached with the letter were some Indian and Italian press clippings, which, the CBI said, could not form the basis for registering a case.
This was followed by CBI seeking help of Interpol which also expressed inability to provide any help in the absence of any regular case not having been registered by the agency, they said.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Shah Rukh Khan says that girls often fall for his eyes.
- 'The Man Who Knew...' unravels the mystique of Ramanujan Rating: *****
- 'Mother's Day': A light-hearted celebration.
- Unfair to call me 'arrogant' for supporting Salman: Salim Khan
- 'Make In India' most important initiative by Modi: SRK
- Neetu Chandra writes open letter to Alia Bhatt, Chaubey
- Divyanka Tripathi bags maximum honours at Star Parivaar Awards 2016
- For outsiders, Bollywood is a huge gamble: Actor Swara Bhaskar
- Kamal Haasan to revive Balram Naidu character
Is it true that fashion affects the personality? but it has certain tendency to achieve so
Gone are the days when laptops were marketed as fastest, smartest, biggest or best on the