- Freida to promote women empowerment at CannesDaily yoga can help reduce multiple sclerosis symptomsRelease of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next yearWear sunglasses to avoid eye damageBig B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards functionWant my fan base to increase in South: HumaSee what Bips made Karan do post weddingAndamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!
A new round of tickets has been put on sale from Thursday for Olympic gymnastics, canoein
Afzal Guru buried in Tihar Jail Last Updated : 09 Feb 2013 12:00:07 PM IST Afzal Guru to be buried in Tihar Jail
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged on Saturday morning at Tihar Jail, was buried inside the prison complex soon after his execution as was done in the case of Kasab who was buried in Pune's Yerwada jail soon after his execution.
"He (Guru) was buried near jail number three," a top Tihar Jail official told Guru spent over 10 years years on death row in the
Tihar prison and was hanged at the jail at 8 AM in an operation shrouded in secrecy.
The mercy plea of 43-year-old Guru, who was sentenced to death in 2002 by a special court and later upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005, was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee a few days back, Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said.
The body of Guru was buried in Tihar Jail itself as it was done in the case of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab, who was buried in Pune's Yerwada jail soon after his execution. Union Home Secretary R K Singh said President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected the mercy petition of Afzal Guru on February 3.
On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
After 12 years of the Parliament attack, Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist Afzal Guru has been hanged at the Tihar Jail on Saturday after his mercy petition was rejected by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
Afzal belonged to the Sopore in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir and he was pursuing his MBBS and was preparing for IAS exams and was doing a commission agency business after,it was during this business venture that he came into contact with Tariq of Anantanag , who motivated him to join Jihad for liberation of Kashmir
Afzal was arrested for being providing logistic support to the 'fidayeens' in New Delhi for carrying out terror attacks on government symbols like Parliament and embassies. Afzal Guru had felicitated attacks on The Parliament – India’s pride and dignity.
Afzal Guru, a Kashmiri Muslim, had been on death row for nearly eight years. Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has repeatedly stressed that his execution could have serious repercussions in his state.
Afzal Guru was sentenced to death in 2004 by the Supreme Court for his role in the attack on Parliament in 2001. Five terrorists drove into the Parliament complex and opened fire. They were shot. Nine others people were killed, most of them security guards
President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected the mercy petition of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru on February 3, leading to his hanging today, Union Home Secretary R K Singh said today.
"The President rejected Afzal Guru's mercy petition on February 3 and after that we followed the jail manual and his
hanging took place today," he told reporters here.
Asked about Afzal's burial, the Home Secretary said "we will follow the jail manual and act according to the law".Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
US-based Indian actress Freida Pinto will reportedly attend the upcoming 69th Cannes Inter
- Randeep Hooda brilliant in 'Sarbjit': Johnny Lever
- SRK, AbRam practise dance moves for KKR match
- Release of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next year
- Justin Bieber being sued for $100,000
- Shekhar Suman again hits out at Kangana Ranaut
- National Awards: Big B 'touched' by president's speech
- Big B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards function
- Evans, Downey Jr helped Holland in justifying Spiderma
In a weird incident in Turkey, a 34-year man was beaten black and blue for doing a lewd ac
Sony India on Monday launched a new portable wireless speaker for music aficionados in Ind