- Décor hacks: How to make small living space look largerAppreciation for 'Thithi' nothing short of miracle: Raam ReddyHome for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi filmsIt was Love In Paris for Deepika-RanveerSunny Leone to romance Arbaaz Khan in 'Tera Intezaar'Shruti Haasan set for 'Sabaash Naidu' shootSeen great highs, lows and still soldiered onSachin launches clothing brand, Riteish walks the ramp for itGet picture-perfect smile with these simple tips!How can men get rid of pimples
Being excited for your favourite football team, rooting for them and suffering vicariously
Afzal Guru buried in Tihar Jail Last Updated : 09 Feb 2013 12:00:07 PM IST Afzal Guru to be buried in Tihar Jail
Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged on Saturday morning at Tihar Jail, was buried inside the prison complex soon after his execution as was done in the case of Kasab who was buried in Pune's Yerwada jail soon after his execution.
"He (Guru) was buried near jail number three," a top Tihar Jail official told Guru spent over 10 years years on death row in the
Tihar prison and was hanged at the jail at 8 AM in an operation shrouded in secrecy.
The mercy plea of 43-year-old Guru, who was sentenced to death in 2002 by a special court and later upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005, was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee a few days back, Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said.
The body of Guru was buried in Tihar Jail itself as it was done in the case of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab, who was buried in Pune's Yerwada jail soon after his execution. Union Home Secretary R K Singh said President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected the mercy petition of Afzal Guru on February 3.
On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
After 12 years of the Parliament attack, Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist Afzal Guru has been hanged at the Tihar Jail on Saturday after his mercy petition was rejected by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
Afzal belonged to the Sopore in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir and he was pursuing his MBBS and was preparing for IAS exams and was doing a commission agency business after,it was during this business venture that he came into contact with Tariq of Anantanag , who motivated him to join Jihad for liberation of Kashmir
Afzal was arrested for being providing logistic support to the 'fidayeens' in New Delhi for carrying out terror attacks on government symbols like Parliament and embassies. Afzal Guru had felicitated attacks on The Parliament – India’s pride and dignity.
Afzal Guru, a Kashmiri Muslim, had been on death row for nearly eight years. Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has repeatedly stressed that his execution could have serious repercussions in his state.
Afzal Guru was sentenced to death in 2004 by the Supreme Court for his role in the attack on Parliament in 2001. Five terrorists drove into the Parliament complex and opened fire. They were shot. Nine others people were killed, most of them security guards
President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected the mercy petition of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru on February 3, leading to his hanging today, Union Home Secretary R K Singh said today.
"The President rejected Afzal Guru's mercy petition on February 3 and after that we followed the jail manual and his
hanging took place today," he told reporters here.
Asked about Afzal's burial, the Home Secretary said "we will follow the jail manual and act according to the law".Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director Raam Reddy, whose Kannada film “Thithi” won the National Film Award, says tha
- Would love to work with Vidya, Aditya: Kunaal Roy Kapur
- Subhash Ghai lauds Kapil Sharma for not disrespecting icons
- Sonam shocked with 'overreaction' over Tanmay Bhat's controversial video
- Ray would have used computers differently for illustrations
- 'Animation not yet considered storytelling medium'
- Katy Perry's Twitter account hacked
- Home for 10 days, Priyanka Chopra to decide on next Hindi films
- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher mourn producer Vikas Mohan's death
We imagine the Sun as a giant burning furnace that brings sunlight to us but NASA's Solar
E-cigarette use in Britain almost doubled in two years
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Consumer electronics and home appliances major Videocon on Tuesday launched 4G-enabled Kry