- Pics: Akshay Kumar's sister Alka gets marriedTips for the perfect V-Day dateFirst Look of erotic sex thriller 'Single X'Tamannaah nervous to romance with PrabhuPropose Day Wallpapers and Facebook imagesAditya-Shraddha back togetherKatrina gets truck full of roses as giftAditya, Shradha coming back with 'Ok Janu'Katrina Kaif looks drop-dead gorgeous for Tarun TahilianiKatrina caught with Aditya at Janpath Market
Star player Joshna Chinappa clinched the gold in women's individual squash after beating M
Trains to get latest fire-fighting equipment Last Updated : 03 Feb 2013 09:58:44 AM IST File photo
In an effort to check the number of fire accidents on trains, Railways will soon equip pantry and power cars with latest fire suppression system including sprinklers.
"Even though Railways uses fire retardant materials for furnishings in coaches, fire accidents on trains continue to be reported. Therefore, we have decided to further upgrade our preparedness for fire prevention and suppression," a senior Railway Ministry official said.
As per the plan, the Rail Budget 2013-14 will have proposals for installing sprinklers in pantry and power cars in as many express and mail trains.
While initial trials for fire and smoke detection system on LHB AC coaches have been completed, Railways has planned to provide such system on more rakes for extended field trials.
"We are planning to provide latest technology fire suppression system on certain coaches including pantry cars and power cars which are more fire prone," said the official.
Expressing concern over frequent incidents of fire mishap on trains, the Standing Committee on Railways has asked the state-owned enterprise to find methods with the help of technology and experts to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
The parliamentary panel has also asked the national transporter to install automatic fire alarm system in all trains immediately.
A sleeper coach of Tamil Nadu Express had caught fire on July 30 last year claiming 32 lives. In October 2012, a woman and child were killed when a coach of Falaknama passenger train caught fire.
Recommending help of latest technology, the committee has asked the Railways to explore the possibility of adopting best practices in fire fighting exercise available in other countries.
"Fire retardant furnishing materials are being used in upholstery for seats and berths, AC coach curtains and floorings," the official said, adding "pantry cars are identified as fire prone coach due to presence of cooking arrangement and high power electrical equipment."
Accordingly, Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) has been advised to develop specification for suitable fire suppression system for these pantry cars.
Currently, pantry cars are provided with four fire extinguishers which may not be adequate in handling major fires.
Our efforts are to make fool-proof arrangement to prevent fire in trains and for that we will install latest fire fighting equipment in fire prone coaches, the official said.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Akshay Kumar's sister Alka got married to Surendra Hiranandani.
- First Look of erotic sex thriller 'Single X'
- Which 'Fitoor' is going in Katrina Kaif's mind?
- Tamannaah nervous to romance with Prabhu
- Aamir invited Sunny Leone to his hotel room!
- Salman Khan reportedly is upset with Huma Qureshi for ruining his brother Sohail Khan's married life!
- Deepika Padukone was in tears at the Filmfare Award show, what made her so emotional?
- Bhumi Pednekar of Dum Lagake Haisha sheds kilos, looks sexy
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam to star in 'Kaabil'
A woman gave birth to quadruplets at a private nursing home here today, doctors attending
Taiwanese manufacturer HTC on Friday launched a new 4G-enabled smartphone, called the Desi