- PICS:Have a look at Rihanna’s Met Gala outfitThats how Salman turned \'\'Being Human\'\'Not only Salman there are other Bollywood celebs also who messed with the lawSalman\'s sister Arpita thanks fans for support on \'big\' dayShah Rukh Khan visits Salman's Galaxy Apartments to meet himMumbai beat Delhi by 5 wkts to jump to 4th spotSalman Khan declared guilty in the Hit and Run caseSunny Leon's most desirable womanAditi Rao Hydari\'s sexy bikini avtaar on GQRanbir, Anushka jazz up 'Bombay Velvet' promotions
Yuki Bhambri on Monday in New Delhi broke back into the top-200 after 15 months, thanks to
Gujral cremated with full state honours Last Updated : 01 Dec 2012 07:08:33 PM IST The mortal remains of former Prime Minister Inder Kumar Gujral in New Delhi on Saturday for last respect.
Former Prime Minister I K Gujral was on Saturday cremated in New Delhi with full state honours in the presence of the country's top leadership, including President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Amid prayers and a 21-gun salute, his body was consigned to flames at Smriti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna where Vice President Hamid Ansari and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi were also present.
The last rites were performed by his two sons, including Akali Dal MP Naresh Gujral, and his grandson at Smriti Sthal, located between Jawaharlal Nehru's memorial 'Shanti Van' and Lal Bahadur Shastri's 'Vijay Ghat'.
Defence Minister A K Antony, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, Farooq Abdullah, Jaipal Reddy, BJP leaders L K Advani and Arun Jaitley, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala, LJP's Ramvilas Paswan, JD-S' Danish Ali, Amar Singh and some senior bureaucrats attended the cremation.
Diplomats from various countries were also present.
The president, Vice President, Prime Minister, Gandhi, Antony, Shinde, Badal, Advani, Jitendra Singh (Mos) and others laid wreaths on the body.
The body, draped in tricolour, was brought to Smriti Sthal from his 5-Janpath residence in a flower bedecked gun-carriage accompanied by military personnel and close family.
Officers from the three armed forces carried on their shoulders the mortal remains of Gujral to the cremation ground as he was accorded a state funeral.
'Son of India' Inder Kumar Gujral cremated with full state honours:
Gujral (92), who led a rickety coalition in late 1990s and was known for ' Gujral Doctrine' of five principles for maintaining good neighbourly relations, breathed his last at a private hospital in nearby Gurgaon yesterday afternoon.
He leaves behind two sons, one of whom Naresh Gujral is a Rajya Sabha MP and an Akali Dal leader, and brother Satish Gujral, who is a prominent painter and architect.
His wife Sheila, who died in 2011, was a poet.
Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister and a host of leaders visited Gujral's residence to pay homage to him.
In his message, Singh said, "In the sad demise of Gujral, our country has lost a freedom fighter, a great patriot and a great scholar statesman. I join the nation in expressing our grief and sorrow at the demise of great son of India."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
B-Town friendships are rare as actors often compete with each other in the rat race.
- Meatloaf makes husband fell in love with Scarlett
- Britney embarrassed after falling on stage
- Salman's dialogue proved almost prophetic in Hit-n-run case
- #SalmanVerdict trending on Twitter
- PICS:Have a look at Rihanna’s Met Gala outfit
- Thats how Salman turned ''Being Human''
- Salman Khan hit and run case: For victims, only compensation matters
- Bollywood sympathises with Salman after court's verdict
Just like humans, dolphins form highly complex and dynamic networks of friends, preferring
Finding itself on the wrong side of Net Neutrality debate, Facebook today made its Interne