- Vidya-Emraan fabulous in ‘Hamari Adhuri Kahani\'Filmfare Awards 2015:Kangana gets best actressMy feelings for Upen were realRekha,Katrina shoot for \'Fitoor\' in KashmirForget liplock, I won\'t marry Diandra ,says Gautam GulatiGautam Gulati wins \'Bigg Boss Halla Bol\'Chillai Kalan ends in KashmirAmrita Arora Style Diva of Dilli Ki SardiBollywood\'s dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next release
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Leander Paes on Sunday for winning Australian
PM's dinner fails to impress BJP over FDI Last Updated : 22 Nov 2012 11:18:47 PM IST Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addresses the media at Parliament House on the first day of its winter session in New Delhi on Thursday.
Manmohan Singh's dinner on Thursday for the BJP top brass failed to break the impasse over the FDI in retail issue with the opposition party insisting on a discussion in Parliament on it under provisions which entail voting.
The dinner was attended by BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Finance Minister P Chidambaram were also present.
Sources said the dinner failed to break the logjam with BJP remaining adamant on its stand. This is likely to lead to disruptions and adjournments in Parliament tomorrow as well.
The government maintains that since the decision to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail was taken through an executive order the issue can be discussed in Parliament but not put to vote.
But BJP and the Left parties, among others, are not convinced and are of the view that the government went back on its assurance given to both Houses of Parliament that a decision on FDI in retail would be taken only after talking to all stakeholders. They are insisting that the matter should be discussed and voted upon in Parliament.
FDI row: No breakthrough at PM's dinner for BJP leaders
The opposition senses an opportunity here to embarrass the government as UPA ally DMK as well as SP- which supports the dispensation from outside- have openly said that they are against FDI in retail.
SP and BSP, however, have adopted an ambivalent stand on whether the FDI debate should be put to vote.
The government will continue its efforts to end the deadlock next week through an all-party meeting scheduled for Monday to find a way out.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had convened a meeting yesterday to bring the opposition and the government on board for smooth functioning of the House but the two sides stuck to their positions.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Mahesh Bhatt, who has written 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani', the upcoming love story from his pro
- Filmfare Awards 2015:Kangana gets best actress
- My feelings for Upen were real
- Rekha,Katrina shoot for 'Fitoor' in Kashmir
- Forget liplock, I won't marry Diandra ,says Gautam Gulati
- Gautam Gulati wins 'Bigg Boss Halla Bol'
- Amrita Arora Style Diva of Dilli Ki Sardi
- Bollywood's dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39
- Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next release
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3