- Kiss Day Wallpapers and Facebook imagesAishwarya visits Golden Temple for 'Sarabjit' shootingRiteish, Nargis team up for Eros' nextSushant-Kriti starrer 'Raabta' goes on floor'Judwaa 2' is a big responsibility on me: Varun DhawanLava launches- Lava A88, A71, and X11Bollywood's most lovable dreaded villain- Pran!Mughal Gardens open for publicMovie Review Fitoor: A dampener all the wayRanveer, Deepika to spend Valentine's Day in Toronto
India produced a disappointing performance to lose to arch-rivals Pakistan 0-1 in a lacklu
PM's dinner fails to impress BJP over FDI Last Updated : 22 Nov 2012 11:18:47 PM IST Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addresses the media at Parliament House on the first day of its winter session in New Delhi on Thursday.
Manmohan Singh's dinner on Thursday for the BJP top brass failed to break the impasse over the FDI in retail issue with the opposition party insisting on a discussion in Parliament on it under provisions which entail voting.
The dinner was attended by BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Finance Minister P Chidambaram were also present.
Sources said the dinner failed to break the logjam with BJP remaining adamant on its stand. This is likely to lead to disruptions and adjournments in Parliament tomorrow as well.
The government maintains that since the decision to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail was taken through an executive order the issue can be discussed in Parliament but not put to vote.
But BJP and the Left parties, among others, are not convinced and are of the view that the government went back on its assurance given to both Houses of Parliament that a decision on FDI in retail would be taken only after talking to all stakeholders. They are insisting that the matter should be discussed and voted upon in Parliament.
FDI row: No breakthrough at PM's dinner for BJP leaders
The opposition senses an opportunity here to embarrass the government as UPA ally DMK as well as SP- which supports the dispensation from outside- have openly said that they are against FDI in retail.
SP and BSP, however, have adopted an ambivalent stand on whether the FDI debate should be put to vote.
The government will continue its efforts to end the deadlock next week through an all-party meeting scheduled for Monday to find a way out.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had convened a meeting yesterday to bring the opposition and the government on board for smooth functioning of the House but the two sides stuck to their positions.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, who stars in "Sarbjit", a biopic on Indian priso
- Bollywood goes gaga over 'Neerja'
- Riteish, Nargis team up for Eros' next
- Sushant-Kriti starrer 'Raabta' goes on floor
- 'Judwaa 2' is a big responsibility on me: Varun Dhawan
- Nargis Fakhri happy being Maharashtrian mulgi for Banjo
- Bollywood's most lovable dreaded villain- Pran!
- John shares new poster of 'Rocky Handsome'
- Movie Review Fitoor: A dampener all the way
Kristina Pimenova,a 10-year-old Russian girl, has sparked controversy by landing a top mo
Lava has expanded its 4G range with the addition of 3 new smartphones - A71, A88 and X11.