- Bollywood stars and their tattoosNimmi was afraid of kissing and intimate scenesBollywood celebrities' lunchboxForthcoming films of B\'Town divasIn Pics: Bollywood\'s top 10 boy toysMonkeys do mathsSecret marriages in BollywoodTiger Shroff and Kriti’s maiden lip-lock, view picsMeet hot IPL host Archana VijayaList of films based on Chetan Bhagat\'s books
With the World Cup just round the corner, Indian men's hockey team chief coach Terry Wals
PM's dinner fails to impress BJP over FDI Last Updated : 22 Nov 2012 11:18:47 PM IST Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addresses the media at Parliament House on the first day of its winter session in New Delhi on Thursday.
Manmohan Singh's dinner on Thursday for the BJP top brass failed to break the impasse over the FDI in retail issue with the opposition party insisting on a discussion in Parliament on it under provisions which entail voting.
The dinner was attended by BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Finance Minister P Chidambaram were also present.
Sources said the dinner failed to break the logjam with BJP remaining adamant on its stand. This is likely to lead to disruptions and adjournments in Parliament tomorrow as well.
The government maintains that since the decision to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail was taken through an executive order the issue can be discussed in Parliament but not put to vote.
But BJP and the Left parties, among others, are not convinced and are of the view that the government went back on its assurance given to both Houses of Parliament that a decision on FDI in retail would be taken only after talking to all stakeholders. They are insisting that the matter should be discussed and voted upon in Parliament.
FDI row: No breakthrough at PM's dinner for BJP leaders
The opposition senses an opportunity here to embarrass the government as UPA ally DMK as well as SP- which supports the dispensation from outside- have openly said that they are against FDI in retail.
SP and BSP, however, have adopted an ambivalent stand on whether the FDI debate should be put to vote.
The government will continue its efforts to end the deadlock next week through an all-party meeting scheduled for Monday to find a way out.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had convened a meeting yesterday to bring the opposition and the government on board for smooth functioning of the House but the two sides stuck to their positions.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
After actress Rani Mukerji made an official announcement of her and filmmaker Aditya Chopr
- Bollywood stars and their tattoos
- Nimmi was afraid of kissing and intimate scenes
- Bollywood celebrities' lunchbox
- Forthcoming films of B'Town divas
- In Pics: Bollywood's top 10 boy toys
- Secret marriages in Bollywood
- Tiger Shroff and Kriti’s maiden lip-lock, view pics
- List of films based on Chetan Bhagat's books
Monkeys doing simple mathematics, that's quite funny.
Homegrown handset maker Micromax on Tuesday launched its new six-inch phablet 'Canvas Dood