- \'Terminator\' star lands in IndiaImages: Katrina Kaif shoots for her upcoming spy movie PhantomOMG, Salman Khan to promote Happy New Year on Bigg BossUnseen pics of Navneet Kaur DhillonWho is perfect to play Yuvraj Singh?SRK-Deepika new hot onscreen couple, view picsDeepika\'s cleavage show becomes a national issue nowCeleb Kids from Broken FamiliesWeird dresses of Bollywood starsAvoid excess salt in children's food
Former France and Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka, who will be turning out for Mumbai City
Politicians pays tributes to Balasaheb Thackeray Last Updated : 17 Nov 2012 07:05:07 PM IST In this file photo Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray is sitting on a 75 kg silver throne presented to him at the party convention in Shirdi on April 10, 2002. Thackeray, 86, passed away on Saturday at Matoshree in Mumbai after prolonged illness.
Personalities across the political spectrum and social sphere on Saturday condoled the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
"Maharashtra has lost a veteran, experienced leader....He was a politician, cartoonist, editor, organiser as well as art-lover and orator," Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that Thackeray, as cartoonist, arrived on the scene like a storm after the collapse of communists in Mumbai, and took forward the legacy of his reformist father, 'Prabodhankar' Thackeray.
Shinde said he knew Thackeray for over four decades, and always felt he will survive the current bout of illness.
"He considered King Shivaji his idol. He worked for the people all his life. We took inspiration from him while governing in Maharashtra," said BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, who served as a PWD minister in the saffron alliance government in the state between 1995-1999.
State PWD Minister Chhangan Bhujbal, a former Sena leader who later switched loyalties to the Congress and then NCP, said Thackeray created history by founding Shiv Sena and taking it to great heights politically.
"He was fearless while speaking...word 'compromise' never existed in his dictionary," Bhujbal said.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar's daughter and MP Supriya Sule said the Pawar family had very close relations with the Thackerays, though in the political arena the two rivals never spared each other.
"There were political differences for sure. But Pawar and Thackeray were the best of friends in the personal sphere. Thackeray helped a lot ahead of my marriage," she reminisced.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said Thackeray was a strong patriot and a good cartoonist who carved an identity of his own in Maharashtra. "He had great affection towards me and was a guide for me," Modi said, offering his condolences.
Singer Asha Bhosale said she had lots of memories and it was a "sad day" for her. Lata Mangeshkar said Maharashtra has been "orphaned" today.
Tamil superstar Rajnikant described Thackeray as a great personality, and said he has lost a "father figure".
The 86-year-old cartoonist-turned-politician breathed his last at 3.30 PM today at his residence 'Matoshree' in suburban Bandra.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Here is the list of reactions of celebs on Deepika's cleavage controversy.
- Shraddha Kapoor marrying rumored boyfriend Aditya Roy Kapoor?
- 'Mission 10000KM' kicks off
- Story of Parineeti Chopra, Aditya Roy Kapoor movie Daawat-e-Ishq
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in India for I movie music launch; will meet Rajinikanth
- 'Terminator' star lands in India
- Images: Katrina Kaif shoots for her upcoming spy movie Phantom
- OMG, Salman Khan to promote Happy New Year on Bigg Boss
- Unseen pics of Navneet Kaur Dhillon
Lord Hanuman has managed to get an Aadhaar card made, but there are no takers for it.
Tech giant Google on Monday launched its much-awaited Android One smartphones, priced at R