- Treat to work on dance numbers: JacquelineSohail Khan a damn cool director: NawazuddinPics: Ranbir-Aishwarya's hot chemistry irritated BachchansKareena send wishes for Shahid-Mira's daughter'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser to release today11-year-old attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga in 10 daysSindhu, Sakshi, Dipa, Jitu get Khel RatnasRemembering 'King Of Pop' on his 58th B'dayKareena Kapoor Khan 'sexy' pregnancy photos'Rock On!!' clocks eight years, makers look forward to sequel
Montreal Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec has been chosen captain of the Czech Republic’
Politicians pays tributes to Balasaheb Thackeray Last Updated : 17 Nov 2012 07:05:07 PM IST In this file photo Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray is sitting on a 75 kg silver throne presented to him at the party convention in Shirdi on April 10, 2002. Thackeray, 86, passed away on Saturday at Matoshree in Mumbai after prolonged illness.
Personalities across the political spectrum and social sphere on Saturday condoled the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
"Maharashtra has lost a veteran, experienced leader....He was a politician, cartoonist, editor, organiser as well as art-lover and orator," Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that Thackeray, as cartoonist, arrived on the scene like a storm after the collapse of communists in Mumbai, and took forward the legacy of his reformist father, 'Prabodhankar' Thackeray.
Shinde said he knew Thackeray for over four decades, and always felt he will survive the current bout of illness.
"He considered King Shivaji his idol. He worked for the people all his life. We took inspiration from him while governing in Maharashtra," said BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, who served as a PWD minister in the saffron alliance government in the state between 1995-1999.
State PWD Minister Chhangan Bhujbal, a former Sena leader who later switched loyalties to the Congress and then NCP, said Thackeray created history by founding Shiv Sena and taking it to great heights politically.
"He was fearless while speaking...word 'compromise' never existed in his dictionary," Bhujbal said.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar's daughter and MP Supriya Sule said the Pawar family had very close relations with the Thackerays, though in the political arena the two rivals never spared each other.
"There were political differences for sure. But Pawar and Thackeray were the best of friends in the personal sphere. Thackeray helped a lot ahead of my marriage," she reminisced.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said Thackeray was a strong patriot and a good cartoonist who carved an identity of his own in Maharashtra. "He had great affection towards me and was a guide for me," Modi said, offering his condolences.
Singer Asha Bhosale said she had lots of memories and it was a "sad day" for her. Lata Mangeshkar said Maharashtra has been "orphaned" today.
Tamil superstar Rajnikant described Thackeray as a great personality, and said he has lost a "father figure".
The 86-year-old cartoonist-turned-politician breathed his last at 3.30 PM today at his residence 'Matoshree' in suburban Bandra.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Sumit Kaul will be adding a funny twist to "Bahu Humari Rajni_Kant" with his entry.
- Rumours are baseless: Bhansali's spokesperson on Deepika's remuneration
- Irrfan honoured with Entertainer of The Year award
- Won't return to direction until I introduce 10 directors: Sasikumar
- Treat to work on dance numbers: Jacqueline
- Pakistanis, Indians respect each other: Om Puri
- Was looking for substantial role after 'Commando': Pooja Chopra
- Sohail Khan a damn cool director: Nawazuddin
- Reality TV is a big platform: Prince Narula
Believe it or not, dogs have the ability to distinguish words and the intonation of human
Domestic mobile manufacturer Videocon smartphone on Tuesday announced its association with