- India celebrates Diwali with traditional fervourCamila Alves pressured husbandActress caught having sex in public placeRanveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti ChopraNissan rolls out premium EvaliaIndia\'s first seaplane serviceWhy did Kareena Kapoor refuse to work with Farhan Akhtar?Nayana arrested for blackmailing with sex tapeTop most Sexy South SirensIn pics: Upcoming movies of Bollywood superstar Salman Khan
Badminton world number one Lee Chong Wei recently failed a drug test, Malaysian media rep
Government attack CAG over 2G losses Last Updated : 15 Nov 2012 07:02:56 PM IST File photo of Information and Broadcasting minister Manish Tewari.
After the flop 2G spectrum auction that yielded only Rs.9,407 crore, Government and the Congress on Thursday questioned the Comptroller and Auditor General's estimated loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore in the spectrum allocation of 2001, drawing fire from the opposition.
"Mr CAG, where is the 1.76 lakh crore? I think it is time for some serious introspection. Its time the CAG introspects on his processes and it is high time that the BJP and some of the other opposition parties, which had made this their holy grail and swansong of politics over the last two years, should publicly apologise," Tewari said while speaking to reporters.
Congress leader Digvijay Singh also took a dig at the national auditor's estimate of loss in the 2G spectrum allocation in 2001.
"The CAG should reconsider how far its estimate was right with regard to the report, which it had earlier given and the losses that it had computed (in spectrum allocation two years ago)," Singh said.
BJP hit back at the government. "Government keeps looking for ways to attack constitutional institutions like the CAG which are acting in a fiar and independent manner," party vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
Singh sought to dismiss the suggestion that the auction yielding less revenue this time is a reflection of disenchantment of telecom companies with the government.
The government was targeting a minimum of Rs 28,000 crore from the sale of 2G spectrum in the GSM band and the tepid response may upset its efforts to meet the revised fiscal deficit target of 5.3 per cent of GDP.
Overall, the government had budget Rs 40,000 crore as revenue from spectrum sale this fiscal.
The CAG had in 2010 said the then Telecom Minister A Raja's decision to give away spectrum at rates fixed in 2001 had caused a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer.
CPI-M's Nilotpal Basu also lashed out at the government gunning for the CAG.
"If the government argues like that, it will only be the Devil's advocate. Because, you will always have to remind yourself of the fact that the then telecom minister A Raja gave out 122 licenses for Rs.9,200 crore.
"Thus, the 22 licenses which were out on auction this time have already fetched more than what they had got for all the 122 licenses then," he said.
Former CAG T N Chaturvedi came out in support of Rai. "He (Rai) examined the situation at that particular point of time. He is not a crystal gazer. He couldn't have anticipated, as some papers have said, that the banks are reluctant to give loans because the market has slowed down," he said.
"There are difficulties in the telecom sector. For that you can't hold the CAG responsible. There was such a rush then. Probably, things are stabilising. They (telecom operators) are getting much more realistic. So far as the CAG is concerned, at that point of time, he assessed the whole thing and can't take responsibility for it later on," he said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Singer Taylor Swift says provision of constant security is important to her because she ha
- Scarlett named most fascinating people
- Camila Alves pressured husband
- Actress caught having sex in public place
- Ranveer Singh sizzles with Parineeti Chopra
- Like Tagore's 'Ektuku Choya Lage': Anup Jalota! Listen song
- Lady Gaga's 8,000 pounds Manchester shopping spree
- Jennifer Lopez buys USD 22m house
- Best friends Salman Khan, Aamir Khan will be seen together once again
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country