- How to make your bedroom summer-friendlyShraddha ages in 'Haseena...'How to dress right for office in summerVIP voting in MCD polls amid EVM glitches'Half Girlfriend' to release across 1600 Indian screensPick banana, melon, cold milk to fight acidityPeople within showbiz don't judge women: Ruslaan Mumtaz'Noor': Says so much without seeming to say anythingReal reason why Abhi-Aish will not celebrate their anniversaryShah Rukh finds it tough to describe himself
Indian star Rohan Bopanna and his Uruguayan partner Pablo Cuevas defeated the Spanish team
UFO landed in Odisha weeks ahead of India's Independence? Last Updated : 11 Apr 2012 01:43:10 PM IST UFO landed in Odisha weeks ahead of India's Independence?
Just a couple of months ahead of India's Independence in 1947, an UFO (Unidentified Flying Object) was reported to have landed in Odisha's Nayagrah district.
Rejected as fanciful stories by many, traces of the incident buried under the pages of the country's tumultuous history during the period, have been preserved in the form of traditional palm-leaf engravings by a local artist.
Depicting the long-forgotten stories of 'yantra-purusha'(alien robot-like creatures), pieces of those rare engravings have now been published in 'The Obliterary Journal' (Blaft Publications) in between its collection of comics, street art and illustration.
Award-winning 'pattachitra' artist Pachanana Moharana,who runs a workshop in Puri, had made sketches of the alien visitors and their spacecraft which was claimed to have landed in a hilly area of Nayagarh on May, 31, 1947.
Interestingly, only a month later this incident, a mysterious crash was famously reported near Roswell, New Mexico. In the most well-publicised and most controversial of all "UFO sightings" anywhere in the world, the US Air Force had once claimed to have captured a flying saucer from the spot but contradicted it later on.
Moharana's art works are said to be based on the first-hand accounts of two young people who were invited into the spacecraft and given a sort of tour. If local tales are to be believed, the book says that after the return of the aliens and the spacecraft's departure,the youths sat with a well-known 'tala pattachitra' artist and gave careful descriptions of the beings they had met inside - a variety of rather anthropomorphic robots, or perhaps,creatures in metal suits.
These descriptions were subsequently passed down to the original artists students, and their students, for 60 years.One of the palm-leaf engravings shows the 'yantra- purusha' wearing spacesuit with pincer-like hands rising as if offering a blessing.
Hemispherical devices protruding from the head of the aliens are a recurring feature in many of the engravings. Some aliens appear to have ball-shaped hands while others are shown with five-fingered hands. Edited by Rakesh Khanna, the book rues that the Nayagarh incident remains barely studied or publicised, in India or anywhere else, even as the last few people who claimed to have been eyewitnesses die out.
"The ensuing violent and chaotic, migrations, the heady debate surrounding the future of the new independent nation,the possibility of Adivasi rebellion against the rajas, and the tumultuous years-long political process of integrating the feudary states into the state of Odisha combined to completely eclipse any press that the fantastical reports from the countryside might have otherwise generated," says the book.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor-filmmaker Farhan Akhtar and celebrity hairstylist Adhuna Bhabani, who were married f
- Shah Rukh Khan on way to Vancouver
- Stuntmen should get equal respect at award shows: Akshay Kumar
- Esha Deol expecting first child, Hema Malini overjoyed
- Aamir attends award function for Lata Mangeshkar
- 'Baahubali 2' will make filmmakers feel like serial directors: RGV
- Shraddha ages in 'Haseena...'
- Stars wish Varun Dhawan on birthday
- Google honours Kannada superstar Rajkumar with doodle
Indian Man Kaur, 101, won the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games here on Monday.
Owing to the complications in adding edge-to-edge screen for their new upgrades, Apple's i