- Pics: Salman Khan dances with ex girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister IsabelIndia-Japan relations enter new eraVideo: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot picsSuperstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethicsNude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leakedPICS: Oldest woman loves chocolates, sleeps for days!Priyanka Chopra can pack a punchMeet Bhandarkar’s Calendar Girl AkankshaAishwarya without makeup
Real Sociedad produced a stunning fightback from 2-0 down to beat European champions Real
Sensex surges to 6-week high on US Fed comments Last Updated : 11 Jul 2013 05:48:25 PM IST Sensex closes on a high (File Photo)
The key S&P BSE Sensex surged two per cent on Thursday.
Sensex closed at a six-week high of 19,676.06, tracking global stock markets that were boosted by US Federal Reserve Chief Ben Bernanke's comments on continuing monetary stimulus.
The 30-share gauge opened higher, following firm Asian cues, and rallied to 19,723.51. At the close, it added 381.94 points to 19,676.06, the highest level since 19,760.30 reached on May 31. It dropped 0.75 per cent on Wednesday, July 10.
Trading sentiment was bolstered after Bernanke last night signalled that the monetary stimulus would continue for some time, boosting the prospects of fund flows to the emerging markets, brokers said. The Fed's bond-buying programme, which has flooded global markets with liquidity, has helped support an array of assets, including equities.
Cautious investors picked fundamentally strong stocks ahead of the earnings season, starting tomorrow with first-quarter results from Infosys.
The broader Nifty index on the National Stock Exchange gained 118.40 points, or 2.04 per cent, to close at 5,935.10. The SX40 index of the MCX-SX closed 211.03 points, or 1.83 per
cent, higher at 11,744.81.
Investors were richer by nearly Rs 1 lakh crore as overall 1,358 stocks rose while 974 declined on the BSE platform.
"Indian markets rallied strongly, propelled by comments from Mr. Bernanke," said Sanjeev Zarbade, Vice President - Private Client Group Research, at Kotak Securities. "Going ahead, we have the Infosys numbers. While the recovery in markets is comforting, crude oil has again firmed up...We remain concerned on this front.?
The rupee, which rose to a one-month high in early trade, erased those gains to close marginally weaker at 59.67 against the dollar.
Overall, 12 of the 13 sectoral indices gained, adding between 0.55 per cent and 3 per cent, with metals, banking, realty, capital goods, refinery and PSU segments taking the lead.
The major Sensex gainers included HDFC Bank, ITC, HDFC, TCS, Reliance Industries, ICICI Bank, L&T, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, Infosys and SBI.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Salman Khan has gone out of his way to promote former girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister Isa
- Motion poster of Rajinikanth starrer Lingaa revealed
- Video: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014
- Amitabh Bachchan hits 10-million milestone on Twitter
- Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot pics
- Superstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethics
- Nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leaked
- Priyanka Chopra can pack a punch
- Meet Bhandarkar’s Calendar Girl Akanksha
Oldest human on earth, a Mexican woman, celebrated her 127th birthday on Sunday.
With rumors of an imminent launch early next month, let's show you how the iPhone 6 will l