- Nil Battey Sannata Review: Swara Bhaskar's Mother-Daughter story encourages!Decor tips to get your house summer readyMeet sexy babe Vaani KapoorSee some popular selfie poses, choose the one you likeFantastic Box Office Collection: 'The Jungle Book' debuts with over $100 mnOMG! Pratyusha was pregnantLook who gate crashed Bipasha's bachelorette partyWhy is Kangna not recording her statement: Hrithik's lawyersScariest character I have ever played: Shahid on 'Udta Punjab'Jabong launches international fashion brand Mexx in India
Portuguese doctor Nuno Campos, a former member of the medical team of his national footbal
Sensex surges to 6-week high on US Fed comments Last Updated : 11 Jul 2013 05:48:25 PM IST Sensex closes on a high (File Photo)
The key S&P BSE Sensex surged two per cent on Thursday.
Sensex closed at a six-week high of 19,676.06, tracking global stock markets that were boosted by US Federal Reserve Chief Ben Bernanke's comments on continuing monetary stimulus.
The 30-share gauge opened higher, following firm Asian cues, and rallied to 19,723.51. At the close, it added 381.94 points to 19,676.06, the highest level since 19,760.30 reached on May 31. It dropped 0.75 per cent on Wednesday, July 10.
Trading sentiment was bolstered after Bernanke last night signalled that the monetary stimulus would continue for some time, boosting the prospects of fund flows to the emerging markets, brokers said. The Fed's bond-buying programme, which has flooded global markets with liquidity, has helped support an array of assets, including equities.
Cautious investors picked fundamentally strong stocks ahead of the earnings season, starting tomorrow with first-quarter results from Infosys.
The broader Nifty index on the National Stock Exchange gained 118.40 points, or 2.04 per cent, to close at 5,935.10. The SX40 index of the MCX-SX closed 211.03 points, or 1.83 per
cent, higher at 11,744.81.
Investors were richer by nearly Rs 1 lakh crore as overall 1,358 stocks rose while 974 declined on the BSE platform.
"Indian markets rallied strongly, propelled by comments from Mr. Bernanke," said Sanjeev Zarbade, Vice President - Private Client Group Research, at Kotak Securities. "Going ahead, we have the Infosys numbers. While the recovery in markets is comforting, crude oil has again firmed up...We remain concerned on this front.?
The rupee, which rose to a one-month high in early trade, erased those gains to close marginally weaker at 59.67 against the dollar.
Overall, 12 of the 13 sectoral indices gained, adding between 0.55 per cent and 3 per cent, with metals, banking, realty, capital goods, refinery and PSU segments taking the lead.
The major Sensex gainers included HDFC Bank, ITC, HDFC, TCS, Reliance Industries, ICICI Bank, L&T, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, Infosys and SBI.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Akshay Kumar has apologised to the fan, who was punched by his bodyguard at an event
- 'Baaghi': Sincere but lacklustre
- See Mohit Raina's merciless avatar in 'Ashoka'
- Bipasha Basu to marry Karan today
- Green corridor initiative is need of the hour
- Roberts doesn't 'always' enjoy
- look of Anushka Sharma in Sultan is a kick-ass look
- Bipasha looked like a fairy in her Mehndi ceremony
- Daughters are our continuity: Big B
Is it true that fashion affects the personality? but it has certain tendency to achieve so
Remember Freedom 251 from ringing bells at just Rs 251 which soon became an smartphone of