- People stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, supportAkshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman KhanICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for free
Dope-tainted wrestler Narsingh Yadav's fate will be decided on Thursday as the National An
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood curvaceous beauty Huma Qureshi turned 30-year-old on 28 July, 2016. Here are som
- Sidharth, Katrina's 'Kala Chashma' a hit on YouTube
- Signed 'Hera Pheri' 3 last year, still clueless when it'll begin: Ankita Shorey
- Konkona released 'A Death In The Gunj' trailer
- Big B celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'
- Kriti, Sushant excited for last schedule of 'Raabta'
- Vidya Balan used to wear jhumkas worth Rs 5
- We have forgotten about humanity: Priyanka Chopra
- 'Force 2' a very action heavy film: Tahir Raj Bhasin
An international team of scientists has identified a rare new species of beaked whale that
Domestic electronics company Micromax has announced a new laptop series Micromax Ignite an