- Lisa Haydon suffering from dengueWhat next for Shweta Basu after caught in a sex racketReview in pics: Super NaniAamir Khan in Bigg Boss 8Shah Rukh\' Khan\'s fans beaten by police in KanpurHrithik Roshan avoids meeting SussanneSonakdhi Sinha and Arjun Kappor are in love!Aishwarya and Deepika pose for a selfieDeepika Padukone now all set to romance Salman KhanWhy Yo Yo Honey Singh will be out of action for two months
Roger Federer kept up his hopes of finishing the year as world number one when he downed
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
'The Shaukeens' leading lady Lisa Haydon is down with dengue and skipped the film's promot
- Paltrow praised estranged husband
- What next for Shweta Basu after caught in a sex racket
- When Deepika Padukone dated Upen Patel
- Rang Rasiya’ lauds freedom of expression: Mehta
- Akshay Kumar rocks in 'Ishq Kutta Hai'
- Dev Patel to star with Nicole Kidman in 'Lion'
- Shah Rukh Khan's Happy New Year surpasses 200 Crore Mark Worldwide
- Review in pics: Super Nani
It is always a subject of debate whether Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) does exist or n
Handset maker Lava Friday launched a new series of Iris smartphones under the 'Fuel' brand