- Meet most sexiest woman of 2015OMG! Shahid Kapoor's marriage not happening in DecemberFarmer Gajendra was master in tying turbansShakespeare inspired Bollywood in a big waySo finally Aishwarya\'s \'racist\' ad withdrawnThis was the biggest fear of Shoojit Sircar for \'Piku\'Why Jacqueline Fernandez will not perform at Hema Malini\'s showWhy Kangana Ranaut's parents were upset with her?Akshay's rugged look in 'Gabbar is Back'Smiley, Vineet eliminated from \'Nach Baliye 7\'
Playing her first match as world number one, India's Sania Mirza crashed out of the Porsch
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Superstar Akshay Kumar feels the recent suicide by farmer Gajendra Singh at an Aam Aadmi P
- See Bollywood sexy babes in nightwear
- Piku's new posture reveals father-daughter cute chemistry
- Lady Gaga to receive contemporary ‘Icon’ award
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover on a date!
- B-Town wishes Varun Dhawan on B'day
- Rare photos of B'day boy Varun Dhawan
- PICS:Kim Kardashian ready to be pregnant
- Here's why we call Tiger Shroff among best dancers of Bollywood
An Islamic college in Melbourne city has banned its girl students from participating in ru
Asus India launched the successor to their much-loved Zenfone range in the Asus Zenfone 2,