- Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next releaseJohnny Depp to wed fiancee AmberShruti Haasan\'s Latest Fashion Spread For FilmfareWho’s Trying to Sabotage Arjun Rampal’s RoyDiets of Bollywood starBebo, Saif enjoy with friends in GoaCollege girl challenges Honey SinghRihanna poses topless againShakira welcomes second babyI take tips from both my parents: Akshara
McLaren has unveiled new car, the MP4-30 to be driven by Alonso and Button this year.
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Powerhouse performer Vidya Balan who has always consistently managed to impress with her p
- PICS: Johnny Depp to wed fiancee in his private yacht
- China's first Tibetan language film released in Tibet
- Watch Video:Game of Thrones' season 5 official trailer out
- Aamir Khan's new look in 'Dangal'
- Shruti Haasan's Latest Fashion Spread For Filmfare
- Who’s Trying to Sabotage Arjun Rampal’s Roy
- Diets of Bollywood star
- Bebo, Saif enjoy with friends in Goa
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3