- 'Missile Man' laid to rest with emotional farewellMercedes launches 3 new modelsDhanush's movie reached Venice Film FestivalKareena, Arjun's most awaited film 'Ka and Ki' of year 2016India Couture Week opened by Sabyasachi, LouboutinYes, Mira Rajput will be on Jhalak Dikh Laaja ReloadedCaught: Why is Kapil Sharma lying about his health?Hot girls of Bhojpuri cinemaWet and wild cover girls'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' earns 461 crores
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal is confident of recovering from her shoulder pain and reg
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Priyanka Chopra has expressed her displeasure over the Christmas clash between her
- Huma Qureshi in Gurinder Chadha's next film
- Madhuri's launches clothing brand
- Anushka not to endorse any fairness products
- 'Silsila' completes 34 years, Big B nostalgic
- Dhanush's movie reached Venice Film Festival
- Balki's Ka and Ki most awaited film of 2016
- Bieber announces new single
- Yes, Mira Rajput will be on Jhalak Dikh Laaja Reloaded
A Hong Kong woman was sentenced to three-and-a-half months in jail on Thursday after a cou
If these images are to be believed, we would be seeing a couple of design innovations that