- OMG, Salman\'s ex flame turns a vampPics: Salman Khan dances with ex girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister IsabelIndia-Japan relations enter new eraVideo: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot picsSuperstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethicsNude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leakedPICS: Oldest woman loves chocolates, sleeps for days!Priyanka Chopra can pack a punchMeet Bhandarkar’s Calendar Girl Akanksha
The fastest man on earth, Usain Bolt, is all set to make his date with India by involvin
Govt for more steps to turnaround economy: FM Last Updated : 14 Dec 2012 01:55:38 PM IST Fresh steps to revive economy: FM
"I am confident that the steps we have taken, and some more steps that we will take in the next few weeks, will help turn the Indian economy around," he said addressing the 'Delhi Economics Conclave'.
In the recent past, government has taken a number of measures, including opening up of FDI in multi-brand retail and hiking foreign investment cap in the aviation sector, to boost economic growth and restore investor confidence.
Besides yesterday, the Union Cabinet cleared setting up of Cabinet Committee of Investment to fast-track large project entailing investment of over Rs 1,000 crore.
"It is too early to say whether the measures have begun to bear fruit, although it is our expectation that they will do so," Chidambaram said.
Concerned over sticky retail inflation, the Minister said: "There is no reason at all to become complacent".
While headline inflation has moderated to 7.45 per cent in October, the retail inflation remains high at 9.90 per cent.
The economic growth in the first half of the fiscal fell to 5.4 per cent, against 7.3 per cent in the corresponding period a year ago. The growth in 2011-12 fell to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent. In the current fiscal RBI expects it to be around 5.8 per cent.
Stressing that the present challenge is different from the one faced in 2008, Chidambaram said: "The present challenge calls for bold and innovative measures".
While in 2008-09 imports had reduced considerably due to fall in international crude oil prices, the situation at present is different as, while exports are declining, imports continue to remain high mainly on account of crude and gold.
He said with rapid globalisation of economy, external sector is becoming more vulnerable.
The Finance Minister also asked Asian G20 member nations and Russia to increase resource base of Asian Development Bank for development of the region.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Popular TV series 'Game of Thrones' has finally got the green light from the Croatian film
- OMG, Salman's ex flame turns a vamp
- Pics: Salman Khan dances with ex girlfriend Katrina Kaif's sister Isabel
- Motion poster of Rajinikanth starrer Lingaa revealed
- Video: Sonam Kapoor is scorching hot in Vogue September issue 2014
- Amitabh Bachchan hits 10-million milestone on Twitter
- Birthday girl Padma Lakshmi’s hot pics
- Superstars Akshay and Aamir have contrasting work ethics
- Nude pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kim K, Kelly Brook, Kate Upton leaked
Oldest human on earth, a Mexican woman, celebrated her 127th birthday on Sunday.
With rumors of an imminent launch early next month, let's show you how the iPhone 6 will l