- Review: Mechanic ResurrectionOMG!!! Ranbir is mocking katrina's text messages???While kissing in A Flying Jat,Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cutShahid-Meera to announce good news soon'A Flying Jatt' movie reviewShraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFWBhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her bookDeepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses nowSakshi Malik will be Beti Bachao Beti Padhao brand ambassador in HaryanaRustom Girl Ileana D'Cruz's monsoon skin ritual
With India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, managing to win only two medals in the j
Indian doctor appeals in Oz Last Updated : 15 Jul 2010 02:08:26 PM IST
Jayant Patel, an Indian origin doctor in Australia sentenced to 7 years in prison for manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm on patients appealed against his sentence and conviction.
Dubbed "Dr Death", Patel was sentenced on July 1 to seven years for each case of manslaughter and three years for grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served concurrently. His lawyers has lodged the papers in the Queensland Court of Appeal .The trial involved the evidence of 76 witnesses over 53 days.
The prosecution had alleged that Phillips, Kemps and Morris would not have died but for Patel's decision to operate.
The surgeries on them were all "dangerous, unnecessary and inappropriate", the court was told. The prosecution went on to state that the operations on the three men should not have been done at Bundaberg as the hospital did not have the resources to cope with such major surgeries.
Patel's barrister Michael Byrne told the jury that Patel had performed the operations the benefit of his patients. He said that each operation had been carried out with the patient's consent.
Patel was chief of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Indian-born and US-trained, Patel had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of James Phillips, 46, Gerry Kemps, 77, and Mervyn Morris, 75, who died following surgery performed by him.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
"Mechanic Resurrection" is a super-charged, stylishly packed action thriller that is mecha
- OMG!!! Ranbir is mocking katrina's text messages???
- Palak Muchhal in tears while recording song for 'Naamkarann' (TV Snippets)
- Would love to go out-of-the-box, says Abhay Deol
- While kissing in A Flying Jat,Jacqualine-Tiger refused to hear cut
- Jackie Chan is Renny Harlin's icon
- 'Freaky Ali' team to launch menswear label in Dubai
- Taapsee, Neeraj Pandey team up for 'Meera'
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
South Korean electronics conglomerate LG on Friday launched a new X Cam smartphone in Indi
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- Microsoft acquires Genee to accelerate intelligent experiences in Office 365
- Gionee launches selfie-focussed smartphone in India
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Huawei P9 with dual-lens camera launched in India at Rs 39,999