- India\'s first seaplane serviceWhy did Kareena Kapoor refuse to work with Farhan Akhtar?Nayana arrested for blackmailing with sex tapeTop most Sexy South SirensIn pics: Upcoming movies of Bollywood superstar Salman KhanOMG! Saif caught with pants down, view picsNew Alto K10 to launch next monthParties begin in Rajesh Khanna\'s AashirwaadEkta Kapoor's Box Cricket LeagueWatch Deepika Padukone promoting Happy New Year
South African prison officials say Oscar Pistorius spent his first night in a single cell
Indian doctor appeals in Oz Last Updated : 15 Jul 2010 02:08:26 PM IST
Jayant Patel, an Indian origin doctor in Australia sentenced to 7 years in prison for manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm on patients appealed against his sentence and conviction.
Dubbed "Dr Death", Patel was sentenced on July 1 to seven years for each case of manslaughter and three years for grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served concurrently. His lawyers has lodged the papers in the Queensland Court of Appeal .The trial involved the evidence of 76 witnesses over 53 days.
The prosecution had alleged that Phillips, Kemps and Morris would not have died but for Patel's decision to operate.
The surgeries on them were all "dangerous, unnecessary and inappropriate", the court was told. The prosecution went on to state that the operations on the three men should not have been done at Bundaberg as the hospital did not have the resources to cope with such major surgeries.
Patel's barrister Michael Byrne told the jury that Patel had performed the operations the benefit of his patients. He said that each operation had been carried out with the patient's consent.
Patel was chief of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Indian-born and US-trained, Patel had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of James Phillips, 46, Gerry Kemps, 77, and Mervyn Morris, 75, who died following surgery performed by him.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The best friends in Bollywood, superstars Salman Khan and Aamir Khan, will be seen togethe
- Why did Kareena Kapoor refuse to work with Farhan Akhtar?
- Nayana arrested for blackmailing with sex tape
- Top most Sexy South Sirens
- In pics: Upcoming movies of Bollywood superstar Salman Khan
- OMG! Saif caught with pants down, view pics
- Parties begin in Rajesh Khanna's Aashirwaad
- Ekta Kapoor's Box Cricket League
- Watch Deepika Padukone promoting Happy New Year
In a spooky mix-up, a woman in the UK was horrified at receiving text messages from her de
Korean handset maker Samsung on Tuesday launched its most expensive device in the country