- Why these B-Wood celebs did not attend Arpita Khan\'s receptionAamir and Deepika in Karan Johar film?SRK, Salman candid moments at Arpita's wedding receptionSRK dances on 'Chaiyya Chaiyya' with Salman at Arpita's receptionCondoms, pregnancy test kit, rifles found in Rampal's AashramPoonam Pandey to endorse breast creamAamir, SRK and Salman together at same stageReview in pics of \'Happy Ending\'What is Salman Khan doing at his sister\'s feet?Kim Kardashian wants daughter to pose nude
Fance's pole vault world record holder Renaud Lavillenie and New Zealand's unstoppable sh
Indian doctor appeals in Oz Last Updated : 15 Jul 2010 02:08:26 PM IST
Jayant Patel, an Indian origin doctor in Australia sentenced to 7 years in prison for manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm on patients appealed against his sentence and conviction.
Dubbed "Dr Death", Patel was sentenced on July 1 to seven years for each case of manslaughter and three years for grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served concurrently. His lawyers has lodged the papers in the Queensland Court of Appeal .The trial involved the evidence of 76 witnesses over 53 days.
The prosecution had alleged that Phillips, Kemps and Morris would not have died but for Patel's decision to operate.
The surgeries on them were all "dangerous, unnecessary and inappropriate", the court was told. The prosecution went on to state that the operations on the three men should not have been done at Bundaberg as the hospital did not have the resources to cope with such major surgeries.
Patel's barrister Michael Byrne told the jury that Patel had performed the operations the benefit of his patients. He said that each operation had been carried out with the patient's consent.
Patel was chief of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Indian-born and US-trained, Patel had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of James Phillips, 46, Gerry Kemps, 77, and Mervyn Morris, 75, who died following surgery performed by him.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
we tell you who were the Bollywood stars whose absence created speculations
- I love coming to India: Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Aamir and Deepika in Karan Johar film?
- SRK, Salman candid moments at Arpita's wedding reception
- Rajinikanth skips Kochadaiyaan's screening at IFFI
- Why Aamir Khan missed Arpita's wedding reception
- SRK dances on 'Chaiyya Chaiyya' with Salman at Arpita's reception
- Ranbir happy Salman called Katrina Mrs Kapoor
- Deepika named Katrin as talented star
A video of young elephant fighting with 14 lions has gone viral on You Tube.
Nokia is not going to give up easily as the company has now come up with a new tablet.