- India shines in colors of 'Beating Retreat'No entry for Ranbir to meet KatrinaSee how Shruti celebrates birthdayAkshara faces wardrobe malfunctionSapna says she is not porn actressSunny Leone at her steamiest best in 'XXX'Females perform naked YogaSecrets of Sunny Leone and other celebsKaran Johar makes acting debut in 'Bombay Velvet'Ranbir\'s Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain
Former Portugal and Real Madrid winger Luis Figo announced on Wednesday that he is to chal
Indian doctor appeals in Oz Last Updated : 15 Jul 2010 02:08:26 PM IST
Jayant Patel, an Indian origin doctor in Australia sentenced to 7 years in prison for manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm on patients appealed against his sentence and conviction.
Dubbed "Dr Death", Patel was sentenced on July 1 to seven years for each case of manslaughter and three years for grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served concurrently. His lawyers has lodged the papers in the Queensland Court of Appeal .The trial involved the evidence of 76 witnesses over 53 days.
The prosecution had alleged that Phillips, Kemps and Morris would not have died but for Patel's decision to operate.
The surgeries on them were all "dangerous, unnecessary and inappropriate", the court was told. The prosecution went on to state that the operations on the three men should not have been done at Bundaberg as the hospital did not have the resources to cope with such major surgeries.
Patel's barrister Michael Byrne told the jury that Patel had performed the operations the benefit of his patients. He said that each operation had been carried out with the patient's consent.
Patel was chief of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Indian-born and US-trained, Patel had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of James Phillips, 46, Gerry Kemps, 77, and Mervyn Morris, 75, who died following surgery performed by him.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
There is someone who is not letting Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif meet.
- See how Shruti celebrates birthday
- Akshara faces wardrobe malfunction
- Sapna says she is not porn actress
- Sunny Leone at her steamiest best in 'XXX'
- Secrets of Sunny Leone and other celebs
- Shahrukh first to use Twitter camera
- PICS: Karan Johar makes acting debut in 'Bombay Velvet'
- Ranbir's Roy Music a big hit on Social media with Sooraj Dooba Hain
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3