- Sonam Kapoor humbled to play 'Neerja Bhanot'Anushka taking career's biggest riskArjun Rampal growing beard for 'Daddy'Who is playing Aamir Khan's daughter in Dangal?PICS:Rahul blames Modi for snatching land from farmersWhy Sunny Leone is better than Sherlyn Chopra and Rakhi SawantNew 'Jurassic World' poster unveiledRussell powers KKR home by 4 wickets against KXIPMeet Poonam Dhillon's daughterMalaika's blouse gets unbuttoned
The Auditor-General of Pakistan is set to carry out an audit of the national hockey federa
Indian doctor appeals in Oz Last Updated : 15 Jul 2010 02:08:26 PM IST
Jayant Patel, an Indian origin doctor in Australia sentenced to 7 years in prison for manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm on patients appealed against his sentence and conviction.
Dubbed "Dr Death", Patel was sentenced on July 1 to seven years for each case of manslaughter and three years for grievous bodily harm. The sentences are to be served concurrently. His lawyers has lodged the papers in the Queensland Court of Appeal .The trial involved the evidence of 76 witnesses over 53 days.
The prosecution had alleged that Phillips, Kemps and Morris would not have died but for Patel's decision to operate.
The surgeries on them were all "dangerous, unnecessary and inappropriate", the court was told. The prosecution went on to state that the operations on the three men should not have been done at Bundaberg as the hospital did not have the resources to cope with such major surgeries.
Patel's barrister Michael Byrne told the jury that Patel had performed the operations the benefit of his patients. He said that each operation had been carried out with the patient's consent.
Patel was chief of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
Indian-born and US-trained, Patel had pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of James Phillips, 46, Gerry Kemps, 77, and Mervyn Morris, 75, who died following surgery performed by him.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor has begun shooting for the biopic of Indian flight attendan
- Anushka taking career's biggest risk
- Know the Truth behind Shahid's No to 'XXX'!
- Arjun Rampal growing beard for 'Daddy'
- Calvin Harris is allergic to Taylor Swift's cats
- Kylie Jenner doesn't want to be a model
- Kevin James uses a Segway to control his children.
- Who is playing Aamir Khan's daughter in Dangal?
- Why Sunny Leone is better than Sherlyn Chopra and Rakhi Sawant
The sight of driverless Delhi Metro trains whizzing past stations, crowded and deserted, i
Running out of battery? Yell at your phone to charge it!