- B-town couples grace Shahid's pre-birthday bashSay goodbye to cold with home remediesJoy to see Alia receive award from Sridevi, Mahesh BhattVIPs who got inked in third phase of UP electionsWhen Salman, Iulia, Katrina were caught under one roofJ&K awaits another spell of rain, snowfallWhen Kangana felt like slapping Sugandha MishraWhat are attractive lips?'The Ghazi Attack': Submerged in mediocrityNeil-Rukmini wedding reception was a starry affair
The fourth edition of the Tata Motors T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship will be held on M
Panama president apologises over 2006 drug tragedy Last Updated : 29 Nov 2013 09:45:23 AM IST Panama president apologises over 2006 drug tragedy
Panama's President Ricardo Martinelli apologised relatives and survivors of a 2006 mass-poisoning which claimed hundreds of lives.
At least 400 people were killed after Barcelona-based Rasfer imported 9,000 litres of glycerin from China, and then sent it on to Panama where it was used to make sugar-free syrup expectorant for hypertension and diabetes, widely distributed in the public health system.
The syrup was contaminated with diethylene glycol, an industrial product not designed for human consumption.
"I want to ask your forgiveness in the name of the Panamanian state," Martinelli said at a ceremony where he officially delivered life-long benefits to survivors.
Nothing that any of us can say could possibly make up for the loss of one human life," he stressed. "Let us hope that this kind if incident, and mass homicide, never happens again," Martinelli said.
A victims' spokesman, Gabriel Pascual, said families still were seeking justice. "We want justice in the legal system now," he said. "There are people who are still dying from this, and their future is not looking bright."
The conservative government estimate that about 400 have died so far and another 300 were poisoned. But Pascual said the number of dead has been estimated at as high as 10,000 since 240,000 bottles of the syrup were distributed between 2004-2008.
The massive dimensions of the scandal rocked this small nation of just 3.6 million people. Fourteen people were indicted for a trial in 2011, but then prosecutors decided the number of people responsible was far greater.loading...
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
"The Ghazi Attack", starring actor Rana Daggubati, minted Rs 15.75 crore across India duri
- Will Sara Ali Khan be as lucky as Alia Bhatt
- B-town couples grace Shahid's pre-birthday bash
- Video: Jhanvi grooves with boyfriend
- Pics:Joy to see Alia receive award from Sridevi, Mahesh Bhatt
- When Salman, Iulia, Katrina were caught under one roof
- When Kangana felt like slapping Sugandha Mishra
- 'The Ghazi Attack': Submerged in mediocrity
- Neil-Rukmini wedding reception was a starry affair
It is not the brain that determines whether a person is a lefty or a righty, but the spina
ZTE to launch, Gigabit, phone, at MWC 2017, Beijing, Chinese smartphone, ZTE is set to, la