- Shah Rukh promotes 'Happy New Year' in KanpurHrithik Roshan avoids meeting SussanneSonakdhi Sinha and Arjun Kappor are in love!Aishwarya and Deepika pose for a selfieDeepika Padukone now all set to romance Salman KhanWhy Yo Yo Honey Singh will be out of action for two monthsSRK ignored Salman\'s invitation to attend \'Bigg Boss 8\'See Aishwarya Rai\'s teenage picturesHrithik Roshan avoids meeting Suzanne Khan7 films releasing this week, which is your pick?
Roger Federer kept up his hopes of finishing the year as world number one when he downed
Hindu couples celebrate 'Karwa Chauth' in Pakistan Last Updated : 23 Oct 2013 10:19:06 AM IST Hindu couples celebrate 'Karwa Chauth' in Pakistan
Dozens of Hindus celebrated the Indian festival of Karwa Chauth in Pakistan's largest city Karachi with traditional fervour and gaiety.
Hindu couples gathered at the Laxmi Narayan Mandir near the Netty Jetty bridge yesterday night to celebrate the occasion.
On Karwa Chauth, Hindu women, especially in North India and Gujarat, traditionally observe day-long fast for longevity and well-being of their husbands. They break their fast after sighting the moon through a sieve.
Mehndi and heena are used for body arts by women during the festive season. Rani, who broke her fast on the footsteps of the mandir which overlooks the Netty Jetty waters said for her and many other Hindu married women the annual festival had become very important because of its religious significance.
"Given the sort of situation we are facing in Karachi these days basically everyday is Karwa Chauth for us women no matter which religion they belong too. Things are so uncertain we just keep on praying that our husbands return home safely after work," Rani said.
"We have Karwa Chauth and we fast because it means it will keep our husbands safe and protected throughout the year and
that is now very important in Karachi," she said.
The law and order in Karachi which is the country's financial hub has spiralled out of control in recent times with an increase in street crimes, muggings, target killings and kidnappings and gang wars.
The city has also been hit by sectarian violence. As per tradition, as soon as the moon peeks through the clouds, these women glance at it through a sieve and then look through it at their husbands.
The man will then offer his wife some water and something sweet to break the fast.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
The first look of Amitabh Bachchan in Soojit Sircar's film 'Piku' is out.
- Shraddha Kapoor graces Femina cover
- First Look: Prakash Jha’s Rajneeti2 out
- Shah Rukh promotes 'Happy New Year' in Kanpur
- Hrithik Roshan avoids meeting Sussanne
- Sonakdhi Sinha and Arjun Kappor are in love!
- Aishwarya and Deepika pose for a selfie
- Deepika Padukone now all set to romance Salman Khan
- Why Yo Yo Honey Singh will be out of action for two months
It is always a subject of debate whether Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) does exist or n
Microsoft Devices has launched entry level dual-sim mobile phone 'Nokia 130' in India.