- Urvashi did mistake againKatrina Kaif is under no pressureIs Puli a match to Bahubali?Ileana on small breakAlia's dad wants her to encash her popularityNimrat has special feeling for AkshayHas Aishwarya sidelined Irrfan Khan from Jazbaa promotions?Varun Dhawan and Natasha enjoy in MaldivesKnow what were Salman’s life changing tips for Athiya ShettyNeha Dhupia lesser known facts
Reigning world tennis champion Novak Djokovic became a new goodwill ambassador for the UN
Hindu couples celebrate 'Karwa Chauth' in Pakistan Last Updated : 23 Oct 2013 10:19:06 AM IST Hindu couples celebrate 'Karwa Chauth' in Pakistan
Dozens of Hindus celebrated the Indian festival of Karwa Chauth in Pakistan's largest city Karachi with traditional fervour and gaiety.
Hindu couples gathered at the Laxmi Narayan Mandir near the Netty Jetty bridge yesterday night to celebrate the occasion.
On Karwa Chauth, Hindu women, especially in North India and Gujarat, traditionally observe day-long fast for longevity and well-being of their husbands. They break their fast after sighting the moon through a sieve.
Mehndi and heena are used for body arts by women during the festive season. Rani, who broke her fast on the footsteps of the mandir which overlooks the Netty Jetty waters said for her and many other Hindu married women the annual festival had become very important because of its religious significance.
"Given the sort of situation we are facing in Karachi these days basically everyday is Karwa Chauth for us women no matter which religion they belong too. Things are so uncertain we just keep on praying that our husbands return home safely after work," Rani said.
"We have Karwa Chauth and we fast because it means it will keep our husbands safe and protected throughout the year and
that is now very important in Karachi," she said.
The law and order in Karachi which is the country's financial hub has spiralled out of control in recent times with an increase in street crimes, muggings, target killings and kidnappings and gang wars.
The city has also been hit by sectarian violence. As per tradition, as soon as the moon peeks through the clouds, these women glance at it through a sieve and then look through it at their husbands.
The man will then offer his wife some water and something sweet to break the fast.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Urshavi Rautela was "aggressive" with airport officers after being detained for not declar
- Katrina Kaif is under no pressure
- Is Puli a match to Bahubali?
- Ileana on small break
- Alia's dad wants her to encash her popularity
- Nimrat has special feeling for Akshay
- This is how Sanjay Dutt looks now
- Has Aishwarya sidelined Irrfan Khan from Jazbaa promotions?
- In all probability this is the reason of Sheena Bora’s death
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.