- People stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, supportAkshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman KhanICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for free
Hundreds of sportspersons have moved into the Olympic Village that seems to have left behi
North Korea parliament meets as tensions soar Last Updated : 01 Apr 2013 11:19:57 AM IST File Photo
North Korea's rubber-stamp parliament was set to meet on Monday at a time of soaring military tensions and a day after ruling party leaders vowed to enshrine Pyongyang's right to nuclear weapons in law.
The annual single-day session of the Supreme People's Assembly usually scores low on important policy announcements -- its role largely limited to unanimously pushing through pre-decided budgets and personnel changes.
But with North Korea having declared itself in a "state of war" with the South, today's session will be closely watched for any sign of the current crisis impacting on the fortunes of members of the ruling elite.
"The North has played most of its political cards, so I don't see any fresh, tangible threats to come out after the meeting," said Cho Han-Bum, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification.
"It will probably issue some kind of symbolic statement, like urging all North Koreans to stand ready for a possible war," Cho said.
The Korean peninsula has been caught in a cycle of escalating tensions since North Korea's long-range rocket launch in December which its critics condemned as a ballistic missile test.
United Nations sanctions were followed by a nuclear test in February, after which came more sanctions and then a stream of near-daily threats from Pyongyang as South Korea and the United States conducted joint military drills.
Those threats have run the gamut from limited artillery bombardments to pre-emptive nuclear strikes, and have been met with promises from Seoul and Washington to hit back at any provocation.
"I believe that we should make a strong retaliation as early as possible without any political consideration if any provocations are made," South Korean President Park Geun-Hye reiterated today in a meeting with security officials.
The US military today said it had deployed F-22 Raptor stealth fighters to South Korea as part of the ongoing "Foal Eagle" military exercise. The jets were reportedly flown out of the US air base in Okinawa, Japan.
Although it is not the first time F-22s have been used in the annual drill, their presence is sure to further infuriate Pyongyang.
North Korea has already threatened to strike the US mainland and US bases in the Pacific in response to the participation of nuclear-capable US B-52 and B-2 stealth bombers in this year's exercise.
The parliament session was preceded by a gathering yesterday of the central committee of the ruling Workers' Party, chaired by North Korea's young leader Kim Jong-Un.
According to the official Korean Central News Agency, the meeting decided that the North's possession of nuclear weapons "should be fixed by law", and that its nuclear arsenal should be beefed up "qualitatively and quantitatively".Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Academy Award-winning actress Meryl Streep is in talks to join Emily Blunt and Lin Manu
- Sanjay Dutt, Mahesh Manjrekar to again team up for 'De Dhakka' remake
- 'Jagga Jasoos' will work irrespective of delay if made well: Basu
- Don't want to be known as Dalit filmmaker: 'Kabali' director
- Sonakshi Sinha croons for 'Akira'
- Supriya has an edge over me as an actor: Sachin Pilgaonkar
- Tarun Arora plays the baddie in Chiranjeevi's 150th film
- Check Out 'Mohenjo Daro' new poster featuring Hrithik
- Harbhajan Singh blessed with baby girl
The lightning scar of Harry Potter is the most recognisable symbol of the character from t
Route Mobile Limited, a messaging and voice API company, on Thursday announced it has acqu