- Emile Hirsch Allegedly Assaults Female at SundancePICS:Hot Diaz poses with Benji post-weddingWinner of Bigg Boss Halla Bol is?Shruti Hassan hottest avatarsReal reason why Salman left 'Bigg Boss 8'Saif's son poses with step mom KareenaMiley Cyrus strips cloth in oceanSRK likely to feature in Bengal\'s new tourism campaignShah Rukh Khan invites Obama for Chaiyya Chaiyaa danceWatch Sambhavna Seth Hot Video
A fired-up Serena Williams shot down last year's finalist Dominika Cibulkova yesterday to
Former Hong Kong politician's wine collection goes for USD6.2 million Last Updated : 17 Mar 2013 03:59:27 PM IST
A former Hong Kong politician sold off part of his rare wine collection for over USD 6 million,auction house Christie's said on Sunday after a scandal over a wine cellar at his home was partly blamed for his loss in last year's leadership race.
The city's former number two Henry Tang was set to become the chief executive in 2012 until a series of gaffes and the discovery of an illegal basement containing the cellar at his luxury home made him deeply unpopular.
The two-day auction, which fetched USD 6.22 million,included a wide selection of Burgundys with vintages ranging from 1949 to 2010, Christie's said, and dozens of wine aficionados attended with others bidding online.
The highlights of the sale were six magnums of Roman Conti Vintage 1995 which sold for USD 156,695 and 12 bottles of Montrachet Vintage 1978 which sold for USD 109,687. Though there were thousands of bottles on offer, they represented just a small portion of Tang's collection, the auction house said.
"He's at a point where there's enough wine that he can share them with joy," Christie's head of wine in China, Simon Tam, told at the sale. In an interview with Tang last month, the Wall Street Journal reported that none of the bottles in the Christie's
sale were stored in the illegal cellar.
Tang is a well-known wine connoisseur who abolished duties on wine imports to Hong Kong in 2008, helping to turn the city into a regional wine centre. Chief secretary until September 2011, Tang was thought to be Beijing's choice for Hong Kong's top job in the run-up to the chief executive election in March last year.
But his campaign began with a public admission of marital infidelity and suffered another blow with the discovery of the unauthorised basement, which reportedly also included a Japanese-style bath and a workout room.
His main rival Leung Chun-ying was subsequently handpicked for the post by a 1,200-strong election committee dominated by
pro-Beijing elites, after China apparently switched sides.Since his election, Leung has also apologised for illegal structures built without planning permission at his own luxury Hong Kong home.
Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and authorities regularly prosecute residents for making illegal additions to their houses.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Meet hot girls Shruti and Akshara Hassan who are more of buddies than sisters.
- Angry Salman chases fans
- Meet Atul Kapoor the real 'Bigg Boss'
- Rahul Mahajan in live-in relationship with Aparna
- Jacqueline gifting exclusive autograph
- Hrithik dances to 'Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhaagi'
- Emile Hirsch Allegedly Assaults Female at Sundance
- Winner of Bigg Boss Halla Bol is?
- Shruti Hassan hottest avatars
As the Cricket World Cup is round the corner, a bat as tall as 10-storey building, unveile
test ad galery 3