- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
The All India Football Federation on Sunday announced the opening of online and outlet tic
CIA likely to target Syrian extremists with drones Last Updated : 16 Mar 2013 03:59:49 PM IST CIA likely to target Syrian extremists with drones
The US Central Intelligence Agency is collecting information on Islamic radicals in Syria for possible lethal drone strikes against them at a later stage.
Citing unnamed current and former US officials, The Los Angeles Times reported late yesterday that President Barack Obama had not authorised any drone missile strikes in Syria yet, and none were under consideration.
However CIA's Counterterrorism Center, which runs drone programmes targeting militants in Pakistan and Yemen, had recently shifted several targeting officers to improve intelligence gathering on militants in Syria.
The targeting officers have formed a unit with colleagues who were tracking Al-Qaeda operatives in Iraq. Veteran militants from Iraq are believed to have moved to Syria and joined anti-government Islamic militias there, the report said.
The targeting officers focusing on Syria are based at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, the paper said. But the agency is working closely with Saudi, Jordanian and other regional spy services active in Syria, according to media reports
The preparations come as radical Islamic fighters have won a growing share of rebel victories in Syria, the paper said. The State Department believes that one of the strongest Syrian opposition militias, Al Nusra Front, is a terrorist organisation that is indistinguishable from the group Al-Qaeda in Iraq, The Times noted.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actor Boman Irani is open to the idea of going to Hollywood to explore a “different worl
- I admire Shah Rukh as a worker: Alia Bhatt
- Salman Khan's 'Being Salman' game out
- I don't believe in relationship goals: Esha Gupta
- I still have more to achieve: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Dadlani says he quit AAP on his own, calls AAP family
- Amber Rose has no count of her sex partners
- Subha wants to do women-oriented project
- Koratala Siva, Mahesh Babu to team up next
A 53-year-old woman was killed while descending a 3,000-feet mountain after her husband u
US tech giant Apple is planning to remove the physical Touch ID button below the screen an