- Video+PICS: Aguilera mocked on Miley, Britney, ShakiraTanu Weds Manu Returns is a must watch, and we will tell you why?Was Aishwarya Rai uncomfortable in this gown at Cannes 2015?Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing lineVote for Aishwarya\'s best gown in cannes 2015Salman tweets Varun : Happy ShuddhiShah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support'Jazbaa' is not my come back film: AishwaryaWhy Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan are the leading Bollywood romantic pairFive reasons why Salman walked out of Karan Johar\'s Shuddhi
Star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal today regained the number one spot in the latest BWF wor
Use of drones is subject to international law: Ban Ki-Moon Last Updated : 16 Mar 2013 10:49:55 AM IST Use of drones is subject to international law: Ban Ki-Moon
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon believes that the use of armed drones needs to be subject to the long-standing rules of international law and feels there is need of greater confidence in the international community in this regard.
"He (Ban) says that like any other weapon, the use of armed UAVs (unarmed aerial vehicles) is subject to long-standing rules of international law, including international humanitarian law in situations of armed conflict,"Eduardo del Buey, the Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General said yesterday.
"He also believes that there is a need for greater confidence in the international community that the use of these weapons is within the bounds of international law," Buey told reporters while replying to a question that use of drones is in violation of sovereignty of Pakistan.
In a statement issued in Islamabad, following his three-day visit, Emmerson said that as a matter of international law the US drone campaign in Pakistan is being conducted without the consent of the elected representatives of the people, or the legitimate Government of the State.
"It involves the use of force on the territory of another State without its consent and is therefore a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty," he said."Pakistan has also been quite clear that it considers thedrone campaign to be counter-productive and to be radicalising a whole new generation, and thereby perpetuating the problem of terrorism in the region," he added.
The Obama Administration refused to comment on the "sovereignty" question, and said it is withholding its judgment on the UN report on drone attacks inside Pakistan."I can tell you that our administration is aware of the report" but "at this point, I don't have a comment on either intelligence operations or military operations," the White House Deputy Press Secretary, Josh Earnest told reporters when asked about the UN report and the comment made by its official in Islamabad earlier in the day.
"As you know, this administration is in regular and close contact with Pakistan. We have a solid working relationship with them on a range of issues including a close cooperative security relationship," he said.
"At this point, we're going to withhold judgment on the actual report...but we're in touch with Mr (Ben) Emerson (UN Special Rapporteur on Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights) and if there are requests of the administration for information,we will carefully consider those requests," Earnest said.
However, he refused to answer the sovereignty question, so did the State Department spokesperson at her daily news conference.
"We've seen his (Emerson) press release. I'm obviously not going to speak about classified information here. What I would say is that we have a strong ongoing counter-terrorism dialogue with Pakistan, and that will continue," the State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland told reporters.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Christina Aguilera has showed-off her mimic talent besides singing by impersonating fellow
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns is a must watch, and we will tell you why?
- OMG! Salman Khan's Dubsmash with Sonakshi is hilarious
- Was Aishwarya Rai uncomfortable in this gown at Cannes 2015?
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Vote for Aishwarya's best gown in cannes 2015
- Salman tweets Varun : Happy Shuddhi
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support
- 'Jazbaa' is not my come back film: Aishwarya
In an unprecedented move, a woman here has placed a matrimonial advertisement in a newspap
Indian conglomerate Essar Group today said it is no longer interested in buying Nokia's Ch