- Kate Upton won't go in for breast reductionWhat happened to the Aashiqui girl Anu Aggarwal?Virat\'s ways can make Anushka a jealous girlfriendVJ Rannvijay marries PriyankaSanju Baba caught off guard in leaked MMS clipAll set for fifth phase of pollsSee what Poonam Pandey lovesHrithik danced for 12-hours at strechPICS : Lara Dutta turns 36Xcent gets 450 bookings everyday
Iconic Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar after buying a ISL team is now set to own a tenn
Ami Bera's move to freeze lawmakers pay blocked Last Updated : 14 Feb 2013 01:25:24 PM IST Ami Bera's move to freeze lawmakers pay blocked
Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera's move to freeze salary of US lawmakers has been blocked by a Congressional committee.
"I'm disappointed that the House Rules Committee blocked my simple amendment, not even allowing it to come up for a vote," a disappointed Bera said after the House Rules Committee blocked his amendment which if passed would have freezed lawmakers pay through December 31, 2013.
"If Congress cannot put aside partisanship and act responsibly to find a way to achieve fiscal balance, then we should not receive a pay raise. We do need to reduce the deficit; however we must do it in a responsible way, not on the backs of public servants," Bera said.
Meanwhile, a bill was moved in the House Rules Committee to extend federal pay freeze throughout the year.The White House said though it opposed the bill, but would not veto it.
Increase in salary of the federal employees would help it attract best available talent. "This extension would mean that Federal civilian employees' across-the-board pay freeze would last for a third consecutive year," the Office of Management of Budget (OMB) said in a statement.
"In 2010, as one of several steps the Administration took to put the Nation on a sustainable fiscal path, the President proposed and the Congress enacted an unprecedented two-year freeze on across-the-board pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees," it said.
"This freeze already is expected to save more than USD 60 billion over 10 years. Federal civilian employees are central to the Federal Government's success in serving the American people. They assure the safety of this country?s food and airways, defend the homeland, provide health care to the Nation?s veterans, search for cures to devastating diseases,and provide vital support to our troops at home and abroad," the OMB said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood lovers Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, who recently spend a romantic holiday in
- Movies releasing in April 2014
- Miranda Kerr strips off for photo shoot
- No one wants to marry 'Revolver Rani'
- When gorgeous Sushmita Sen had some fun on Comedy Nights With Kapil
- Prem Chopra loves being a villian
- Nargis not ready to marry Uday Chopra
- Deepika in awe of Rajinikanth's passion for Cinema
- Alia's another selfie with Arjun Kapoor
Social media is about nurturing connections but lately it has enabled internet users to pu
Taiwanese technology firm Asus has launched dual SIM tablet Fonepad 7 in India.