- What made Mary Kom cryBollywood\'s top cop moviesParineeti,Aditya ring in early Diwali at Times SquareKareena celebrates birthday with Saif AliBigg Boss 8: Grand opening on SundayKangana walks the ramp for Karan JoharDisha Patani in Karan Johar's sex comedyTollywood superstar Jeet wishes to work with Big BAshish's journey on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 7'Inside PICS of 'Bigg Boss 8' house
Arsenal responded to midweek criticism with a 3-0 thrashing of Aston Villa in the Premier
Elizabeth II most powerful woman Last Updated : 12 Feb 2013 05:24:15 PM IST File photo of Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II has topped the list of UK's most powerful women but surprisingly the Royal family's newest member, the Duchess of Cambridge, features nowhere in the list.
Judges decided Kate was "influential" but not "powerful". Olympic heroine Jessica Ennis is perhaps another surprise omission.
The list of Britain's 100 most powerful women, was announced on Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme and the Queen is a safe choice as number one, as she has the power to refuse Royal Assent to laws, choose prime ministers and deny a government's request to dissolve Parliament, 'Daily Mail' reported.
However, some would argue that, in practice, the woman in second place? Home Secretary Theresa May? wields more executive power in her daily job than the monarch.
While many of the women on the list are household names, several near the top may be unknown to most despite their apparent power.
Ana Botin, who is ranked third on the list, is CEO of the UK's fifth biggest bank, Santander, the report said.
Queen Elizabeth II UK's most powerful woman:
While the surname of the woman in fifth place is famous, few will be familiar with Elisabeth Murdoch, chairman of the TV production company Shine.
Justine Roberts and Carrie Longton, co-founders of parenting website Mumsnet, are seventh on the list.
In 11th place is Frances O'Grady the first woman TUC general secretary. She is considered more powerful than Labour's deputy leader Harriet Harman, who is 14th - one place below famed author JK Rowling.
Only the top 20 entrants on the list were ranked in order. Outside that come Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Adele, named in the arts category alongside actress Joanna Lumley, Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy and comedienne Dawn French.
Victoria Beckham - who has forged a career as a designer since her Spice Girls days - joins Stella McCartney in the fashion list.
Explaining the decision to exclude the Duchess of Cambridge, the chairman of the judges, author Eve Pollard, said: "Inevitably, not everyone will agree with the 100 we have chosen. There are some omissions.
"For example, we had long debates about the Duchess of Cambridge. Is she influential? Hugely. Is she powerful? Not yet."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood Actress and superstar Priyanka Chopra has crossed the benchmark of seven millio
- What made Mary Kom cry
- Bollywood's top cop movies
- Parineeti,Aditya ring in early Diwali at Times Square
- Kareena celebrates birthday with Saif Ali
- Bigg Boss 8: Grand opening on Sunday
- Kangana walks the ramp for Karan Johar
- Disha Patani in Karan Johar's sex comedy
- Tollywood superstar Jeet wishes to work with Big B
Generally we see dogs as a cheerful and playful animal. However, they too can be pessimist
Feature phone maker Jivi has launched its first affordable smartphone. The handset is pr