- SRK ignored Salman\'s invitation to attend \'Bigg Boss 8\'See Aishwarya Rai\'s teenage picturesHrithik Roshan avoids meeting Suzanne Khan7 films releasing this week, which is your pick?PICS of Chhath festivalSee Big B with a broomMannara\'s hot lovemaking scenes in Zid, view picsActress Sana Khan arrestedHarman Baweja cheats on Bipasha Basu with a foreign modelSRK turns pink after kisses on both cheeks!
Roger Federer kept up his hopes of finishing the year as world number one when he downed
Elizabeth II most powerful woman Last Updated : 12 Feb 2013 05:24:15 PM IST File photo of Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II has topped the list of UK's most powerful women but surprisingly the Royal family's newest member, the Duchess of Cambridge, features nowhere in the list.
Judges decided Kate was "influential" but not "powerful". Olympic heroine Jessica Ennis is perhaps another surprise omission.
The list of Britain's 100 most powerful women, was announced on Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme and the Queen is a safe choice as number one, as she has the power to refuse Royal Assent to laws, choose prime ministers and deny a government's request to dissolve Parliament, 'Daily Mail' reported.
However, some would argue that, in practice, the woman in second place? Home Secretary Theresa May? wields more executive power in her daily job than the monarch.
While many of the women on the list are household names, several near the top may be unknown to most despite their apparent power.
Ana Botin, who is ranked third on the list, is CEO of the UK's fifth biggest bank, Santander, the report said.
Queen Elizabeth II UK's most powerful woman:
While the surname of the woman in fifth place is famous, few will be familiar with Elisabeth Murdoch, chairman of the TV production company Shine.
Justine Roberts and Carrie Longton, co-founders of parenting website Mumsnet, are seventh on the list.
In 11th place is Frances O'Grady the first woman TUC general secretary. She is considered more powerful than Labour's deputy leader Harriet Harman, who is 14th - one place below famed author JK Rowling.
Only the top 20 entrants on the list were ranked in order. Outside that come Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Adele, named in the arts category alongside actress Joanna Lumley, Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy and comedienne Dawn French.
Victoria Beckham - who has forged a career as a designer since her Spice Girls days - joins Stella McCartney in the fashion list.
Explaining the decision to exclude the Duchess of Cambridge, the chairman of the judges, author Eve Pollard, said: "Inevitably, not everyone will agree with the 100 we have chosen. There are some omissions.
"For example, we had long debates about the Duchess of Cambridge. Is she influential? Hugely. Is she powerful? Not yet."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Hrithik Roshan and Sussanne Khan are ready for divorce and are avoiding any confrontation.
- Sonakdhi Sinha and Arjun Kappor are in love!
- Aishwarya and Deepika pose for a selfie
- Deepika Padukone now all set to romance Salman Khan
- Why Yo Yo Honey Singh will be out of action for two months
- SRK ignored Salman's invitation to attend 'Bigg Boss 8'
- See Aishwarya Rai's teenage pictures
- Hrithik Roshan avoids meeting Suzanne Khan
- 7 films releasing this week, which is your pick?
It is always a subject of debate whether Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO) does exist or n
Microsoft Devices has launched entry level dual-sim mobile phone 'Nokia 130' in India.