- Poonam Pandey to endorse breast creamAamir, SRK and Salman together at same stageReview in pics of \'Happy Ending\'What is Salman Khan doing at his sister\'s feet?Kim Kardashian wants daughter to pose nudeMulayam to cut 75 feet cake on b'dayArpita Khan looks beautiful after marriage, see picsPoonam Jhawar tweets topless pics, view nowVirat-Anushka, Ranbir-Katrina-Aamir-Kiran party togetherLuxury lifestyle of Baba Rampal
Seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams feels that the success of Vijay Amritraj, Le
Elizabeth II most powerful woman Last Updated : 12 Feb 2013 05:24:15 PM IST File photo of Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II has topped the list of UK's most powerful women but surprisingly the Royal family's newest member, the Duchess of Cambridge, features nowhere in the list.
Judges decided Kate was "influential" but not "powerful". Olympic heroine Jessica Ennis is perhaps another surprise omission.
The list of Britain's 100 most powerful women, was announced on Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme and the Queen is a safe choice as number one, as she has the power to refuse Royal Assent to laws, choose prime ministers and deny a government's request to dissolve Parliament, 'Daily Mail' reported.
However, some would argue that, in practice, the woman in second place? Home Secretary Theresa May? wields more executive power in her daily job than the monarch.
While many of the women on the list are household names, several near the top may be unknown to most despite their apparent power.
Ana Botin, who is ranked third on the list, is CEO of the UK's fifth biggest bank, Santander, the report said.
Queen Elizabeth II UK's most powerful woman:
While the surname of the woman in fifth place is famous, few will be familiar with Elisabeth Murdoch, chairman of the TV production company Shine.
Justine Roberts and Carrie Longton, co-founders of parenting website Mumsnet, are seventh on the list.
In 11th place is Frances O'Grady the first woman TUC general secretary. She is considered more powerful than Labour's deputy leader Harriet Harman, who is 14th - one place below famed author JK Rowling.
Only the top 20 entrants on the list were ranked in order. Outside that come Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Adele, named in the arts category alongside actress Joanna Lumley, Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy and comedienne Dawn French.
Victoria Beckham - who has forged a career as a designer since her Spice Girls days - joins Stella McCartney in the fashion list.
Explaining the decision to exclude the Duchess of Cambridge, the chairman of the judges, author Eve Pollard, said: "Inevitably, not everyone will agree with the 100 we have chosen. There are some omissions.
"For example, we had long debates about the Duchess of Cambridge. Is she influential? Hugely. Is she powerful? Not yet."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Poonam Pandey first to endorse Breast Enhancement Brand cream.
- Aamir, SRK and Salman together at same stage
- Review in pics of 'Happy Ending'
- What is Salman Khan doing at his sister's feet?
- Kim Kardashian wants daughter to pose nude
- Who is Manasvi Mamgai ‘Gangster Baby’? Watch here
- 'Jurassic World' trailer next week
- Will support North if she wants to pose nude: Kim K
- Hrithik-Deepika too close for Ranveer's comfort?
A video of young elephant fighting with 14 lions has gone viral on You Tube.
Nokia is not going to give up easily as the company has now come up with a new tablet.