- Sunny adopts Zeenat’s look in LeelaAdnan Sami applies for Indian CitizenshipJacqueline Fernandez hits 1 million fans on InstagramCharacter is the new hero in Bollywood movies : Nawazuddin SiddiquiKangana to romance Saif in \'The Devotion of Suspect X\'OMG!Sonam Kapoor down with swine fluFire on \'ABCD 2\' setLeonard Nimoy, Spock on \'Star Trek,\' dead at 83Amitabh to promote road safetyWatch Shah Rukh Khan turning into teen
Mohun Bagan has taken the top spot in the I-League football standings.
Remove Covert operations tag from drones: US Senator Last Updated : 08 Feb 2013 10:29:33 AM IST Remove Covert operations tag from drones: US Senator
Arguing that unmanned armed aircraft are no longer a secret with the entire world knowing about them, a top US Senator heading a Congressional intelligence committee has called for the removal of covert operations tag from drones.
"At one point it (drone) was a limited covert programme;now everybody knows about it," Senator Diana Feinstein,Chairman of the powerful Senate Select Committee on Intelligence told reporters here yesterday.
Observing that the unmanned armed aircraft are now being built by other countries in the world, it is being sold and is even being used commercially inside the country for surveillance purposes, the top Senator argued that it is high time that a legal architecture is put in place.
"I think we need to see that this programme is really run according to the American Constitution and according to law.And so we've got to carefully look at that," she said.
The White House and US President Barack Obama himself made available to the Congress Office of Legal Counsel opinions, on
specifically Anwar al-Awlaki, she said.
"So we had an opportunity to look at that, plus the memorandum of notification on the covert activity and really look in depth at that one instance," she said. Feinstein said other Senators and Senate Committees are interested in establishing a procedure for use of drones and targeted killings.
"So I think there's going to be a new day of transparency," she said. Earlier chairing the confirmation hearing of John Brennan
as CIA Director, Feinstein said that the civilian casualties due to drone strikes is in single digits annually.
"I've.....been attempting to speak publicly about the very low number of civilian casualties that result from such strikes, (but) I've been limited in my ability to do so,"Feinstein said.
"But for the past several years, this committee has done significant oversight of the government's conduct of targeted strikes and the figures we have obtained from the executive branch, which we have done our utmost to verify, confirm that the number of civilian casualties that have resulted from such strikes has typically been in the single digits," she said.
"It's our belief, based on that, that the intelligence used is very careful and very good. It's also our belief that the collateral damage spelled out in the papers is wrong. But the only way to correct it is to say what we believe is correct, and we are told we cannot do that," Feinstein said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Sunny Leone is seen scorching the screen in the first look of Leela with her bold acts.
- Pics:Adnan Sami applies for Indian Citizenship
- Jacqueline Fernandez hits 1 million fans on Instagram
- Character is the new hero in Bollywood movies : Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Kangana to romance Saif in 'The Devotion of Suspect X'
- OMG!Sonam Kapoor down with swine flu
- Pakistan Loses Historic Taj Mahal Cinema
- Fire on 'ABCD 2' set
- Tax penalty on Actor Robert De Niro
The first 'selfie' taken in space by NASA astronaut Buzz Aldrin in 1966 has fetched almost
Google is releasing a set of tools designed for businesses and employees who want to get w