- Final list of \'Bigg Boss 8\'Kim Kardashian\'s nude photos leaked?Biggest Fights in Bigg BossMahira, Fawad Khan to be seen togetherWhat made Mary Kom cryBollywood\'s top cop moviesParineeti,Aditya ring in early Diwali at Times SquareKareena celebrates birthday with Saif AliBigg Boss 8: Grand opening on SundayKangana walks the ramp for Karan Johar
Barcelona overcame a missed penalty from Lionel Messi to return to the top of La Liga wi
No room for any delay in polls: Pakistan PM Last Updated : 07 Feb 2013 03:44:09 PM IST No room for any delay in polls: Pakistan PM
Amidst continuing speculation that elements backed by the security establishment are working to delay Pakistan's general election, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf on Thursday said there could be "no room for any delay" in holding the polls.
During a meeting held at the Prime Minister's House this morning, the premier directed Law Minister Farooq H Naek "to ensure that the Constitution and law are followed in letter and spirit in the run up to the next elections so that there is no room for any delay".
Naek is a key member of the government team that is holding consultations with allies of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party and opposition parties on installing a caretaker set-up to oversee the general election, expected to be held by mid-May.
The Law Minister briefed Ashraf about the role of the Election Commission and measures taken by the government to ensure free, fair and transparent elections, said a statement from the premier's office.
The two leaders discussed the "current situation in the backdrop of parleys with leaders of the PML-Q and reviewed the overall arrangements of the election process", the statement said.
Pakistan's political circles have been abuzz with speculation about the polls being delayed to prolong the term of a caretaker set-up for up to three years since cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri suddenly returned to Pakistan from Canada and led a massive protest against the government to push for electoral reforms.
Qadri today filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking the reconstitution of the Election Commission. PML-Q leader Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, a key ally of the PPP-led government, too has called for the reconstitution of the poll panel.
Top PPP leaders, including the premier, have been insisting that the polls will not be delayed. They have said that after the lower house of parliament completes its term in mid-March, polls will be held by May.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra, who is riding high after the success of her film 'Mary
- Exclusive: Askhay’s ‘The Shaukeens’ first look posters
- Why Katrina, Hrithik will not promote 'Bang Bang' on 'Bigg Boss'
- MJ duet with Mercury in Queen's new album
- Ashish Sharma to go on vacation with Archana
- Who is Alia Bhatt giving massage to?
- Ten films on cricket
- Kareena's childhood pics with Ranbir and Karishma
- Final list of 'Bigg Boss 8'
Generally we see dogs as a cheerful and playful animal. However, they too can be pessimist
Feature phone maker Jivi has launched its first affordable smartphone. The handset is pr