- Vidya-Emraan fabulous in ‘Hamari Adhuri Kahani\'Filmfare Awards 2015:Kangana gets best actressMy feelings for Upen were realRekha,Katrina shoot for \'Fitoor\' in KashmirForget liplock, I won\'t marry Diandra ,says Gautam GulatiGautam Gulati wins \'Bigg Boss Halla Bol\'Chillai Kalan ends in KashmirAmrita Arora Style Diva of Dilli Ki SardiBollywood\'s dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next release
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Leander Paes on Sunday for winning Australian
Barack Obama named Time Person of the Year Last Updated : 19 Dec 2012 09:04:31 PM IST File photo of United States (US) President Barack Obama.
United States (US) President Barack Obama has been named the '2012 Person of the Year' by Time magazine, which said the re-elected commander-in-chief is the "symbol" and "architect" of a culturally and demographically changing America.
The magazine also shortlisted Pakistani girls' education rights activist Malala Yousafzai, 15, for the title.
"For finding and forging a new majority, for turning weakness into opportunity and for seeking, amid great adversity, to create a more perfect union, Barack Obama is TIME's 2012 Person of the Year," the publication's editors said in explaining their choice for the annual honour.
This is the second time that Obama will feature on Time's cover as Person of the Year.
He was given the title in 2008 and becomes only the 13th person in the publication's 85-year old history of naming 'person of the year' to be chosen more than once as the year's most influential newsmaker.
Among others shortlisted was Malala, Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi and Apple CEO Tim Cook.
Yousafzai, recuperating in Britain after being shot in the head by Taliban militants who opposed her fearless efforts to fight for the education rights of Pakistani girls, has "become perhaps the world's most admired children's-rights advocate".
For a second time, Barack Obama named Time Person of the Year:
"In trying, and failing, to kill Malala, the Taliban appear to have made a crucial mistake. They wanted to silence her. Instead, they amplified her voice. Since October her message has been heard around the world, from cramped classrooms where girls scratch out lessons in the dirt to the halls of the UN and national governments and NGOs, where legions of activists argue ever more vehemently that the key to raising living standards throughout the developing world is
the empowerment of women and girls," Time said.
Fabiola Gianotti, a head scientist at CERN was also shortlisted for the annual recognition by Time that called the Higgs Boson experiment as one of "science's greatest achievements".
Time said Obama has a slew of "overwhelming challenges" waiting for him as he enters his second term at the White House.
Deadlocked fiscal-cliff talks, years of high unemployment and political and economic unrest in places Syria, Egypt and Europe will test Obama's second-term presidency.
However, as America undergoes significant cultural and demographic changes, as was evident by the voting turnout in the November Presidential elections, Time said "Obama is the 21st century version of this new American".
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Mahesh Bhatt, who has written 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani', the upcoming love story from his pro
- Filmfare Awards 2015:Kangana gets best actress
- My feelings for Upen were real
- Rekha,Katrina shoot for 'Fitoor' in Kashmir
- Forget liplock, I won't marry Diandra ,says Gautam Gulati
- Gautam Gulati wins 'Bigg Boss Halla Bol'
- Amrita Arora Style Diva of Dilli Ki Sardi
- Bollywood's dimpled beauty Preity Zinta turns 39
- Vidya Balan as Benazir Bhutto in her next release
Thousands of live cats destined "for consumption" have been seized in Hanoi.
test ad galery 3