- \'Terminator\' star lands in IndiaImages: Katrina Kaif shoots for her upcoming spy movie PhantomOMG, Salman Khan to promote Happy New Year on Bigg BossUnseen pics of Navneet Kaur DhillonWho is perfect to play Yuvraj Singh?SRK-Deepika new hot onscreen couple, view picsDeepika\'s cleavage show becomes a national issue nowCeleb Kids from Broken FamiliesWeird dresses of Bollywood starsAvoid excess salt in children's food
Former France and Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka, who will be turning out for Mumbai City
Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws Last Updated : 16 Dec 2012 01:19:40 PM IST Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws
President Barack Obama arrives in Connecticut on Sunday to join in the mourning for 20 children, who were slaughtered by a gunman who forced his way into their school and shot them with a rifle at close range.
Connecticut shooting is the latest massacre after the similar massacre in Colorado theatre and Wisconsin gurdwara,putting pressure on the Obama administration to take action on the country's gun laws.
Obama's appearence is very significant as people are loking for meaningful action to prevent such tragedies in the wake of massacre .
Meanwhile, an online petition addressed to the White House, which calls for addressing the issue of gun control immediately through legislation in US Congress, secured over43,000 signatures in the aftermath of the tragic shooting at the elementary school.
The President will visit Newtown to "meet with the families of those who were lost" and thank first responders,White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said.
20-year-old Adam Lanza has been identified as the lone gunman who, after killing his mother at home, opened indiscriminate fire in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown and gunned down 20 children aged between 5 and 10 as well as six adults.
Lanza, wearing black combat gear and armed with semi-automatic pistol and a semi-automatic rifle, isunderstood to have then turned the weapon on himself and was found dead inside the school building.
The incident sent shockwaves across America and an emotional President Barack Obama called for "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies" as he fought back tears in a televised press conference and said the "beautiful little kids" who were killed "had their entire lives ahead of them --birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own."
He said America has gone through such "tragedies" too many times and the nation has to come together and take "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this,regardless of the politics."
"Whether it's an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a (Sikh) temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theatre in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago --these neighbourhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," he said wiping away tears and pausing forseveral seconds as he tried to regain his composure.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Bollywood actor Aditya Roy Kapur was the cynosure of all eyes when he visited a Delhi Univ
- Reason why SRK got 8-pack abs
- Celebs share their favorite food prepared by moms
- Support for Deepika over cleavage controversy
- Shraddha Kapoor marrying rumored boyfriend Aditya Roy Kapoor?
- 'Mission 10000KM' kicks off
- Story of Parineeti Chopra, Aditya Roy Kapoor movie Daawat-e-Ishq
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in India for I movie music launch; will meet Rajinikanth
- 'Terminator' star lands in India
Lord Hanuman has managed to get an Aadhaar card made, but there are no takers for it.
Tech giant Google on Monday launched its much-awaited Android One smartphones, priced at R