- Sridevi's daughter Khushi kisses Jack GilinskyJab Kareena met Mira and Shahid met SaifParineeti gets in a new skinWhy was Kareena-Arjun intimate scenes deleted?Who will win 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded'?Katrina-Arjun\'s \'Fitoor\' wraps shootingWhen Kapil was pushed out of Aishwarya\'s vanity vanPriyanka to return to India for \'Bajirao\' shoot next weekShraddha Kapoor wraps \'Baaghi\' shootMovie review 'Singh is Bliing'
Riding on forward SK Uthappa's twin strike, the Indian men's hockey team posted yet anothe
Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws Last Updated : 16 Dec 2012 01:19:40 PM IST Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws
President Barack Obama arrives in Connecticut on Sunday to join in the mourning for 20 children, who were slaughtered by a gunman who forced his way into their school and shot them with a rifle at close range.
Connecticut shooting is the latest massacre after the similar massacre in Colorado theatre and Wisconsin gurdwara,putting pressure on the Obama administration to take action on the country's gun laws.
Obama's appearence is very significant as people are loking for meaningful action to prevent such tragedies in the wake of massacre .
Meanwhile, an online petition addressed to the White House, which calls for addressing the issue of gun control immediately through legislation in US Congress, secured over43,000 signatures in the aftermath of the tragic shooting at the elementary school.
The President will visit Newtown to "meet with the families of those who were lost" and thank first responders,White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said.
20-year-old Adam Lanza has been identified as the lone gunman who, after killing his mother at home, opened indiscriminate fire in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown and gunned down 20 children aged between 5 and 10 as well as six adults.
Lanza, wearing black combat gear and armed with semi-automatic pistol and a semi-automatic rifle, isunderstood to have then turned the weapon on himself and was found dead inside the school building.
The incident sent shockwaves across America and an emotional President Barack Obama called for "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies" as he fought back tears in a televised press conference and said the "beautiful little kids" who were killed "had their entire lives ahead of them --birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own."
He said America has gone through such "tragedies" too many times and the nation has to come together and take "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this,regardless of the politics."
"Whether it's an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a (Sikh) temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theatre in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago --these neighbourhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," he said wiping away tears and pausing forseveral seconds as he tried to regain his composure.
Source:PTI, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
"Hate Story 2" actress Surveen Chawla has quashed rumours that she is participating on the
- Sridevi's daughter Khushi kisses Jack Gilinsky
- Jab Kareena met Mira and Shahid met Saif
- 'Guddi Ki Gun' trailer released: Watch now
- BO clash of "Dilwale", "Bajirao Mastani" unfortunate: Priyanka
- Aishwarya doesn't like to be tagged as glamorous
- When Deepika and Ranveer shared a cute kiss
- Parineeti gets in a new skin
- Is Sooraj Pancholi dating Elli Avram?
A dog in the US had to be rescued after it accidentally knocked its owner's idling truck i
Google fired back at Apple with a pair of new smartphones, a "convertible" tablet and othe