- People stop taking calls if you deliver a flop: Abhishek BachchanChinkara poaching case: Salman thanks fans for prayers, supportAkshay had a ball shooting cameo for 'Dishoom'Iulia Vantur celebrated birthday with Salman KhanICW 2016: Rohit Bal adds Russian touch to India fashionB-Town hails Salman's acquittal in poaching casesKangana turns Mughal empress for at the FDCI India Couture Week 2016Why not: Kangana on getting married more than once'Madaari': A heartbreaking wake-up callVijay Raaz did 'Mission Tiger' for free
Brett Lee Indian fans were in for a treat when the former Australian fast bowler, who is i
Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws Last Updated : 16 Dec 2012 01:19:40 PM IST Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws
President Barack Obama arrives in Connecticut on Sunday to join in the mourning for 20 children, who were slaughtered by a gunman who forced his way into their school and shot them with a rifle at close range.
Connecticut shooting is the latest massacre after the similar massacre in Colorado theatre and Wisconsin gurdwara,putting pressure on the Obama administration to take action on the country's gun laws.
Obama's appearence is very significant as people are loking for meaningful action to prevent such tragedies in the wake of massacre .
Meanwhile, an online petition addressed to the White House, which calls for addressing the issue of gun control immediately through legislation in US Congress, secured over43,000 signatures in the aftermath of the tragic shooting at the elementary school.
The President will visit Newtown to "meet with the families of those who were lost" and thank first responders,White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said.
20-year-old Adam Lanza has been identified as the lone gunman who, after killing his mother at home, opened indiscriminate fire in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown and gunned down 20 children aged between 5 and 10 as well as six adults.
Lanza, wearing black combat gear and armed with semi-automatic pistol and a semi-automatic rifle, isunderstood to have then turned the weapon on himself and was found dead inside the school building.
The incident sent shockwaves across America and an emotional President Barack Obama called for "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies" as he fought back tears in a televised press conference and said the "beautiful little kids" who were killed "had their entire lives ahead of them --birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own."
He said America has gone through such "tragedies" too many times and the nation has to come together and take "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this,regardless of the politics."
"Whether it's an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a (Sikh) temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theatre in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago --these neighbourhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," he said wiping away tears and pausing forseveral seconds as he tried to regain his composure.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Rohit Khandelwal, the first Indian to win the coveted title of Mr. World, says he wants to
- Mahesh Babu's next starts rolling
- Streep in talks for 'Mary Poppins' sequel
- Sanjay Dutt, Mahesh Manjrekar to again team up for 'De Dhakka' remake
- 'Jagga Jasoos' will work irrespective of delay if made well: Basu
- Don't want to be known as Dalit filmmaker: 'Kabali' director
- Sonakshi Sinha croons for 'Akira'
- Supriya has an edge over me as an actor: Sachin Pilgaonkar
- Tarun Arora plays the baddie in Chiranjeevi's 150th film
The lightning scar of Harry Potter is the most recognisable symbol of the character from t
Route Mobile Limited, a messaging and voice API company, on Thursday announced it has acqu