- Alia shares her dating fundas for V-DayNimrat Kaur's 'dream come true' at sis's weddingChiranjeevi's daughter set for second marriageModi inaugurates Make In India's first CentreSana Khan's photo shoot for V-DayApple to launch iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3Ten top best destinations to visit in USHottest Kissing Scenes Of Bollywood!Kareena excited about her look in 'Ki and Ka'Revealed: Why Parineeti Chopra wants to sing
India produced a disappointing performance to lose to arch-rivals Pakistan 0-1 in a lacklu
Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws Last Updated : 16 Dec 2012 01:19:40 PM IST Connecticut Shooting:Obama to meet victims' kin,Families seeks change in gun laws
President Barack Obama arrives in Connecticut on Sunday to join in the mourning for 20 children, who were slaughtered by a gunman who forced his way into their school and shot them with a rifle at close range.
Connecticut shooting is the latest massacre after the similar massacre in Colorado theatre and Wisconsin gurdwara,putting pressure on the Obama administration to take action on the country's gun laws.
Obama's appearence is very significant as people are loking for meaningful action to prevent such tragedies in the wake of massacre .
Meanwhile, an online petition addressed to the White House, which calls for addressing the issue of gun control immediately through legislation in US Congress, secured over43,000 signatures in the aftermath of the tragic shooting at the elementary school.
The President will visit Newtown to "meet with the families of those who were lost" and thank first responders,White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said.
20-year-old Adam Lanza has been identified as the lone gunman who, after killing his mother at home, opened indiscriminate fire in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown and gunned down 20 children aged between 5 and 10 as well as six adults.
Lanza, wearing black combat gear and armed with semi-automatic pistol and a semi-automatic rifle, isunderstood to have then turned the weapon on himself and was found dead inside the school building.
The incident sent shockwaves across America and an emotional President Barack Obama called for "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies" as he fought back tears in a televised press conference and said the "beautiful little kids" who were killed "had their entire lives ahead of them --birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own."
He said America has gone through such "tragedies" too many times and the nation has to come together and take "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this,regardless of the politics."
"Whether it's an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a (Sikh) temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theatre in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago --these neighbourhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," he said wiping away tears and pausing forseveral seconds as he tried to regain his composure.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Alia Bhatt shares her dating fundas on Valentine's Day.
- Nimrat Kaur's 'dream come true' at sis's wedding
- Chiranjeevi's daughter set for second marriage
- Sana Khan's photo shoot for V-Day
- Hottest Kissing Scenes Of Bollywood!
- Really! Priyanka Chopra might go to the moon for a new film?
- Kareena excited about her look in 'Ki and Ka'
- Revealed: Why Parineeti Chopra wants to sing
- Aishwarya visits Golden Temple for 'Sarabjit' shooting
Kristina Pimenova,a 10-year-old Russian girl, has sparked controversy by landing a top mo
Apple to launch iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 on March 15th.