- Shocking! See Radhika Apte's pics where she goes nudePics: Stardom during Sri Krishna MahostavBollywood divas who bring loss to producersHow women can keep breasts youngSachin irritated at Sara's Bollywood debut?When Sexy Shruti shakes leg with Kamal HassanRadhika Apte’s front nude pic goes viral on WhattsappMy wife is my life guru: Jon HammShocking pictures of Nepal earthquakeRCB canter to 10-wicket win over Daredevils
Sachin Tendulkar is furious about the news of his daughter Sara making a Bollywood debut.
UN chief warns of crisis across Africa's Sahel Last Updated : 11 Dec 2012 02:56:47 PM IST UN chief warns of crisis across Africa's Sahel
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned that political turmoil, terrorist activity, drug trafficking and arms smuggling are spilling over borders in Africa's Sahel region and threatening peace and security.
The UN chief told the Security Council yesterday that the crisis in Mali, where Islamist groups allied with al-Qaida now control the north, is part of "a sustained, systemic crisis across the entire Sahel region."
"The warning lights for the Sahel region continue to flash," Ban said. "Extreme climatic conditions and fragile economies only add to this toxic brew of vulnerability."
This year, Ban said, an estimated 18.7 million people in the region don't have enough food and over one million children under the age of five are at risk of acute malnutrition.
The secretary-general said the challenges in Mali can't be addressed effectively unless the international community also confronts challenges affecting the broader region, which also includes Mauritania, Niger, Burkina Faso and southern Algeria.
Romano Prodi, the UN envoy for the Sahel, said he is working to organise global support to promote humanitarian aid and long-term development in the region, and to help reunite Mali.He warned that the Sahel crisis "may spread if not tackled in time."
Prodi stressed that nothing can be done on the humanitarian and development fronts "without restoring the unity of Mali in a peaceful Sahel."Mali was plunged into turmoil in March after a coup in the capital of Bamako created a security vacuum. That allowed the secular Tuaregs, who have long felt marginalised by Mali's government, to take half the north as a new homeland.
But months later, the rebels were kicked out by Islamist groups allied with al-Qaida, which have now imposed strict Shariah law in the north.
Prodi said what must happen immediately is preparations for "transparent and free democratic elections as soon as possible."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
This is the most shocking photos ever. No Bollywood actress has been seen doing such a bol
- Kim Kardashian's daughter loves selfies
- US star Lena felt powerless after her rape
- Bruce Jenner decided to change sex
- Pics: Stardom during Sri Krishna Mahostav
- Victoria Beckham proud of son
- Kim Kardashian supports Bruce Jenner
- Lawrence refuses to date Prince Harry
- Bollywood divas who bring loss to producers
In a shocking incident, an infant died of suffocation after her 25-year-old mother alleged
Asus India launched the successor to their much-loved Zenfone range in the Asus Zenfone 2,