- Kajol and Karan Johar bitter spatAamir U-turn on Rani Mukerji\'s MardaaniPoonam Pandey sheds her clothes for Ice Bucket ChallengeBachchan's cheer for KabaddiFurore over Kunal Khemu\'s controversial \'shiva\' tattooGauahar-Kushal relationship on the rocksTop con films of BollywoodGlobal Honour for King KhanKajol\'s day outPics: Katrina Kaif is voted the Sexiest Woman Alive
Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova booked her US Open third-round berth with a gri
Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil Last Updated : 07 Dec 2012 12:26:57 PM IST Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil
Roughly 11,355 litres (3,000 gallons) of oil have spilled into the ocean from a cargo ship accident earlier this week in the northern Bahamas.
At a news conference ,Environment Minister Kenred Dorsett said crews were able to recover a portion of the oily water off Grand Bahama island but he did not provide any specifics of how much. He said chemical dispersants that break up oil were not used out of concern for its effect on marine life.
Dorsett said the worst of the oily mess would be dispersed naturally through wave action and tides."It is preferable to let nature take its course ... allowing the dispersed material to flow with the natural tideinto the Atlantic Ocean where there are no land-based resources at risk," he said.
Bahamian authorities have described the accident as a "tier one spill," the smallest kind.Still, the islands' government expects to notify the United States about the spill off Grand Bahama, the northernmost island in the archipelago off the eastern coast of Florida.
Grand Bahama, about 55 miles from the mainland, is theBahamas' closest island to Florida."We want to let our neighbours know," Transport Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said. "It's not because we anticipate an issue, but as a matter of duty."
After a Tuesday helicopter flight over the damaged vessel,government officials said they saw an oily sheen coming from the damaged container ship and it was apparently heading toward the Florida Straits. On a second observation flight Wednesday, Bahamian environmental official Dwyane Curtis said they did not see evidence of "any residual fuel in the area."
The damaged ship has been towed back into harbour by a local salvage company, whose owner has criticised the government for not doing a better job of cleaning up the spill in the hours after the accident became known.
The islands are investigating caused the hull breach in the Panamanian-flagged cargo ship Eugenia. The vessel is owned by Swiss-based Mediterranean Shipping Co.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan comeback film is with Sanjay Gupta's action suspense thriller Jazba
- Kajol and Karan Johar bitter spat
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt to shoot intimate scenes for film?
- Aamir U-turn on Rani Mukerji's Mardaani
- Poonam Pandey sheds her clothes for Ice Bucket Challenge
- Bachchan's cheer for Kabaddi
- Furore over Kunal Khemu's controversial 'shiva' tattoo
- Gauahar-Kushal relationship on the rocks
- Top con films of Bollywood
Half-naked revellers pelted each other with tomatoes and bathed in red goo in Spain's Toma
Xiaomi will be launching its affordable smartphone Redmi 1s in India on Sept 2.