- Hema Malini injured in road accidentWhy children love Salman?Aashiqui girl's tell all autobiogrphyAbrar Nadiadwala entered Marathi filmKnow how to become famous on FacebookSuper-Hot teaser of 'Calendar Girls' out!Abhishek Bachchan's 'All is Well' trailer releasedAditi feels alone, neglected in BollywoodShahid\'s step mom reveals the inside story of wedding preparationsI would be slapped for telling my mom\'s age: SRK
Indian women go into Saturday's hockey encounter with Japan in the World League Semifinals
Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil Last Updated : 07 Dec 2012 12:26:57 PM IST Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil
Roughly 11,355 litres (3,000 gallons) of oil have spilled into the ocean from a cargo ship accident earlier this week in the northern Bahamas.
At a news conference ,Environment Minister Kenred Dorsett said crews were able to recover a portion of the oily water off Grand Bahama island but he did not provide any specifics of how much. He said chemical dispersants that break up oil were not used out of concern for its effect on marine life.
Dorsett said the worst of the oily mess would be dispersed naturally through wave action and tides."It is preferable to let nature take its course ... allowing the dispersed material to flow with the natural tideinto the Atlantic Ocean where there are no land-based resources at risk," he said.
Bahamian authorities have described the accident as a "tier one spill," the smallest kind.Still, the islands' government expects to notify the United States about the spill off Grand Bahama, the northernmost island in the archipelago off the eastern coast of Florida.
Grand Bahama, about 55 miles from the mainland, is theBahamas' closest island to Florida."We want to let our neighbours know," Transport Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said. "It's not because we anticipate an issue, but as a matter of duty."
After a Tuesday helicopter flight over the damaged vessel,government officials said they saw an oily sheen coming from the damaged container ship and it was apparently heading toward the Florida Straits. On a second observation flight Wednesday, Bahamian environmental official Dwyane Curtis said they did not see evidence of "any residual fuel in the area."
The damaged ship has been towed back into harbour by a local salvage company, whose owner has criticised the government for not doing a better job of cleaning up the spill in the hours after the accident became known.
The islands are investigating caused the hull breach in the Panamanian-flagged cargo ship Eugenia. The vessel is owned by Swiss-based Mediterranean Shipping Co.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Hansal Mehta is a filmmaker who is renowned for his ability to make engaging cinema from r
- Pooja Bhatt refused 'Aashiqui' for love
- Who first came to meet Hema Malini after the accident?
- Nargis Fakhri to play Sangeeta Bijlani in biopic 'Azhar'
- Salman tweets Sooraj Pancholi's tattoo from 'Hero'
- Bollywood couples who did not go on honeymoon
- No aaj ki party song in Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Salman Khan finally ready to get married as per his family's wish
- Why Alia Bhatt dislikes her father Mahesh Bhatt's frankness
The state's Technical Education and Training Minister Ujjal Biswas said that the student s
Xiaomi the smartphone giant which offers great features at less prices has yet made anothe