- Review: 'Waiting' Actors rule the roostSonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film FestivalKaran Johar celebrates birthday with star kidsWhen Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'Wear the right shoe for the right occasion!Aamir Khan, McKellen discuss Shakespeare at MAMI Film Club launchYes, Virat Kohli and Anushka are backSee Sofia Hayat before she became a nunMedia has dishonoured Iulia: SalmanAyutthaya: Once a flourishing temple city
India's tennis stars Sania Mirza, Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna got their French Open cam
Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil Last Updated : 07 Dec 2012 12:26:57 PM IST Bahamas: Cargo ship spilled 11,355 litres of oil
Roughly 11,355 litres (3,000 gallons) of oil have spilled into the ocean from a cargo ship accident earlier this week in the northern Bahamas.
At a news conference ,Environment Minister Kenred Dorsett said crews were able to recover a portion of the oily water off Grand Bahama island but he did not provide any specifics of how much. He said chemical dispersants that break up oil were not used out of concern for its effect on marine life.
Dorsett said the worst of the oily mess would be dispersed naturally through wave action and tides."It is preferable to let nature take its course ... allowing the dispersed material to flow with the natural tideinto the Atlantic Ocean where there are no land-based resources at risk," he said.
Bahamian authorities have described the accident as a "tier one spill," the smallest kind.Still, the islands' government expects to notify the United States about the spill off Grand Bahama, the northernmost island in the archipelago off the eastern coast of Florida.
Grand Bahama, about 55 miles from the mainland, is theBahamas' closest island to Florida."We want to let our neighbours know," Transport Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said. "It's not because we anticipate an issue, but as a matter of duty."
After a Tuesday helicopter flight over the damaged vessel,government officials said they saw an oily sheen coming from the damaged container ship and it was apparently heading toward the Florida Straits. On a second observation flight Wednesday, Bahamian environmental official Dwyane Curtis said they did not see evidence of "any residual fuel in the area."
The damaged ship has been towed back into harbour by a local salvage company, whose owner has criticised the government for not doing a better job of cleaning up the spill in the hours after the accident became known.
The islands are investigating caused the hull breach in the Panamanian-flagged cargo ship Eugenia. The vessel is owned by Swiss-based Mediterranean Shipping Co.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Director: Anu Menon; Cast: Naseeruddin Shah, Kalki Koechlin, Rajat Kapoor, Arjun Mathur, R
- Sonam, McKellen inaugurate Kashish Film Festival
- Karan Johar celebrates birthday with star kids
- Big B to host only segment of Modi's bash
- Arijit Singh apology to Sultan star Salman Khan, pleading to retain his song; deletes it later
- When Salman Khan was in tears while shooting for 'Sultan'
- Stars wish Karan Johar on birthday
- Why Arijit deletes his apology letter to Salman
- Watch: salman Khan film sultan trailer released
The number of people in Britain who have tried e-cigarettes has almost doubled in just two
Virtual dog to teach robots to perform tasks intelligently
The 'World's Ugliest Dog' won a Hero Award for helping people with disabilities
Bones of ancient, extinct species of bison uncovered
Hundreds witness Mercury transit in Delhi, scientists in Srinagar disappointed
Leading astronomers to see 'Transit of Mercury' from Srinagar
In a bid to heat up the premium flagship smartphone segment, Taiwan-based company HTC on T