- Know all about Yuvraj-Hazel December weddingSmall screen celebrities who were fired from their jobsDid you find SRK in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil''Banjo': tedious, but braveMovie review 'Parched'These Bollywood films get affected by MNS diktatIncomplete Bollywood love storiesBollywood Biopics, saluting sports spiritExplore spiritual getaways in IndiaLagaan... based ride finds place at Dubai theme park
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated Indian medallists at the recently-hel
China lands J-15 jet on Liaoning aircraft carrier Last Updated : 25 Nov 2012 02:09:05 PM IST China lands J-15 jet on Liaoning aircraft carrier
China said it has successfully landed a fighter jet on its first aircraft carrier, a move that would help project its growing military might amid simmering maritime disputes with some of its key neighbours.
The successful flight landing on 'The Liaoning' aircraft carrier also marked the debut of the J-15 as China's first generation multi-purpose carrier-borne fighter jet, the PLA Navy said.
After its delivery to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on September 25, the aircraft carrier has undergone a series of sailing and technological tests, including the flight of the carrier-borne J-15, the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted a defence ministry statement as saying.
"Capabilities of the carrier platform and the J-15 have been tested, meeting all requirements and achieving good compatibility," the PLA Navy said. Since the carrier entered service, the crew have completed more than 100 training and test programmes, it said.
Designed by and made in China, the J-15 is able to carry multi-type anti-ship, air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles,as well as precision-guided bombs. The carrier, originally called the Varyag, was originally purchased from Ukraine and has undergone extensive renovation in the northeastern Chinese port of Dalian.
China says the Liaoning will help "effectively protect national sovereignty, security and development interests". The announcement of the successful first landing of a fighter jet on the Liaoning comes as China and Japan are embroiled in a dispute over islands they both claim.
China is also locked in a similar maritime territorial dispute with Vietnam and the Philippines in the resource-rich South China Sea.
China is also worried about the Obama administration's recently adopted strategic "pivot" back to Asia after years of being focused on the Middle East.
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Neeraj Pandey plans to head out for a "long break" just two days before his latest 'baby',
- Priyanka Chopra found it 'weird' to audition for 'Quantico'
- Famous bold lip-locks of B-town divas we can never forget
- Being a celebrity isn't a piece of cake: Raveena Tandon
- Kailash Kher's latest video for Swachh Bharat!
- Musical tribute to Jagjit Singh by 'Tum Bin 2' makers
- Salman gets inspired from Indiana Jones
- I've lived an unpredictable life: Nimrat Kaur
- Chris Martin calls Katrina 'Katrina Kaif Kapoor'
Using state-of-the-art equipment, Australian researchers have managed to solve an 800-yea
With a focus on tech-savvy consumers who need compact machines with on-the-go printing f