- Pics: B-Town celebrates P.V. Sindhu's Olympic win'Happy Bhag Jayegi': A light-hearted, feel-good filmCelebrities hail Sakshi Malik's Olympic winPink is not a film about rape, says Amitabh BachchanOn Rakhi, TV actors recount memories with 'partners in crime'B-Town celebs wish Navroz Mubarak to ParsisBritish-era bunker unearthed in Raj BhavanLeaked: Sex Scenes from award winning film 'Parched'Entertainment Being an actress, I can be anybody: Priyanka ChopraCheck out Salman's 'Tubelight' first look
Northern Ireland on Wednesday announced a 23-member football squad for the World Cup quali
China lands J-15 jet on Liaoning aircraft carrier Last Updated : 25 Nov 2012 02:09:05 PM IST China lands J-15 jet on Liaoning aircraft carrier
China said it has successfully landed a fighter jet on its first aircraft carrier, a move that would help project its growing military might amid simmering maritime disputes with some of its key neighbours.
The successful flight landing on 'The Liaoning' aircraft carrier also marked the debut of the J-15 as China's first generation multi-purpose carrier-borne fighter jet, the PLA Navy said.
After its delivery to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on September 25, the aircraft carrier has undergone a series of sailing and technological tests, including the flight of the carrier-borne J-15, the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted a defence ministry statement as saying.
"Capabilities of the carrier platform and the J-15 have been tested, meeting all requirements and achieving good compatibility," the PLA Navy said. Since the carrier entered service, the crew have completed more than 100 training and test programmes, it said.
Designed by and made in China, the J-15 is able to carry multi-type anti-ship, air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles,as well as precision-guided bombs. The carrier, originally called the Varyag, was originally purchased from Ukraine and has undergone extensive renovation in the northeastern Chinese port of Dalian.
China says the Liaoning will help "effectively protect national sovereignty, security and development interests". The announcement of the successful first landing of a fighter jet on the Liaoning comes as China and Japan are embroiled in a dispute over islands they both claim.
China is also locked in a similar maritime territorial dispute with Vietnam and the Philippines in the resource-rich South China Sea.
China is also worried about the Obama administration's recently adopted strategic "pivot" back to Asia after years of being focused on the Middle East.Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Popular Pakistani singer Atif Aslam has backed out of his scheduled performance at a conce
- B-town stars greet fans on Janmashtami
- Ariana Grande sued for copyright infringement
- Shraddha, Sushant walks for at Malhotra at LFW
- Britney Spears biopic coming to TV soon
- Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami
- 'Remo' director to reunite with film's makers
- Bhavna Bhavnani abuses Salman Khan to sell her book
- Deepika Padukone among worl'd richest actresses now
The world's largest natural pearl will be put on display in the Philippines soon, after th
Tech giant Microsoft has acquired artificial intelligence (AI)-based scheduling service Ge