- PICS: Soha Ali Khan\'s mehendi ceremonyMovie Review: Dolly Ki DoliTrisha Krishnan, Varun Manian engagedInside Soha Ali Khan\'s bachelorette bashBaby, and other Bollywood films on terrorismShweta Basu, accused in sex racket, does a glamorous photo shootHappy Basant Panchami 2015: Images, Wallpapers, GreetingsRaveena Tandon to play negative role in \'Shab\'Senpaga Vinayagar Temple renovation completeObama\'s Armored \'Beast\' in city for Republic day
Leander Paes and Martina Hingis won their mixed doubles opener while Rohan Bopanna and Bar
Osama Bin Laden burial: Traditional Islamic procedures followed Last Updated : 22 Nov 2012 01:59:05 PM IST File photo
The burial at sea of Osama bin Laden, killed in a raid by the US Navy SEALs in Pakistan,followed traditional Islamic procedures and no sailors watched it, according to newly released military e-mails.
"Any sailors watch the burial?" a Navy commander asked the public affairs officer on the USS Carl Vinson on a May 3,2011, e-mail.
"Only a small group of the leadership was informed --less than a dozen," the public affairs officer replied. Another e-mail stated, "Burial no sailors watched." Ten heavily redacted e-mails were released by the Department of Defence in response to a Freedom of Information lawsuit initially filed by the watchdog group Judicial Watch.
The Carl Vinson was the carrier where the SEALs took bin Laden's body by helicopter after he was killed during the May 2, 2011, raid at his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan In communications between high-ranking officers, the e-mails describe Islamic burial procedures being carried out with no fanfare, apparently with few of the officers and enlisted personnel aboard the huge carrier aware of what was going on aboard their ship.
"Traditional procedures for Islamic burial was followed,"said one e-mail, adding, "The deceased's body was washed (ablution) then placed in a white sheet. The body was placed in a weighted bag, a military officer read prepared religious remarks, which were translated into Arabic by a native speaker."
"After the words were complete, the body was placed on a prepared flat board, tipped up, whereupon the deceased's body slid into the sea," it said.
The e-mail detailing the burial account was sent on May 2,2011, and addressed to former Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen.
Naval officers used code words in some of the e-mails exchanged shortly after the raid was completed, with an exchange between two admirals including, "FEDEX delivered the package. Both trucks are safely enroute home base."
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Actress Soha Ali Khan today tied the knot with longtime partner Kunal Khemu in an intimate
- Mallika Sherawat to enter Bigg Boss Halla Bol
- Patrick Stewart praises Jennifer Lawrence
- Aamir Khan's 'PK' to release in China
- 'Superstars should do content-based cinema'
- Ayushmann to act in Punjabi film?
- New Censor board for films, books on Sikhs
- PICS: Soha Ali Khan's mehendi ceremony
- Movie Review: Dolly Ki Doli
Dog is man's best friend, and we have wolves to thank for it!
Chinese handset maker Xiaomi will be launching its latest 4G device Mi4 in India on Jan 28