- Freida to promote women empowerment at CannesDaily yoga can help reduce multiple sclerosis symptomsRelease of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next yearWear sunglasses to avoid eye damageBig B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards functionWant my fan base to increase in South: HumaSee what Bips made Karan do post weddingAndamans gets a leg-up to showcase heritageFIRST LOOK: Varun, Alia in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'Care for your hair in simple steps this summer!
The Indian women's hockey team lost 0-2 in their opening encounter of the five-match Test
Indian Parliamentary delegation in Pakistan for SAARC meet Last Updated : 04 Nov 2012 03:27:55 PM IST Indian Parliamentary delegation in Pakistan for SAARC meet
Delegations from India, Sri Lanka,Bangladesh, Maldives, Afghanistan and Bhutan arrived in the Pakistani capital on Sunday to attend the sixth conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians .
SAARC will focus on issues like meaningful participatory democracy and food security in South Asia.
President Asif Ali Zardari will inaugurate the three-day meet, the main objective of which is to strengthen people-to-people contacts to foster mutual understanding,trust and friendship in the region.
The Indian delegation is being led by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who had made a considerable impact on Pakistani politicians during a bilateral visit to Islamabad in February.
Faisal Karim Kundi, the Deputy Speaker of Pakistan's National Assembly or lower house of Parliament, said in a statement that the conference will promote a positive image of Pakistan and the participants will be informed about the Parliament's performance over the past four years.
Speakers and Parliamentarians of the region will discuss a host of issues related to regional cooperation, promotion of democratic values and good governance. The conference will also focus on meaningful participatory democracy in South Asia, food security in the region and Parliament's role in accomplishing the Millennium Development Goals.
It is also a forum for exchanging ideas and information on Parliamentary practices and procedures. The conference supports the work of SAARC and promotes knowledge of its principles and activities among parliamentarians of South Asia.
The first conference of the SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians was held in New Delhi in 1995. The current conference is being hosted by National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza, who led the Pakistani delegation to the last meet held in New Delhi in July 2011.
Source: IANS, Other Agencies, Staff Reporters
For Latest Updates Please-
Join us on
Follow us on
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
US-based Indian actress Freida Pinto will reportedly attend the upcoming 69th Cannes Inter
- Randeep Hooda brilliant in 'Sarbjit': Johnny Lever
- SRK, AbRam practise dance moves for KKR match
- Release of SRK's 'Raees' pushed to next year
- Justin Bieber being sued for $100,000
- Shekhar Suman again hits out at Kangana Ranaut
- National Awards: Big B 'touched' by president's speech
- Big B, Kangana, Kalki, Kabir, Bhansali at their best in awards function
- Evans, Downey Jr helped Holland in justifying Spiderma
In a weird incident in Turkey, a 34-year man was beaten black and blue for doing a lewd ac
Sony India on Monday launched a new portable wireless speaker for music aficionados in Ind