- Karan Johar to start filming \'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil\' in LondonI am protective about Shahid says Shaandaar AliaDid \'Shaandar\' because concept was fresh: Shahid KapoorFamous Bollywood star siblingsReview Phantom: 10 reasons to watch itSaif Ali does not want Kareena to sufferWhy Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar KaroonHaven\'t re-shot anything for \'Jagga Jasoos\': Katrina KaifLet’s know about the celebs through their tattoosYou will make your fathers proud: SRK to Athiya, Sooraj
Congress President Sonia Gandhi congratulated Sania Mirza for receiving the Rajiv Gandhi K
Myanmar's Suu Kyi begins landmark US visit Last Updated : 18 Sep 2012 09:41:55 AM IST Myanmar's Suu Kyi begins landmark US visit
Myanmar's democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi arrived on a 17-day whirl-wind tour of the United States, her first visit to the country after being released from house arrest in 2010.
Suu Kyi is scheduled to meet top American leaders including, the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton; in Washington on Tuesday and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in New York later in the week.
The Nobel Peace laureate will be presented with Congress' highest award - the Congressional Gold Medal - during her visit that comes as the Obama administration considers easing remaining sanctions on Myanmar.
"She's been a very strong voice for continued ties between our country for education, for reform, all those kinds of things. The Secretary (of State) takes counsel with her whenever she can, and I think they'll have another opportunity for that tomorrow," the State Department spokesperson,Victoria Nuland, told reporters at her daily news ' title=' news '>news conference.
"The changes and reform steps that we've seen in Burma (Myanmar) in the last year are qualitatively and quantitatively broader and deeper than we had seen at any time before, with the allowing of Suu Kyi's party to run, with release of prisoners, with the outreach to all of the minority groups," she said.
During the Washington-leg of her trip Aung San Suu Kyi is expected to meet a host of US lawmakers, who are also hoisting a private reception of her in addition to presenting her with the Congressional Gold Medal award on Wednesday.
Aung San Suu Kyi to meet Ban ki Moon
After four-day stay in Washington, Aung San Suu Kyi (ASSK) would travel to New York on September 21 where she is expected to meet the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon and a possible meeting with her fellow Noble Laureate.
Staying in New York during the annual UN General Assembly, she is expected to meet a host of world leaders,possible address the world body.
Among her publicly announced events, Aung San Suu Kyi would receive the Global Citizen Award from the Atlantic Council in New York on September 21. Congressman Joseph Crowley and she would be speaking together in Queens, Flushing in New York.
Aung San Suu Kyi would spending September 23 and 24 in Louisville, Kentucky which includes sighting at the Robert Clay Hourse Farm, which is widely known as one of the world's preeminent horse farms with Senator Mitch McConnell.
Both of them would be addressing the University of Louisville. From Louisville, the popular Burmese leader would head to Fort Wayne, in Indiana, which is known as Little Burma, given that it has among the highest concentration of the Burmese community in the US.
She would be back to New York for a day on September 26, before heading to New Haven for a Chubb Fellow lecture at the prestigious Yale University.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Filmmaker Karan Johar is set to begin shooting his upcoming directorial venture "Ae Dil Ha
- I am protective about Shahid says Shaandaar Alia
- Did 'Shaandar' because concept was fresh: Shahid Kapoor
- Famous Bollywood star siblings
- SRK offers help to Karan Johar
- Add Bollywood flavour to Raksha Bandhan
- Review Phantom: 10 reasons to watch it
- Saif Ali does not want Kareena to suffer
- Why Kapil Sharma was the chosen one for Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon
Scientists have discovered that Roman-era Egyptian mummy portraits used the pigment Egypti
Lenovo starts smartphone manufacturing in India.