- Sonam most stylish celebrity in Bollywood: RodricksPriyanka turns brand ambassador of UnnatiTanisha not afraid to \'Go Pink\'PICS of new BMW carsMovies to watch in December 2014Vegetarian delicacies at SAARC retreatTMC members wear black shawl in LSVeena Malik: Queen of controversiesPICS: Growing roses in drought too!Why Priyanka Chopra fainted on the sets several times
Upbeat over winning the China Open title and moving up to the fourth spot in the latest BW
Russia:Meteor exploded with force of 30 times more than Hiroshima N-bombs Last Updated : 17 Feb 2013 01:57:04 PM IST Russia:Meteor exploded with force of 30 times more than Hiroshima N-bombs
The meteor that streaked across the Russian skies on Friday, injuring around 1,200 people,exploded with a force 30 times greater than the Hiroshima nuclear bomb, NASA scientists said.
The 55 foot wide rock with a mass of 10,000 tonnes lit up the sky above the Urals region, causing shockwaves and damaging thousands of homes in an event unprecedented in modern times.
"It had an energy greater than (all) the weapons used in World War II," Bill Cooke, leader of the Meteoroid Environments Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center,told the 'New York Daily News'.
The dazzling fireball burned brighter than the Sun as it unleashed nearly 500 kilotons of energy, around 30 times the size of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.Shockwaves from the aerial explosion injured some 1,200 people and wrecked thousands of homes as residents cowered from the apocalyptic momentum in the city of Chelyabinsk, some 1497 km east of Moscow.
"Imagine a shock wave coming through a city with glass flying from all these tall buildings. Walls collapsed ...doors were blown in and a lot of people were injured by flying debris," Cooke said.
The fiery 643734 kph streak disintegrated 32.5 seconds after blasting through the atmosphere about 24 kilometres up,according to new data culled from five infrared stations located throughout the world. The trajectory of the Russian meteor (north to south) diverged so greatly from Asteroid DA14's near-Earth flyby (south to north) that scientists insist they are unrelated phenomena.
"They occurred the same day so some people would assume that the meteor was a chunk of DA14 but that's not true," said
The meteor is the largest reported since 1908 when one crashed into Tunguska, Siberia, about 4828 km to the east. "We would expect an event of this magnitude to occur once every 100 years on average," said Paul Chodas of NASA's
Near-Earth Object Program Office.
"When you have a fireball of this size we would expect a large number of meteorites to reach the surface and in this
case there were probably some large ones," he said.
Post Your Comment (0 posted):
Renowned fashion designer Wendell Rodricks feels Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor is the mos
- Veena Malik shocked over her conviction
- Priyanka turns brand ambassador of Unnati
- Tanisha not afraid to 'Go Pink'
- Movies to watch in December 2014
- Veena Malik: Queen of controversies
- Why Priyanka Chopra fainted on the sets several times
- Lindsay not invited in father's wedding
- Pamela Anderson sends tips to B-wood
A video of young elephant fighting with 14 lions has gone viral on You Tube.
Microsoft Devices has launched its first Lumia handset in India for Rs 9,199.